www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning Water Line
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:02 pm 
Minnow

My boat slip is on the Toms River which is cedar water and leaves a brownish scum line. While it is easy to clean when I am at the beach or other shallow water swimming, it is a nuisance-especially since the rest of the boat is well maintained.

Any tips for coating at and above the water line to make it more resistant to staining?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:10 am 
268 Vista

Preventing the stained bottom is nearly impossible if the boat is slipped. You can take it out and have it acid washed, or do it yourself with Star Brite Hull Cleaner. Or just get the brush out each time you go out, and start scrubbing.

Bottom paint is the only other alternative to constant cleaning in your situation. It may not be something you want to do .

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:59 am 
Minnow

Is there any side effects of not cleaning the bottom? I keep my boat slipped and have noticed all the growth below the water line. This is the first year I have had the boat and diddnt plan on taking it out until the end of summer. Is it ok not to clean the bottom utnil the end of the season? or should I be cleaning it more frequently?

Dan
2006 Four Winns Horizon 180

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:41 pm 
Minnow

Actually, my boat is bottom painted. However, water action results in staining above the paint level. I was hoping that there was a coating or wax that might be more resistant to staiing above the water line.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:38 am 
Shark

BOO BOO,
I boat on the Mullica River where the water is very dark! I trailer it so when I get home I clean the well waxed hull with 407 and it seems to work ok for me. Keep the 407 away from vinyl.
Better to have a little fresh water hull stain than a rusted out engine from salt.

Post subject: clear coating
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 pm 
Guppy

I use a sailboat product called SKAT, it's hard to find but I got it at Boater's World the last 2 seasons and will reapply more this season, it's a clear wax like repellent which supposedly speeds up the bottom for boats. worked just fine for me and a pal I recommended it to thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 pm 
Sting Ray

Raise your paint line a couple of inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:02 pm 
Dolphin

njlarry and hey boo boo.... Star Brite works really well. We don't leave ours in, but it only takes a day in the Manasquan or Navasink, or the two weeks we keep her in Ocean City and things get fairly well stained.... light touch with Star Brite and it comes right off. Have to keep at it though.

Hey Boo .....any launch sites you can recommend in Toms River. I'm getting tired of going thru the canal....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just cleaned my hull with Simoniz hull cleaner. Wow, did it ever do a good job. Sprayed it on, let it sit for 2 minutes and rinsed it off. Re-applied on the tougher stains, and the hull is spotless. Simoniz has 2 hull cleaning products; 1 with hydrochloric acid and the other with oxalic acid which is what I choose to use. Don't know what the difference is or if the result would have been different. Scanning the labels of similar products, all contain 1 of these 2 acids.

Question, do I need to wax the hull below the waterline after using these cleaners? Is waxing going to slow the growth and staining process, or is it strictly cosmetic and for show when the boat is sitting on the trailer? I was planning to wax as much of the hull as I can reach, but how far should I go.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:13 pm 
Clownfish

We used Zing on the tough stains around the water line (above the bottom paint). It's basically muriatic acid, so be very very careful!!

but, no scrubbing.

btw- if you use it be prepared to paint the bottom afterward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:41 am 
email admin your custom rank

DanFW180,

The most likely effect you will see if you don't clean it often enough is a decrease in speed or holeshot (and likewise, fuel efficiency) due to excessive growth on the hull creating drag. A friend of mine slipped his boat from April to November without a lift one year. In late September, he started noticing a loss of power and performance. Spent about 3 weekends trying to figure it out, throwing money at it in parts, draining gas tank, etc. Finally gave up and took it over to his mechanic, who cleaned the bottom and it ran good as new.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)