www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:29 pm 
Andiamo

Has anyone had experience with installing spurs or line cutters on their outdrives? I have attached a link for the Mfg of these. I've been thinking of installing a line cutter on my outdrive ever since my Boat trip this past summer to LI and CT via the LI Sound. IT was a Great trip, but the Lobster Pots were everywhere. Especially on the LI side, I felft I really could not sit back and enjoy the scenery, as out of nowhere all of a sudden I would be headed for what seemed like a mine field of lobster pots, and had to make sure to steer clear. Some of these were not that easy to spot as they are slightly submerged and covered in sea moss. I've heard the Line cutters will go right thru these things. Here's the link to what I am thinking of:

http://www.spursmarine.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:13 pm 
wkearney99

I wondered about them but after a few seasons on the Chesapeake, where the crabbers have been pretty desperate for catch, you get used to working your way around the pots. Even with something that cut the lines there'd still be the impact risk.

I caught some debris once and it worked loose with some foward/reverse action. Another time a diver reported a bit of line on one shaft, found during one of my regular hull cleanings. I discussed the line cutter idea with him and he was of the opinion they wouldn't have affected the situation (he was paid the usual amount regardless).

It seems like they'd work but I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk, especially not if it lead to being overconfident and ignoring sea conditions. I'd rather remain vigilant instead (and a couple hundred bucks richer from saving the money).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:24 pm 
Andiamo

Hi Bill! Thanks for the reply buddy! I agree that keeping a vigilant watch is the best defense, but some of those suckers were almost invisible as they were half under water, not to mention that even on a clear night, boating around all those traps would be impossible.

I have not checked the pricing on these yet, but I suspect that your reference to a couple of hundred bucks is about right!

Thanks Again for the input!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:06 pm 
wkearney99

Night boating with crab pots isn't too difficult, if you've got at least SOME moon out. And clear weather of course. But if it's pitch black, and you can't see crab pots, well... what else can't you see?

I find the best way to deal with boating at night is to stick to the main channels. That and if I'm going into a place that's got lots of pots to have my chartplotter track the course, and follow that back out later. But, quite frankly, the best solution is to just avoid boating at night. There aren't enough things I want to get to/from on the water at night that justify the significantly greater risk.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no worry-wart and not here to be a preaching nag. I just question the value of spending that much money for something that presents a whole other set of risks not worth taking. That said, I've heard next to nothing from anyone regarding line cutter add-ons. Oddly so as you'd think otherwise. It may perhaps be that folks are better at avoiding the risk (or allergic to the expense) that these things would claim to be guarding against?