www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

what radio and antenna are people running and what mounts are they using? I am looking at the Shakespeare 5101 8" glass antenna with the ratchet mount and cable outlet for the mounting. Uniden UM380 25Watt fixed for the radio. Otherwise i am going handheld with a dramatically reduced range and power. Uniden MHS75 submersible 1/2.5/5watt 4 channel monitor.

the hand held is right at $100, portable, easy to use, no install BUT lacks in range and broadcast power.

Fixed unit will be around 250, has 25watts of output with a 6db gain antenna that will also draw in clean Radio stations for the stereo, No battery to charge, will not grow legs and walk off, BUT required wiring, separate antenna, holes drilled in the hull and a mount on the side of the boat.

THOUGHTS, opinions, show me your setups, location of antenna mount, radio mount..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:32 am 

Just a cheap Cobra fixed mount for me, but it does have the DSC feature and is connected to my GPS. Instead of Shakespeare I bought a Pacific aerial antenna. 8 footer I think. It has a stainless ferrule. It works find for me on Lake Michigan. I have the antenna on a rachet mount right by the drivers seat. Used the same plastic / nylon rachet mount that was existing- doesn't look as nice as stainless but has held up just fine. Easy to put it up or down while getting on or off the water. Can also reach it from the ground when the boat is on the trailer. Here's a shot that shows the antenna location Image

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:44 am 

Excuse my less than perfect wood work but I have an 8' Shakespeare Mariner antenna for my Standard Horizon VHF, which is hooked up to my Garmin GPS so I have one touch emergency call capability that relays my position. I used 2 pieces of plywood to make a back up for the radio mount, bedded in 4200 so it does not stress the hull when the antenna flexes. PO had it just screwed into the upper cap lol. Amazing it held all those years. The reason I used 2 interlocking pieces was because of the contour of the upper cap in that area. My boat is out there in all conditions so this had to be strong....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqf0e5aewibqq ... a.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbd50bxixvnav ... g.jpg?dl=0

PS use the stainless mount, the plastic mounts always break, I only got maybe 5 years out of those, but again my boat is out on the mooring during storms, etc, most trailer boaters don't leave their boats in those conditions.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm 
230 Mike

IMO, don't even waste your money/time on a handheld unless all you want to do is listen, or talk to someone else in a tie-up or similarly nearby. (I only have a HH but I'm on inland lakes where nobody's listening anyway. :P )

Don't overlook the importance of good coax cable and good connectors installed well. Shakespeare has some very good ones and some junk. I'm partial to properly crimped connectors but that means having the tools to make up cables on-site. Don't try to install soldered PL-259's unless you have a LOT of experience doing it. Even then they're inferior IMO.

Nice job Lou, too bad even the manufacturers don't put that much thought into half of their work these days.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:12 pm 

Thanks, when I installed this antenna last spring I had the same thought about soldering so I used the crimp on version, that works fine. BTW, I also have a back up VHF that is wired to I can hook it up to the fuse box in case the Standard Horizon ever fails....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm 

Jdpber, we installed a Stanard Horizon VHF under the dash and against the right wall. We preferred not to cut into the dash at the time (near new '95 190 horizon). We put an 8 foot antenna on a ratchet mount near the front starboard corner of the windshield, and laid it down toward the stern. We installed a rubber antenna clip to hold the tip when it was stowed. We felt we needed the radio for communication on the Mississippi River with Locks and others. One issue with mounting the antenna there was that it did get in the way at times, but no more so than an 8 foot antenna would be if mounted anywhere else. You have a bimini that might interfere, depending on where the antenna is mounted. Fishing and casting was a consideration. Towing water skiers or tubes was not an issue at all.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon