www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:12 pm 
All Night Long

I am all set on a Horizon 240... unforutnately, my dealer here just doesn't offer the deals that other dealers do... and we're talking a 10 thousand dollar difference... not chump change...

Anyways... I found a dealer that I am excited about pursuing a deal with... unfortunately, they are almost 3 thousand miles from me. Ideally, I'd like to fly out... spend 1-2 days for the boat purchase, wet test, etc... and then rent a truck to trailer it home with....

Does anyone know of a rental agency that allows towing with their vehicles? I haven't been able to find one...

Oh - and I looked into having the boat shipped - but at a price of nearly 4 thousand dollars, it seems a bit outrageous. I'd rather take come vacation time and go on an adventure...

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:29 pm 
Goldfish

U-Haul and other moving companies have trucks set up with hitches etc. to pull cars and trailers. I would think most moving truck rental outfits would also. They are also used to talking about one way rentals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:59 pm 
230 Mike

There are also companies who specialize in transporting boats. I'd get a quote from one before committing to anything.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:37 pm 
wkearney99

And have you considered how you're going to get it serviced locally? Boat's aren't like cars, you can't just head over to a different chevy dealer to get things done. A great many boat dealerships WILL NOT service boats not purchased from them. So your 'deal' might be a nightmare should you need support.

Get the pricing on paper from the distant dealer and then take to the local folks. There's a lot of wiggle room for serious purchasers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:03 pm 
All Night Long

I have looked into UHaul... and by the time you rent a truck for 2k, gas for 1k, and hotels... it costs you almost the same to ship it out for 3800...

I think we may drive out and get it... it's a weeks worth of vacation and about 1500 for gas on the Yukon...

As for dealer servicing. I should say my local dealer has a less than steller reputation in the area when it comes to servicing... and in terms of boat pricing, most of my local dealers are about 10% more than if I use the other dealer.

I do have to say that the remote dealer I have been working with has been super-fantastic. Once the deal is sealed, I will comment on the board.

As for servicing -- I will use a different brand dealer (Fountain, Regal, Baja) for any Volvo/Penta issues... I am not sure how I will handle warrranty issues yet... I guess I could use my local dealer, but keep a watchful eye on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:48 pm 
wkearney99

Well, don't say I didn't warn you... There are plenty of boat owners that thougth they were getting themselves a deal by buying out of market, only to discover the local dealer would either refuse to service it *at all* or put them at the very back of the list. Warranty won't mean squat if the boat ends up out of the water for 6 weeks waiting for it's turn in a very long list. These aren't cars and it's huge mistake to think they'll be serviced in anything approaching a similar fashion. Especially not for the less expensive models.

And who's to say the volvo/penta service center will give it any priority either?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:17 pm 
Forty six and Two

Side note: My dealer Mainley Marine In Windham Maine is by far the best service I have ever had. They are head and shoulder above any car dealer or priduct service center I ahve ever dealt with. Stan and Andrea are the BEST.

The point about service is more than valid. Id just buy local and make the best deal you can.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I had a friend just drive his new Sundancer 55 from Miami to Houston. Cost him 8k in fuel. Then he had it trucked from Houston to Dallas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 pm 
All Night Long

All of this is great feedback and areas for me to really consider....

In the long run... a couple grand doesn't mean so much... the added value of great service is invaluable.

A buyer has to evaluate all of these considerations along the way. Fortunately, I have fantastic relationships with 2 major marine outfits in the area that will take care of all non-warranty work items... However, having a 3rd relationship would never hurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:14 pm 
AGE < LOA

Txjole wrote:
I had a friend just drive his new Sundancer 55 from Miami to Houston. Cost him 8k in fuel. Then he had it trucked from Houston to Dallas.

lol, what gas pig was he hauling with? Definitely a job for a diesel if anything just for fuel economy. You can rent a diesel from hertz, but they probably wont be into the 1 way thing..

Also, the dealer service thing is overrated. I'd sooner do the work myself so that I know it's done right. Look at all the hack jobs that were the end result of dealers on this board alone!!! Pick up a manual and ask plenty of questions on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:48 pm 
wkearney99

mkivbren wrote:
lol, what gas pig was he hauling with?

Um, I'm guessing that was $8k for BOAT fuel, not over the road. If I ever had to move a boat more than 1000 miles I'd definitely get a quote for over the road transport.

Quote:
Also, the dealer service thing is overrated. I'd sooner do the work myself so that I know it's done right. Look at all the hack jobs that were the end result of dealers on this board alone!!! Pick up a manual and ask plenty of questions on here.

When you have the time and know what you're doing, and the boat's already out of warranty (as in a used boat) then, sure, get info from the factory and have at it. But if you're talking about a NEW boat you do yourself a disservice trading out the built-in coverage. Now in my particular case it's been worth MY time using the boat to end-run the dealer for these trivial bits of work. But if I have a hull problem or something beyond basic remove-and-replace stuff then I'd be up the proverbial creek without having effective local factory support. NOT getting the dealer involved in these 'small' things keeps things from going further off the rails should bigger problems develop.

I wouldn't use the set of issues I'm contending with as a generalization for all dealer issues. I would use them as a warning concerning the importance of investigating local dealer performance. Some are a lot better than others. But I wouldn't use that to justify buying out of market, at least not for a wet-slipped boat. For a trailerable one, maybe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm 
AGE < LOA

Good points Bill^ I figured after I posted he took the boat instead of trailering it which is insane. Thats an easy drive/haul especially with a small boat. So break in occurred on a trip across the Gulf?? That's nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

mkivbren wrote:
Txjole wrote:

lol, what gas pig was he hauling with? Definitely a job for a diesel if anything just for fuel economy. You can rent a diesel from hertz, but they probably wont be into the 1 way thing..

It was on the water. It has a 15ft beam, it had to have permits to travel from Houson to Dallas by road and couldnt use the main highways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:56 pm 
Guppy

Cougarcruiser,

Just wanted to let you know that we bought a 268 Vista and had it transported to us (Dallas, TX to Seattle, WA.). We ended up using http://www.uship.com and it worked out great for us. We paid $3200 to have it delivered door to door. We used PDshipping and we highly recommend this shipper. Let me know if I can help.

2004 Monterey 208 SI
2003 Four Winns 268 Vista