www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yeti Coolers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:45 am 
Shark

The wife and kids were gracious enough to get me a Yeti Tundra 35 for the fathers day boating trip and a hat to match it, but after taking look at the size of the 35 seems to be a little on the small size for a family of 5 for food and drinks for a day on the water (can fit 15 cans on the bottom and maybe stack 2 high). Been thinking to either keep this for the day trips when we trailer and then a 45 or 50 for the long days on the annual week trip to Tennessee on the houseboat (cooler would stay in boat not on houseboat). Any comments on the ability to keep items cold as they advertise, and the amout of drinks you can hold in a 35-45-50 without using the 2:1 ice ratio Yeti advertises.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

Post subject: Re: Yeti Coolers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

My brother-in-law has the Orion which he claims is better than the Yetti but who knows. He keeps a larger one on the back deck of his Regal 3060 and it does keep ice and stay cold for a long time. We stayed with him in Florida over the winter and we had ice in it for over a week and kept replenishing brews. My only issue with them is because they are super insulated they take up more room for the volume. Now the other extreme is the crappy Igloo boating cooler that fits in the space on our Vista. Why don't they put a drain in those things? I've always wanted to plumb a drain in ours that goes into our sump or somehow get it overboard but I've never taken any action on that idea. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm 

i have a 65 and it is a very nice size for volume. And a 20 roady was added this weekend as the "little beach cooler" i think a 35 is good for a few drinks but you will need more if you drink BEER as you will not be able to carry much. Their are a few good companies for alternatives that are still roto molded.

This is my 65 loaded for 4 people for the Easter Steeple Chase (horse race) and we did not drink it all. This has proven to be a good size traveling and long camping weekends since February when i got it for my birthday. I like having the extra room. I also HATE running out of beer! So.... figure that out. I use a 175Q 5 day colman extreme for the tailgates at football. It stays constant open close and will have ice cold beer on Wednesday and lots of ice still after being filled friday night. It is a good cooler but no where near the durability of the Yeti.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 pm 

We have the Tundra 45, used it for the first time last weekend. Kept everything cold for 3 days. We only use it for beer/wine and kids drink boxes in the basket, that leaves the frig for just food. Plenty of space for a family of 4 (drinks) for a weekend. Don't remember the exact beer count.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:50 am 
Shark

I have a 65 and 45. I use the 65 for drinks, about 24+ beers, 6 gatorades and waters. The 45 I use for food only. I have the coolers inside the house a couple of days before leaving and freeze the gatorades and waters. Beers on the bottom and top off with ice. On the food cooler I freeze the meats weather it's tri-tip or steaks, zip-loc everything else. Frozen water bottles on the bottom and top off with ice. I'm good for at least 3 days in the high temps out here at lake Mead. I've had the coolers for over 2 years now and very happy with them. I also keep them inside the cabin when out on the water, the ice seems to last longer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 am 

I have a Vista and my cabin fridge died on me so I have been using it as a pantry for dry goods which has really eliminated the clutter in the cabin galley area. I am debating on purchasing a Yeti 110 and using it for food and drinks and keeping the fridge as a pantry. Right now, I have a 94 qt Igloo Marine cooler and it goes through 2 - 3 bags of ice a day (and we live on our boat all summer) so it would probably pay for itself after a few years.

ETA: The club just sent out an e-mail raising the price of ice from $1:00 a bag to $1:50. Don't really have a choice but to buy a high-end cooler now.

Last edited by 298VISTA2000 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 am 

the "marine" series igloo is simply a white cooler with stainless screw. it is nothing at all remotely special to help keep ice retention. the only "economy" cooler for ice retention is the COLMAN XTREME 5 Day series. I have a 175 and it truly is a 3 day cooler. BUT and a big BUT is the fact that it has 90-130# of ice in it and that mass of ice does great. That Igloo is basically a large 15 gallon bucket with a lid in my eyes. You have to be in the extreme or 3,4,5 day class to truly keep ice long term. These days the word "marine" is just a sales ploy, they are the same as the colored coolers structurally. Some have ss hinges and latch but other than that upgrade they do not keep ice any longer than your regular $35 red cooler.

now yeti is the biggest player advertising wise and one of the founders. But you cannot leave out: K2, Ozark, Grizzly, Pelican, Yukon, Orca, ICYtech, RTCH ( they are identical to a yeti "made int he same factory" half the price BUT you have to wait like 3 weeks for delivery because of back log)

One other note that applies to all coolers. PREP. Ok so if you grab a 90* cooler out of the shed and toss hot beer in it and 20# of ice on top you will have roughly a 60% loss out of the gate on your ice as the beer and the cooler are sucking the energy out of the ice to cool the physical cooler and contents.

out west expiditions gets 7-10 days in the summer out of their coolers yeti and grizzly and a few others. They put the empty coolers in a walk in freezer for a couple days ahead of time. This gets the structure cool. They add already cold contents. This is the 2nd and possibly the most important element to ice retention. Then the use of cold cold ice (not your half melted wet ice) you want ice that is not wet (you know what i mean). Large blocks or ice packs aid int he longevity. and fill the air space of the cooler.

the above yields very efficient ice retention for a day out.

If i know i am going in the boat saturday i will ice down the cooler the night before so the contents and structure cool. Knowing that i will have loss i will top off the ice the day of the event of the boat trip. This is the key to my tailgating cooler success and boating.

For the long weekends and you want food to stay frozen. The nice thing about the construction of the yeti unlike your regular coolers is that the Yeti is built to withstand DRY ICE direct contact. get a couple blocks at the grocery store and toss on the bottom. Then add a piece of card board so the food packages do not freeze to the blocks.

A friend drives a truck at the beach all summer selling ice cream in the direct sun all day. A yeti with dry ice setup and ice cream will stay frozen 3-4 days int he direct sun and being opened and closed constantly.

Remember that the prep is key. Even being a yeti you cannot grab a hot yeti and toss hot beer in it and ice on top and expect that to last your 5 days.Simply because of the LOSS FACTOR and this is where so many people mess up on all makes of coolers. plan ahead or be prepared for the ice to disapear.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 pm 
Shark

Kinda thinking to keep the 35 for the day trips and a 50 for week trips in Tennessee. I picked up a 24 can square Coleman Ultra softside marine last week and was very surprised how well it is actually made. Heavy outer material 1.5" think foam and 3 storage pouches. We plan to use this for day trip food and the 35 for the day drinks, plan is to put the Yeti behind the captain chair with enough room to use the back seat yet. I leaning more towards the 50 over the 45 as its nearly same size but is 2.5" taller which will pack in more ice or the bait tray to put food on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:16 am 

bait tray for food is a great plan.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 pm 
Dolphin

3 all new coolers on Pelicans web site...30, 50 and 70 that show significantly lighter weight but claim same performance, look sharp.

Previous
2008 FW V358
2006 FW V318
2004 FW V288

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:37 pm 
Shark

I was looking and I don't see any of the Yeti coolers that will fit in the cockpit opening on my 2007 278 Vista.
Has anyone figured out a good cooler that will fit in the opening?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 pm 
Shark

First day out with the Yeti 35 and must say I am impressed. Did not do much cooling prep though, filled cooler with cold drinks from fridge and added 2 small bags of ice. The size actually worked quite well had 15 canned drinks on bottom layer and then had to lay water and Gatorade on the side, its perfect for our day trips. Granted we were only out about 5 hours in 85 degree temps yesterday due to rain, but after unpacking boat after being last iced down 13 hours earlier I had over a bag of unmelted ice remaining. Time to get the 50 for the long days in Tennessee :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:31 pm 
AGE < LOA

Lovin my 55 but it's on the small side and its usually just for me. It's been iced down continuously since early May while I'm working on the 475. Its great for my 24 center console but its time to grab a 150+ for the 475.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:36 pm 

Yeti is a great chest and you did good for fathers day. They're heavy duty and heavy. The factor is how often you open it or any chest.

I have limited space in the 210 so I have a cube igloo that gets stocked with drinks and it doubles as drink holder and mini table for sandwich making. I have a smaller cooler that holds only ice and its under rear seat.

Extra drinks aren't iced but only take 10 mins to cool. We only day boat and camp on weekends though. Plus I drain water thru ski locker and into bilge. As often as were in cooler the ice gets refilled after 4 or so hours....I get ice free though and we take two huge coolers of nothing but ice for weekend trips.

The igloo cube cooler isn't even close to performance of yeti. If closed up, never opened and in sun the ice will melt in mine before 6 hours. Its red and matches boat color though

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:54 am 

A little Yeti story...

When I worked in the oilfields, we were issued Yeti 105's for our pickups. We worked 14 days on and 7 days off. First round of days off after getting the Yeti, I filled it with ice before leaving my truck and heading home. Water and drinks that were already in there were cold from the previous 14 days. Trucked was parked in company parking lot with cooler locked down in the truck bed and lid locked. This was middle of July 2014. High 90* temps all week. Asphalt parking lot.

After 7 days, yes the ice had melted, but the water temp inside the cooler was below 55* (digital thermometer) and the drinks were still cold.

Yes they are great coolers, but I personally don't need one for the type of boating or camping that we do. For the price of the Yeti, I can buy a lot of ice!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)