www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clear Lake Near Me
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well, the trip is over and we are home now. We already miss those beautiful lakes!! The folks up there sure are hospitable as well. That is a trip we will be doing annually if not more often now that we have seen clean, blue, beautiful water that northern Michigan has to offer.

We launched at the ramp mid way down Torch River. This was an extremely tight ramp for us to use!! It was about 8 PM and we were racing the clock for sure! We got off to a late start hitting the road and had to stop too many times on the way. I did NOT want to navigate around stumps in the dark!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 104847.jpg

Sunset approaching Skegemog

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 195955.jpg

We arrived in Elk and found that we were unable to fit under the bridge, just as Cap'n suggested. I got close, just easing forward and my wife was on the bow checking our clearance. We were only an inch or so from making it!! :shock: With darkness setting in, we decided to stay at the public docks for the night since we had no other options :oops:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 58_LLS.jpg

This is actually a picture of the next morning. We spent some time heading down to Grand Traverse and walking up the beach, before setting out to Torch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 091319.jpg

Finally we arrived to Torch!!! I spent most of the night being nervous that the bridge on Torch River would be too low also and what we would do to get our boat launched over there. Thankfully, we fit with only about 6 inches to spare! Our first view of the "Sandbar"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 110700.jpg

More Torch

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 131839.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... 121155.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/846 ... stshot.jpg

We stayed there for most of the day before heading to DeWitt Marine for our slip. We found everyone to be very kind and helpful during our time there. We spent one rainy day at the town of Bellaire and had drinks and food at Shorts Brewery. We had a meal at Dockside and enjoyed some Wonton Pickles. Even with a bad day of weather, we still had a great time and are already planning for the next trip! Too many incredible pictures to pick from. :D

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:35 pm 

Nice pics! Looks like you had a good trip.

I'd suggest trying out southern Lake Michigan....but I may be biased since I can't take my 318 there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm 
268 Vista

Awesome hutch !! Glad you enjoyed the trip and the hospitality. People are so nice and helpful, and believe it or not, they get even better the farther north you go.
Wish we could have made it to Torch last weekend, but we had fun on Grand Traverse Bay. May stop at Torch next weekend when we are up there.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 pm 

Awesome!! Love the pics and the write up Hutch! Between you and Cap'n posting these pic's you've got us wanted to head up there to check it out. Next time you go up there will you be launching at the same place or did you find a different launch you liked better?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:53 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
Awesome!! Love the pics and the write up Hutch! Between you and Cap'n posting these pic's you've got us wanted to head up there to check it out. Next time you go up there will you be launching at the same place or did you find a different launch you liked better?

Thanks! We will be launching at DeWitt next time, almost certainly. That ramp was not steep enough and the courtesy dock was too short. We had to jump on the bow. Not to mention that the channel is super shallow and not wide at all. There is another, very nice ramp on Elk toward the south end of the lake that looked very nice and had plenty of parking. That was a public ramp, where Dewitt will charge a fee unless you slip with them. Next time we go, we will spend more time on Elk too. It is almost as beautiful and not as crowded with a larger town to visit.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 pm 

Great pics. looks and sounds like a wonderful time. How long was the drive up. like bliss36 , I think we will try it next season

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:09 pm 

crossram wrote:
Great pics. looks and sounds like a wonderful time. How long was the drive up. like bliss36 , I think we will try it next season

It was about 6 1/2 hours of drive time for us. We made several stops with the infant needing to eat. It ended up being 8 hours there and about 7 home. It was definitely worth the travel time! Also, I would rather make that trip than Cumberland any day! Much flatter.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:27 pm 

Im an hour south of you so that doesn't sound too long of a trip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:01 am 

Bliss36 wrote:

If you don't want to pay for ramp fee at Dewitts, or they are too busy there is a public access next to the cottage we are fixing up on Clam. It is about 1 mile east of Dewitts and Dockside on the north side of Clam and I have seen a guy put in a 38 foot Donzi ZF as well as another guy pull out his 2 person sea plane.

http://www.antrimcounty.org/maps/cismap ... 1349&y=616

Boat launches in the area

http://www.antrimcounty.org/boatlaunch.asp#SDBClam Lake Access - Clam Lake Road

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 pm 

Mark T wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

If you don't want to pay for ramp fee at Dewitts, or they are too busy there is a public access next to the cottage we are fixing up on Clam. It is about 1 mile east of Dewitts and Dockside on the north side of Clam and I have seen a guy put in a 38 foot Donzi ZF as well as another guy pull out his 2 person sea plane.

http://www.antrimcounty.org/maps/cismap ... 1349&y=616

Boat launches in the area

http://www.antrimcounty.org/boatlaunch.asp#SDBClam Lake Access - Clam Lake Road

Thank you for the information! If this weekend's weather holds up, some friends with their 268 and us will be headed up there again. DeWitts only had a slip for us, but we have found a couple of places that look possible to stay out on the hook now that I bought the paper charts. Do you know if that public ramp has plenty of parking?

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 pm 
Guppy

The ramp on on the north side of clam lake is not paved and is basically a sand two track. I would not recommend it except for smaller boats. There is parking at the ramp.

For a 26/27 ft boats, Dewitt's or Butches work well. Butches has very limited parking along the road.

Being a holiday weekend, all the ramps will be busy. If you go to the north end of the lake, it is less crowded. There is a nice ramp at the park in Torch Lake Village with parking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 am 
268 Vista

hutch9900 wrote:
If this weekend's weather holds up, some friends with their 268 and us will be headed up there again.

Depends on what you expect in "hold's up" Here is the forecast.

Quote:
This morning we have showers moving in from Wisconsin with temperatures in the low 50s to low 60s. Expect these showers to continue to hang around today with gray skies and breezy Southeast/South winds at 5-15mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with another wave of showers and storms working through which could lead to another .25" to .50" of rain. Overnight lows will be in the upper 50s to upper 60s with Southeast/South winds at 5-15mph.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy with scattered showers and storms working through once again. Highs will be in the low 70s to low 80s with the gray skies and rain. Sunday is looking like the best day of the weekend with mostly to partly sunny skies and highs in the low 70s to low 80s. Labor Day will bring in scattered showers and storms for the afternoon hours. Highs will be in the mid 70s to low 80s.

Bring along some fresh deck's of cards and leave the sunscreen home. Hope you get some boating in if you do go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:03 pm 
Seahorse

crossram wrote:
Im an hour south of you so that doesn't sound too long of a trip

Well let me know if and when you go next season as I would be interested in making the trek up there too. Maybe start an Ohio caravan up there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
hutch9900 wrote:
If this weekend's weather holds up, some friends with their 268 and us will be headed up there again.

Depends on what you expect in "hold's up" Here is the forecast.

Quote:
This morning we have showers moving in from Wisconsin with temperatures in the low 50s to low 60s. Expect these showers to continue to hang around today with gray skies and breezy Southeast/South winds at 5-15mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with another wave of showers and storms working through which could lead to another .25" to .50" of rain. Overnight lows will be in the upper 50s to upper 60s with Southeast/South winds at 5-15mph.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy with scattered showers and storms working through once again. Highs will be in the low 70s to low 80s with the gray skies and rain. Sunday is looking like the best day of the weekend with mostly to partly sunny skies and highs in the low 70s to low 80s. Labor Day will bring in scattered showers and storms for the afternoon hours. Highs will be in the mid 70s to low 80s.

Bring along some fresh deck's of cards and leave the sunscreen home. Hope you get some boating in if you do go.

We did not get to go :( The weather was one deterrent, but another was me having to go into the hospital. Not sure how many more warm weekends there will be up north, but I sure do hope I get to go again soon! The weather looked horrible, so it doesnt make me feel that bad about not getting to go.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 am 
268 Vista

You probably did not miss much good boating. Rained off and on Friday thru Monday. Also 100 mph winds in Kalkaska an EF-1 tornado touchdown there yesterday. Kalkaska is only a few miles from Torch Lake.

It is hit and miss this time of year in Northern Michigan, it can be beautiful weather, and it can be nasty. Today and tomorrow forecast for Torch Lake area is Sunny 77 to 81 degrees and 5-8 mph winds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next