www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:11 pm 
Guppy

Hey all:

I recently had the antifouling blasted at my local yard. Unfortunately, I had to use "their" services for bottom work, as opposed to bringing a local soda blast guy with high reviews.

I was charged 967.15... they used glass bead as media.

My initial reaction was "Wow, they went deep". I spoke with a soda blaster and boating buddy, and they both agreed that it was a horrible job. Yard obviously says its normal and needs to be filled with epoxy/ high spots knocked down before barrier coat can be rolled on. I was hoping for a minimally scuffed hull that would be paint ready. The hull was in great shape.

The dark spots on the strakes are where they went THROUGH gelcoat into the fiberglass mat.

Thoughts?!?!?!

edit: Wow! Sounds like my gut was RIGHT!!!

Now that I know it's screwed up, how should the yard go about correcting this and getting my hull fixed?

Update 2:

I opened up a claim with my insurance company... They sent a surveyor out today, and he doesnt believe the blast job was anything out of the ordinary, and will not pursue the claim further.

Spoke with one of the most highly regarded fiberglass guys in the area. He mentioned that the burnout on the strakes is totally normal, but the hull should not have been texturized as it has. He will be going out to the yard today to give me an estimate.

The yard will do two coats of interprotect HS at 34.00 a foot, and multiseason antifoul at 20.00 a foot. for a total of around 1350. Im not sure 2 coats of barrier is enough!!!

also, since boats are behind me they want to charge me 217 to move and reblock... UGH!

Last edited by jdubya301 on Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You need to contact your insurance company asap so they can get the yard's insurance company to pick up the $3,000 tab it will cost to fix that screw-up (to include new bottom paint).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 pm 

This is a 100% insurance claim and let the insurance company's fight. But you should not spend a dime as that yard did a horrible job on your hull.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 pm 

Glass bead as a media?!
Amateurs!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 am 
Minnow

OMFG......Insurance claim!!!!!!

2006 Four Winns Horizon 260
Merc 6.2l V8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 am 

jdubya301 wrote:

edit:

Now that I know it's screwed up, how should the yard go about correcting this and getting my hull fixed?

I don't know that I'd have that boat yard do the fix if they did such a bad job in the first place. I'd work with your/their insurance to get another place to properly fix it. I'd only get a highly recommended fiberglass expert, not the same hacks that did this job.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 am 

Agreed with all who said that you need to contact your insurance. Very bad job. I would not have a hull blasted, if they do not know exactly what they are doing, it will cause damage. The guy who runs our boatyard even said this himself. My boat is in need of a stripping because it has about 11 coats of hard paint on it. Next winter we are going to have the bottom stripped, with chemical removers not blasted and have it epoxy bottom coated then start new with bottom paint.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:51 am 

if they destroyed it why on earth would you have them fix it. Insurance first and then a reputable fiberglass man to fix it. That yard is a joke.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:23 am 
Guppy

Quote:
if they destroyed it why on earth would you have them fix it. Insurance first and then a reputable fiberglass man to fix it. That yard is a joke.

Well, having the boat transported will be a whole ordeal. I will contact insurance and see what their surveyor recommends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 am 

Horrible! That doesn't even look like glass bead did that... Looks like standard sand-blasting. Makes me think they hired a 3rd party company that knows nothing about boats. They did the same process that you would use to remove rust from steel structures.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:55 am 

Agreed on the insurance claim. Let them pay the repair costs, costs to transport and return to you, etc. When it is all said and done, the insurance will seek reimbursement from the original offender. If they recover, it should be "credited" to your claims history so that it ultimately does not ding your claims history.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 pm 

I never have messed with bottom paint as I don't have the need with my use of the boat....but that is shocking to see. Sorry to see that cuz I know it had to make you sick. Do you guys have insurance policies that cover bad work on your boats?

My policy wouldn't and would be surprised to here of policies that do. The boat yards insurance would. I hope yours does cuz that makes this easier. Good luck on the repairs whichever remedy you seek..

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 am 

Have you talked to the yard since you realized the extent of the damage?

Perhaps you should express to them that you are holding them accountable for their actions and request a solution from them. You should also carefully document this conversation.

Unfortunately, you will likely not come to an agreement with the yard, but if you are forced to sue him for the repair costs you will be able to show that you gave him the opportunity to correct his mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:36 am 

TX H210SS wrote:
Do you guys have insurance policies that cover bad work on your boats? My policy wouldn't and would be surprised to here of policies that do.

The way I see it, if this damage isn't fixed, then the structural integrity of the boat could be jeopardized leading to major problems for the current carrier down the road. I bet they would cover it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
TX H210SS wrote:
Do you guys have insurance policies that cover bad work on your boats? My policy wouldn't and would be surprised to here of policies that do.

The way I see it, if this damage isn't fixed, then the structural integrity of the boat could be jeopardized leading to major problems for the current carrier down the road. I bet they would cover it.

This would be my concern. If this is not repaired properly now it may come back to bite you down the road. Not sure if your boat's bottom is cored or solid fibreglass, but if cored and if water over time is able to seep into that core then when you want to sell your potential buyer may hire a surveyor who may determine your hull bottom is considered "wet" and walk from the deal. If your hull does become "wet", it will decrease the value of your boat.

So, I think I would do a couple of things. First I would bring in a professional (known, respected fibreglass repair dude or surveyor) and get his opinion. Then I'd have a chat with yard to advise how you want this mess repaired properly and see what they say. Then if needed I'd be involving my insurance company and let them earn your paid premium dollars. But I'd really want to bring in a professional myself, one who I know is working for me and will suggest the best way to remedy this. You can then advise your yard as to how you want to see this repair proceed. If your yard is unwilling to follow your wishes, then you have something to give to your insurance company as to how YOU want the work to proceed and let the insurance battle it out. Hopefully this doesn't drag on to long when you should otherwise be out enjoying your boat. Hopefully you can get this resolved A.S.A.P.

Oh, and on a different note, is that actually a 2 by 4 board turned on its side as a keel block? Not to be picky, but I don't like that either.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation