www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ethanol Free Gas?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 pm 
Guppy

So I just picked up our new four winns h190, and I've been a boater my whole life but never heard of having to use ethanol free gas cause of the damage regular gas w/ethanol causes to the engine, and was told if we use gas with ethanol and something breaks the engine warranty won't cover it. I did some research today and some websites were saying that E10 gas(10% ethanool) is acceptable to use. I checked online to see where I could buy ethanol free gas and there was nothing near me, on our way to our cottage, or near our cottage in Canada. Trying to figure out if I have to go out of our way to get gas, or use the e10 gas, or just regular gas and add the mixture liquid to decrease damage.

Post subject: Re: Ethanol Free Gas?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

E10 is acceptable for most newer boats, check owners manual to confirm (might need to check engine manual). With that said, I try to use non-ethanol gas when available but when not, I bought a bottle of this stuff to add: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Concentrated Gas Formula, the 8 oz bottle treats 128 gallons and the 16 oz bottle treats 256 gallons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:55 pm 
230 Mike

E10 is fine in any engine made in the last 10 years. Just don't exceed 10% and don't let it sit in the tank for extended periods without treating it. And change your fuel filter every year.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:42 pm 

As long as its really E10, I have not had big problems with it and its all we can get here. I use stabilizer at the end of the season and the boat is stored with whatever amount of gas was in it at the end of the season. It is a good practice to make sure you do not have water in your gas because that will exacerbate problems with E-10 because the alcohol attracts moisture, and it can cause the water and alcohol to drop out of suspension and wind up in the bottom of the tank. Engines don't run well on water. So, I change the water separating fuel filter every year and dump out the contents into a mason jar and look for a layer of water on the bottom. If you see that then you have to monitor it and may need to get the tank pumped out. Make sure the rubber gasket on your gas cap is good and does not leak water in.

The times when E10 causes issues:
when its not mixed right and is really E15 or E20
when it is put in an older boat that was run on straight gas for years and has some varnish built up in the tank. The ethanol will clean all this out but it can clog filters, this was a repeated problem for some people. I had some red gunk in the filter the first year, after that nothing.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:52 am 
Shark

Who told you the engine warranty won't cover it?
The only issue with ethanol is in older boats (we are talking 15/20 year +) the hoses were originally not designed for ethanol.
Over time the ethanol would eat up the inside of the hose and create problems with little pieces of rubber getting into the fuel and carb system.
That problem is long gone.
Only issue now is with water absorbsion when stored for long periods of time.
Use a fuel stabilizer when winterizing and you will be good to go.
I have used E10 for years in boats and older cars and use it in my current boat.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:10 am 

I have used E 10 almost exclusively since 1995. We have always trailered our boats and fuel up at a local gas station. Our previous 190 Horizon had a Volvo (Ford) 5.0 EFI that required 89 octane. Our current 268 Vista has the GM 5.7 Gi that requires 87 octane. In Minnesota gas is E10 by state mandate. The only other choice is the occasional gas station that offers 92 octane without any ethanol for higher performance engines and some old legacy engines. We put over 2000 hours on the 190 and over 400 hours on the 268 without any engine issues. There are factors to consider. Make sure you are getting fresh fuel and use a fuel stabilizer if the boat will not be used very often or over winter. Try to avoid fuel contamination or water. Change filters / water separators on a regular schedule. Get out and use your boat :D :!: Go have fun with it.

Different parts of the country, or world, have different views on ethanol. I am not here to debate the issue. I will say that my observations include:
1. In some cars I have noticed a small reduction in fuel economy, in some cases as much as 10 to 15 percent between E10 and E85. Little if any change between E10 and non-ethanol fuel. Higher octane fuel than what your engine requires is usually a waste of money.
2. I have not had issues with water freezing in gas lines in cold weather since using the E10 gas. E10 will absorb some water and run it through the engine without noticing it.
3. Some say they have noticed a difference between E10 and Regular gas without ethanol. Its my understanding that most relatively modern engines are made to run on E10.
4. E10 contains more oxygen molecules than non-ethanol fuel. This causes a slightly leaner fuel mixture and possibly a hotter operating temp.
5. E10 is reputed to be a cleaner burning (reduced emissions) fuel than non-ethanol fuel.
6. Many marinas sell a higher octane ( 89 to 92 octane) non-ethanol fuel as a "one choice fits all" situations.

In the end, if you prefer to use non-ethanol fuel you will probably be able to find it. It may be more expensive than other options, or maybe the only option. Any choice, fuel or anything else, has its pros and cons. Be aware of the benefits and limitations, and adjust as appropriate. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 am 

You've gotten some good advice here. I would assume you were misinformed and would refer to your owners manual to see what it says on this issue. I would bet what they really meant to tell you is if you use e85 it will not be under warranty as it is the same in the automotive industry. When we get a car in the shop with a bunch of misfire codes the first thing we do is take a fuel sample and if its full of e85 and its NOT a flex fuel car the repairs are then on the customers dime. Is your H190 equipped with catalytic converters and oxygen sensors?

In our 268 we use both pump gas and marina fuel without problems. Usually i try to use mostly marina fuel in the fall for the sake of storage.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 am 

Bliss36 wrote:
I would bet what they really meant to tell you is if you use e85 it will not be under warranty as it is the same in the automotive industry. When we get a car in the shop with a bunch of misfire codes the first thing we do is take a fuel sample and if its full of e85 and its NOT a flex fuel car the repairs are then on the customers dime.

My mom did that in her Ford Flex thinking the name implied it was flex-fuel lol

Luckily, the only damage was to her pocketbook. Was a quick car, hers had the 3.5 Ecoboost.