www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update for the last year
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hey guys, I have been stopping by and reading about once every week or two and thought I would give an update.
First off, we really would like our 261 Liberator back as we do miss it.

This could easily fit under LVChis thread "Everytime it's something" I feel for ya buddy.

Our Baja 38 Special is coming along fine except for the "Florida Condition" two weeks ago. Due to the HOA (don't get me started on that), we keep it in a secured storage with the camera's and all. Dropped it on the Sunday before last at 6pm and got a call at 10am on Monday. It seems my Outdrives are missing and other damage was done in that process. Bravo One X's are not cheap to replace. It's too bad as they only had 175 hours on them along with the engines in 2001. They even took all the hardware, pins nuts caps etc.

That is twice in 6 months that Thieves have got us in Florida. A Smash and grab on the Tahoe and our nice camera was gone with all it's gear.
This last year has been a trying one at best.
It started a year ago coming in two weeks with the fuel pump changed by Firestone store in Bluffton, SC that ended up with a bent rod and a new motor from GM that mostly came out of my pocket, 5400 of them. Now I have to take it in and get a cam and lifters, at least under the 100k mile warranty, as GM had a bad batch of cams. Hopefully that goes well.

We bought the 38 Special on a Friday and Monday Gulfstream cut the top 10% of contract Engineers to save money on the G VII program. What pisses me off is that they knew this and let me drop for the boat anyways. Axxholes.

Three days later I signed on the current contract, which is going to fast ahead of schedule of course. I need to learn to slow down at work I guess.

Last 4th of July, we went back to Kansas to pick up the Dually for the 38. Everything was fine until the Clutch on the AC compressor locked up on the road. It was only around 100 or so. Change it in a parking lot and got it back up and running. That was cheap. lol

I was traveling back and forth weekly 5 hours each way so that we could keep living in Hilton Head because we liked it there and our middle son moved there with our grandkids. When Sept rolled around the owner would not go month to month like the contract was and wanted a full year again. Well we could not do that so we ended up in this house down here. Again, that was cheap. lol

We waited a month before we brought the 38 Special down with the dually. Well as previously posted the engine blew sky high right on top of the I-95 bridge in downtown Jacksonville Florida. Not a very good spot if you have been through there. On one hand, it sucked, but I did get 299,170 miles on that motor. It turns out it broke a ring and ended up punching a hole in the sleeve and bending the rod. The engine almost had no wear on it after I tore it down, bummer.
Bought a motor the same year out of an RV. Tore it down to find a burned piston. ugh! Between the two engines, some new parts some machine work clean up, I could have gotten a rebuilt from Autozone for just a couple hundred more. But I do know what is in my engine at least. Now it runs fine, but the AC is out. Not sure on that one yet as I never opened the system. Everything is new as I replaced it all last summer, even the condenser.

Oh well, it's over the 300k mark and I put a new Cowl hood on it! At least I feel better.

In Dec as I was building the 454, I bought the admiral a 16ft pontoon boat to go on the Indian River fishing and Island hopping. That made boat purchase number 4 for the year. Still have three as we gave the 18ft bowrider to our kids in SC.

We finished the truck, and now bought a full boat cover for the 38. Picked up one made for it for right at $1000 shipped. Great cover made of 9.25 oz Sunbrella, I came with only half of the straps need, so we bought some heavier duty strapping with clips and made the rest. Ours are a lot better than the factory one's.

We just purchased a new sewing machine to handle the vinyl and make some more items. We have done upholstery on all our boats but not this complicated. There are four colors in not so straight patterns even on the bolster seats. But, this machine has the computer screen built in and the wife is going to some classes in a couple of weeks that comes with it. I hope it's worth the 1k for it, but still cheaper than a top commercial unit at 3500.

I have an artist out of Orlando doing some artwork for the 38 to add to what is there and to go with the name Dream Catcher. The boats previous name was Miss Behavin' with a winged fairy sitting on top of the letters. The fairy is pregnant with Stilettos on and a martini in her hand. You can see the outline in the Gelcoat that I will buff out later. I am going to take a marker and take a pic of it as it's interesting to say the least. We don't think that is a good thing to have on the boat with my little granddaughters. lol

There were several other "up yours" moments in the last year that just cost more as well, but I am just moving forward at this point.

I will try to post some pics as we move through the items to be done on the 38 as well as new furniture on the wife's boat too.

Oh, back to the first part. The insurance I have "named price with all the bells and whistles", is going to be over generous and payout 15% of the claim on the outdrives. Then it will only cost me around 8k to get back where I was on it.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 pm 

Sorry for all your troubles, man makes my last year seem like a fun vacation in comparison.
I hope things work out and you get back on the water soon

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 am 

How come insurance is only coughing up 15% towards replacing the outdrives?

That sucks! :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 am 

Yeah, great place to break down.
I've been through there the last couple years.
This year can only be better :!: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am 

EvilZ wrote:
How come insurance is only coughing up 15% towards replacing the outdrives?

That sucks! :cry:

The insurance companies depreciate at 10% per year. They said they would be generous and give 15% for parts and 100% for labor.
That is a premium name price policy that I pay around 2k per year for.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 am 
Dolphin

JVThundercat just saw your thread today... hearing you say you would like to have your 261 back - then I feel I'm not crazy for liking mine either. Just had the 261 out and should be on the water in again, in December...(Phoenix).

Hope this year finishes up better for you'all. I keep pondering about getting a different (bigger?) boat like a formula or a baja or...but thinking I'll keep the Liberator for a few more seasons - still have alot to learn on this one.

I'll post this in a new thread, but for now maybe someone can help me about getting the right cover for my 261.

I'm looking at getting an "exact fit" sunbrella cover (storage/trailer) for it from Westland. But, they don't list a 261 - but they do show a 251 (1989-1992).

1) Is the 1989 (251-261) a different hull design from the 1988 261?

2) Is there a 1988 251 that uses the exact same hull (as the 1988 261) but with a single engine? I keep seeing that statement made, but then I see a 251 on youtube with twin I/O's (350's)....will the 1989 251 cover fit my 261?

I'm trying to save a couple hundred dollars by not going to a local custom cover maker.