www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been away from the forum for a while. Anyone who remembers me will remember that I am big fan of outboard engines.

I'm curious if any of you have had an opportunity to see any of the new Four Winns with outboard power options.

I'm particularly interested in opinions on the V255, H290 or H350.

What is your impression?

What do you like?

What do you not like?

I continue to see some major benefits to using outboards on this class of boats and what to know what others think of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm 

While its nice to see outboards in their line up, the ones currently available (I don't see the H180 OB any longer) are too pricey and very high maintenance boats, due to the Barca-Lounger design with comfy seats everywhere. If I am looking at an outboard boat I'm looking in a smaller size range for one (19-22 ft) and a much more functional design, more like a fishing/work boat. These are good though for the traditional sport boat/cruiser customer who keeps their boat in salt water and does not want the sterndrive maintenance issues.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

For example, Stingray boats now has a nice line of outboard powered deck and sport boats that are moderately priced.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:42 pm 

Hi Lou. Yes, you do make some valid points. I'm trying to do some product research for a project I'm working on.

I do like the outboard models I'm seeing from companies like Stingray, Starcraft, Regal, and others.

I'm really interested in the boats with overnight accommodations...or really the express cruiser types with outboards.

The Regal 33 XO, is really impressive, but $$$.

I'm guessing there is a market for a the 24-28 express with outboards.

The Vista 255 OB fits this market, but only offers a single outboard and only from Mercury. Also, $$.

Searay has a few boats out currently that are interesting but just don't fit this niche I seem to find myself in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 am 
268 Vista

The H350 O/B was listed at $325K at the Fort Lauderdale Show, boat show price was $290K. Yikes !

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 am 

There are more and more out there but still not perfect like Lou states. For a cruiser there is the Regal as well as Jeanneau. Sea Ray discontinued their 370 outboard cruiser, which was actually kinda cool. I have been on the Jeanneau, its nice but has that European style of everything up on deck which I am not crazy about. It makes it kinda cramped. Its also fully enclosed which is a love/hate. You can air condition the area but you don't get that nice boat feel with sun and air while driving. It also felt kinda cheap with the 1970's camper wood paneling. :D

As for an outboard "bowrider" I am partial to dual consoles like the Robolo. More robust and easier cleaning like a center console but still has the critical creature comforts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 pm 
Goldfish

RotaryRacer wrote:
I've been away from the forum for a while. Anyone who remembers me will remember that I am big fan of outboard engines.

I'm curious if any of you have had an opportunity to see any of the new Four Winns with outboard power options.

I'm particularly interested in opinions on the V255, H290 or H350.

What is your impression?

What do you like?

What do you not like?

I continue to see some major benefits to using outboards on this class of boats and what to know what others think of them.

I had the opportunity to ride on and drive all three of these at the dealer meeting in Michigan back in September -- and to speak with a couple of the engineers and designers.
My general thoughts and impressions are:
V255 - is really a solution looking for a problem to solve. The design really doesn't take advantage of the "unused" engine compartment and the
low speed handling (with an OB on a bracket on an extended swim platform) was interesting. The V255 (actually I believe it was the Glastron 259) had a bow thruster that would probably be useful on a lot of occassions. On the other hand - I am more comfortable driving the V275 with a duo-prop around the docks than I am any other boat, really miss the twin props when you have the OB. It was really wierd running this boat (and to some extent all three of these OB powered boats). Usually you have tons of input from three senses - sight, touch or feel, and sound. The sound part was missing - because with the V255/Glastron and tp some extent others, the OBs were so quiet, until you really got into the throttle it was almost like you had an electric OB. With the V255/Glastron you needed over 4K rpms to get or stay on plane. The performance report I;ve read showed a top speed of 43 - but I didn't get anywhere near that #.

H-350 - simply a great bad-ass boat. Great combination of a platform big enough to bring the whole neighborhood and yet still have workable overnight capabilities. Sensitive to trim. If you wanted a deal on a H-350 you should have come to our display at the Annapolis boat show. We had a 2018 with twin 350's and joystick - loaded with generator, retractable arch, AC/Heat, windlass - just about everything, with 50 hours sold as a factory demo with new boat and engine warranties. It was used over the summer by the CEO of Beneteau. List was over $350K if I recall right and it sold for $226.

H- 290 The only I/O powered 290's I've driven have had twin Volvo 300 dp's. Great combination but the boat really acted like a big 260 (i.e. literally jumped on plane). I appreciated how much quieter the OB pwered 290 seemed. I don't remember the top end but it was kind of windy on Lake Michigan that day and I don't remember what the performance reports showed. Hard to argue with the joystick convenience on this boat. The only proble with the H-290 OB is that by the time you do one pass through the option sheet you are near $200K for a boat with no generator and no AC.

I'm a fan of the H-350 and H-290 but I think the jury is still out on the V-255. What I would really wish FW would come out with is an OB powered H-260. We picked up another line this past off-season (rhymes with *inker) and they have two new OB powered bow riders (not deck boats) and we've sold more of their 25 foot models this year than the whole FW line.

If you have any particular questions -- fire away and I'll try to remember each of these demo rides.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm 

I'm thinking very seriously about a Key West DC 203 with an Evinrude G2 150 because of the 10 year warrantee. About the same size as my F/W but more seaworthy and much less maintenance. And actually about the same money as an F/W H-200.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm 

Riva Mike wrote:
I had the opportunity to ride on and drive all three of these at the dealer meeting in Michigan back in September -- and to speak with a couple of the engineers and designers.
My general thoughts and impressions are:
V255 - is really a solution looking for a problem to solve. The design really doesn't take advantage of the "unused" engine compartment and the
low speed handling (with an OB on a bracket on an extended swim platform) was interesting.

...The sound part was missing - because with the V255/Glastron and tp some extent others, the OBs were so quiet, until you really got into the throttle it was almost like you had an electric OB. With the V255/Glastron you needed over 4K rpms to get or stay on plane. The performance report I;ve read showed a top speed of 43 - but I didn't get anywhere near that #.

If you have any particular questions -- fire away and I'll try to remember each of these demo rides.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. THANK YOU!!

And the V255 is the one that interests me the most. The sound comment you made is also one major reason this is interesting to me. I've found on most "cruisers" with i/o power that if you have full camper enclosures etc. the engine noise is just overwhelming. The same can be said for my big Chris-Craft when you are in the cabin or at the lower helm when underway. I love the sound of my inboards but when you can't even talk b/c of the noise, it can get old.

The handling issue with the single outboard is also very interesting to me. I also noticed the Glastron has the bow thruster in the pictures they have on their website. I thought that was interesting, being the value brand and showing a pretty expensive option.

Regarding the space gained by moving to an outboard, what is the space on the V255 used for? Just a big open storage area?

Thanks.