www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ham Raido on the boat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:48 pm 
Minnow

Are there any ham radio operators who have installed equipment vhf or hf on their boats?

I recently got a 2004 Vista 268 and was considering how I would install radios and antennas any ideas or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,

NJ5N
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:08 pm 
230 Mike

I'd like to, but haven't gone as far as getting my ticket yet. Actually i had the VHF handheld on the boat for the first time last weekend and my wife wanted the noise turned off :) - so that may have been a message.

I *did* just finish up with a complete restoration of my 1977-vintage D-104, however ;) (I'm the original owner).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: Radio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:02 pm 
Minnow

Well I sometimes have the same comments from my wife she does not even like the Sirius or FM radio while we are on the lake but I do. We manage to work it out with a little of both.
I think working the ham bands could be fun while anchored out on the lake. I will work something out in the near future just need to work out antenna mount and how I want to power it. Really want to work the HF bands which gives you the opportunity to work the world on cw or digital modes.

Thanks for the response,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:32 am 
wkearney99

Not ham but I'm looking to put a wifi antenna up on the arch. I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for some sort of bracket that'd allow using a regular ratcheting marine antenna mount with an antenna that uses an N-male (or N-female) type of connector. It really wouldn't have to be much more than a pair of suitably sized holes and a nut spun down on the marine mount. But it'd be nice to have one in a Z or U shape to raise it up a bit to better allow the cable to move freely underneath.

Anyone seen such a thing? I'd prefer to get one ready-made for the marine enviroment, if just to make sure it's coated such that it wouldn't corrode and end up discoloring the gelcoat on the radar arch.