www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We will still use our boat as much as last year. We pay for the boat all year. So we are going to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 pm 
Mental Floss

We will be using the boat(s) just as much, however we will be cutting back on the distance we cruise with the big one. I'm expecting the day trips to be more on the small one (single 3.0l compared to twin 5.0l).

I do believe we will be smarter on our cruises as well. The trip to Hontoon for an overnight stay was 28 miles or less than 20 gals including a stop at Blue Springs for a refreshing dip. A slip at the State park was a whopping $13.50 and we cooked on the boat. Overall, Ben and I had a great time for less than $100.

Now the increase in gas would be passe' if I can convince the Admiral that a night on the hook in secluded cove is by far nicer than some face pants marina!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am 
268 Vista

And yet another survey, and the results.

NMMA survey says 94 per cent of boaters will stay on the water

By IBI Magazine

Results of a study released today said that 94 per cent of 1,900 boaters would be on the water "as usual." The study was conducted earlier this month by the Recreational Marine Research Center (RMRC) and sponsored by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and West Marine.

The findings are part of the Boat Owners' Spending Habits Monthly Survey, conducted on a monthly basis from April through September each year. The May study revealed that while 57 per cent of boaters' vacation plans will be affected by rising gas prices, they're more likely to curtail other activities this summer — dining out (45 per cent), entertainment (45 per cent) and driving (52 per cent) — as opposed to reducing the amount they go boating (25 per cent).

"Boaters are out on the water to relax and spend time with friends and family," says Thom Dammrich, NMMA president, in the statement. "Boating is a lifestyle that isn't going to be significantly affected by what happens with prices at the pump."

(24 May 2006)

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:50 pm 
Starfish

Jeffski wrote:
My goal every summer is to use the boat more than the year before and this year is no different.

I am with you Jeffski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:00 pm 
Clownfish

We live in Grand Rapids and trailer around 100 miles on weekends, down to Kalamazoo and sometimes to Grand Haven/Muskegon as well as several times up to Mackinaw, MI. For us it's not the actual gas in the boat but the 10 miles per gallon in the tow vehicle. Will it stop or slow me down on the boat? If it did why did I get the boat in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:30 pm 
Tadpole

The only change I've made is where I fill up the boat. Joe's Travel Stop has gas prices that are about 10 cents lower than the next closet place. But I probably loose that advantage by towing the boat 20 miles out of the way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:17 am 

Gas prices wont change my boating plans but they did however, make me wiser.
For example - every time we pull the boat out of the marina on the trailer to bring it home and clean the bottom off, or put a coat of wax on the top, we stop at the gas station on land on the way back to the marina and top off. Not that the additional $1/gallon more they charge at the marina is going to kill me but I always try to find a way to not let "the man" get me...LOL :lol:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:47 pm 
Starfish

Today on the way out of our marina I stopped at the fuel dock to "fill 'er up". Gas had dropped from its high of $3.29/gal to $3.09 per gal. Factor in the Discover card 5% cash back on gas (until 6/30/06) and not that bad. Still the fill was $246. We tubed, we ran the genny, we cruised around. I don't run WOT anyway, and I'm watching my new Navman fuel management data to select the sweetest spot for economy AND fun.

I'm thinking very strongly of becoming a two boat family. I was a sailor before being a motorboating and I do miss sailing. My eldest son likes sailing too. So I'm considering buying a West Wight Potter 15 for those pesky windy days and when I just want to go out myself, or with my older son. My wife does not like boats that "tilt" and is scared of turning over in a sailboat. My 4 yo daughter is not ready for sailing. But many days I'm the only one free to boat, so the sailboat would be fun and NO GAS!

Scottsboro, Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:15 am 
Shark

LOL - thats a laugh... Americans complaining about fuel prices!
2 years ago, when i got my boat, fuel was A$0.87c per litre. Now its A$1.30 or so. In US terms, its $4.10 per gallon, which seems to be about twice the price you guys pay !!!

Still, in answer to the survey, fuel costs wont impact much on our boat use. If it was that big an issue in the first place, I'd have bought that nice 42ft yacht !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 pm 
Minnow

Hey Aussie....

We here in Canada are much like you. Just filled up on the w/e (finally some nice weather to cruise....). Our Marina in Ontario is at $1.30/litre (or like you said - $4.10/Gallon U.S.). Most of it is taxes-like everything else here.

Anyway, I agree with you, if the fuel prices ruled my boating world, I would be fit and trim (unfortunately not the case) while windsurfing lake Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:54 pm 
Seahorse

Hey Zeke - I don't know where you on L. Ontario, but Fifty Point is $1.15 per Litre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:35 am 
268 Vista

$4.10 per gallon !!! Wow, that is steep. I have not bought gas yet this year from the marina, I burned up most of what was left in the tank this weekend.
I'll have to gas up this weekend. I think it's about $3.50 right now. Hopefully it will go down a little bit.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:59 am 
Minnow

Hey Sprint8,
I'm at Ontario Place - we were at $1.10 last year. Looks like I'll have to stop by 50 Point this year for a fill-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:14 am 

I saw 3.20 to 3.30 on Lake Erie this weekend. I took 20 gallons out with me that I bought at Costco for 2.60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm 
Shark

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
$4.10 per gallon !!! Wow, that is steep. I have not bought gas yet this year from the marina, I burned up most of what was left in the tank this weekend.
I'll have to gas up this weekend. I think it's about $3.50 right now. Hopefully it will go down a little bit.

ROFL - $4.10 is at the gas station (trailable boats !!!). Marina fuel is about 40% dearer. I reckon you could say US$5.50 per litre. Makes you wonder how those big boats with their 2500L ( ~800Gallon) tanks go. But i guess if you can afford the multi million dollar vessel, the fuels not a big concern