www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 am 
email admin your custom rank

This may sound like an odd question, but given that the microwave and cooker only work when hooked up to shore power , how do you cook or reheat a hot meal if staying overnight ? And what's the best for heating water the next morning for tea (or coffee) I know about the magma grill but does that really cover all those bases?
If I say took some pasta from home, how would I reheat it if I fancied a snack after dark when I certainly don't want to be messing around with magma grills.
And why does the cooker inside the boat NOT use calor/LPG or other fuel, as so many boats I have stayed on when river cruising do for example... Like these ..it seems an obvious and better replacement?
http://www.force4.co.uk/department/chan ... ecues.html

Any help appreciated...my morning cup of tea in particular is VERY important ! :-)

25th Anniversary edition
Volvo Penta Engine and Outdrive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 am 
Dolphin

Sounds like you have no built in generator. Not sure of the cost in Spain, but have you considered a small portable generator such as the Honda 2000. It solves a lot of cooking and heating issues if you have sufficient cooking facilities already in place. They are quiet and economical on gas and can be used elsewhere around the camp, worksite or home during emergencies. They are not cheap and there are other reputable brands at a lesser cost. Perhaps a smaller model would work too. It even ran my air conditioner on my previous 28' Regal. It also avoids having other bulky cookers and compressed gas sources on board.

Not sure if this suggestion has been considered or not, but if not, check it out as it may be the simplest way to get your tea or pasta on board.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:24 am 

Correct , its a vista 248 with no generator.
I have read here about the honda (or similar) its an interesting option, and I see points for and against mentioned.
Where did you run yours from? and did you simply then plug it into the shore power outlet to get effectively your shore power back?

I also wonder about the legal aspect of running it on the water and storing the fuel on the boat here in Spain (they generally have an odd law for pretty much everything LOL )
but certainly well worth thinking about !

thanks

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 am 
Shark

Another option is a high power (2000 watt continuous) inverter. They are not cheap either but will work for short term usage such as a microwave or coffee pot.
That is what I used on my 26' regal and it worked really well.
For longer trips, I had a portable generator that I put on the swim platform and strapped down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm 

Yes again, had looked at inverters , but worried that it would drain the house battery too rapidly if using it for heating things up...maybe a whole world of pain there ! :-)
Is there a reason why the cooker inside the boat doesn't use LPG as I linked to...? seems an obvious answer ...

thanks

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 pm 
Shark

The inverter will not drain the battery too fast if your just using the microwave for a few minutes or a coffee pot to make coffee and then reheating with the microwave.
All these type appliances don't pull too much power.
Mine would even run the A/C for over an hour. The A/C was 8 amp continuous at 120v which pulled about 60 amps continuous out of the battery.

Your hot water heater should also be connected to the engine so you generate hot water when the engine is running.
Mine is still hot the next morning since the engine is running at 160 degrees and generating 160 degree hot water.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:17 pm 

Interesting numbers - thanks...!

the honda portable gen is looking favourite for convenience right now, with the exception of making sure its safe when running and being stored ..

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 pm 
Dolphin

Found an old picture with the Honda on the swim platform of our old Regal 28'. It fits perfectly in a plastic storage box to prevent water coming up the swim platform coming off plane, and the handles worked nicely for securing it while underway. It still left room on the platform, but many locate it up near the anchor while being used. Always be aware of fumes drifting back into the boat.

The storage box was reversed at night if rain was possible. You required a short "cheater" or pigtail converter to change plug size to fit shore power input and that was it. It has variable power to adjust to the load. In the Great Lakes area where I live, it is easily the most popular choice due to quality, portability and versatility off the boat. Never more than two pulls to start!

Even though I have a built in genny on my Four Winns, I take the Honda as backup while on long travels of a week+

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm 

Very useful picture and info Ernie ..thanks..I can see how that would work now..so basically the converter fits straight into the shore power input? That's very easy indeed !!

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 pm 

On our 268 I installed a 2000w inverter for lower power demands. We do not use it for the cooktop or the water heater. A modified sine wave inverter may cause the microwave to take longer or cause noise in some audio systems, but its better than nothing. A pure sine wave inverter would be better, but more expensive. I also carry a Honda 2000 in the rear storage locker. We use that frequently. You may need to look for a place to store the Honda On the 248. A 15 foot shorepower cord should reach from the swim platform to the shorepower receptacle. I use a locking cable like a bike lock to make sure the generator doesn't go swimming. On our 268 the inverter has a built in transfer switch that determines whether shorepower is connected. When we use the inverter, we turn off the "Battery charger/Refrigerator" switch on the 110 volt panel OFF. This prevents the battery charger from draining the house battery bank while trying to recharge the same batteries that the charger is draining. The refrigerator will automatically determine whether 110vac or 12 vdc is available. With the switch off, the fridge runs on 12vdc. The boat system is 110vac and 30 amp. The Honda or the inverter will be more in the 15 amp range. There are alcohol or electric/alcohol cooktops. LPG stoves will need a propane tank secured somewhere. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:29 pm 

We have an inverter hooked to the two the house batteries and no generator.

If we run low on power we can simply start the motor for a spell to recharge. This doesn't happen often.

We primarily use the microwave for storing bread and a few other items.

Our stove is electric/alcohol. We only use the alcohol, and mostly for boiling water.

The inverter allows us to brew coffee, watch movies, charge the laptop and such.

Most meals are heavy on the fresh fruits or veggies. My wife has prepared food at home that she heats up on the stove or grill such as pulled pork for sandwiches or chicken that we eat in salads.

This is all over and above what we cook on the grill.

After a few weekends out you will know exactly what is going to work for you, and how to plan your meals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:39 am 

An inverter AND the Honda would indeed be the best of both worlds!
Think I will start with the Honda as long as I can secure and store it ok on the 248 .
I am at sea , not in lakes, so am a bit nervous about water getting into it
The box idea that efollis had is interesting! ..how does the exhaust vent though when sitting in a plastic box?

also alex8q4 you say you have an electric/alcohol stove..thats seems the most obvious route..
is that an aftermarket fit? and where is the alcohol stored in your situation?

all fantastic info - its really appreciated !

25th Anniversary edition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 am 

The stove was factory installed.

The spare alcohol is stored in a 500ml bottle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:23 am 
Dolphin

The pigtail adapter you use to connect the Honda (AC power source) to to the boat via your shorepower cable looks like this: Image
The plastic box was used for transport only. When being used I remove it from the box. If high seas or a low swim platform are an issue for water getting onto the generator you have a couple choices: 1. Raise the generator on a short platform that could be strapped to the bottom or; 2. As many people with smaller platforms do, rig it up on the bow, again using a platform / pad of some sort and using the bow rails to secure it.
I have seen many smaller boats use the bow, as once it is secured it takes no space from living space. Just make sure your shorepower cord is long enough to reach wherever you place it. Remember too that you can always just run an extension cord to it if you just wanted to use it briefly for coffee or if someone you are rafting with needs power briefly.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm 

It would appear on delivery I have a combo electric and alcohol stove...Bonus ! !!
I have no idea on the workings of the alcohol part...what exactly IS the alcohol? is it what Brits call Methylated Spirits? (its blue )
How is it filled ? the delivery engineer was a bit vague on that part, but it will be a lifesaver for us if we can use it to cook off the hook

thanks in advance !

25th Anniversary edition