www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am 
Hello four winns family forum, I finally got the boat I wanted and boy she is clean and not beat up. I just have a question, they said it was a late 2002 and according to the registration title it says 2002, but from the brochures I have looked at, it looks like a 2003. Is there such thing as a late 2002? It is has the outboard Johnson 90hp (which I wanted for shallow areas on the lake, its white with tanish or sandy brown accents, has the snap out carpets (which I wanted as well) and its says Freedom 170. But I can't find a brochure for 2002 with freedom??? Only 2003 and 2004.. Can anyone shed some light on this...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

Does the HIN say 02 or 03? It's not uncommon for errors to be made at the DMV when registering. For example, my silver galvanized trailer was listed as black on the old registration.

You can also contact Four Winns directly and ask them. They have really good customer service.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 pm 
Hull Identification # is
GFNJMD0053102
So what does that mean???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm 

Looks like an early 2002 model.

Page 4-7 for your boat: http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2 ... ts2002.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm 
Thank you so much, the guy seamed to spare no expence on it, beautiful trailer has the brakes for the the trailer and more. I wonder why the call it in the main brochure Horizon, but your fast fact call it Freedom 170.
Another quick question what is the stock radio for the boat, I think its original, off hand I thinks its a "sony", removable face with carrying case and it has a cassette tape player..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm 

The Freedom is just a stripped down Horizon. They either didnt have a catalog for it or they never uploaded it to the website. Either way you definitely have a 2002 model boat.

Not sure on the head unit. Id look to see what the smallest Horizon came with. I think mine came with a Clarion marine unit as factory equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 pm 
Ok the radio is the original a upgrade would have been a cd player instead of the cassette (which works)
I do have a another question I don't know if there is a difference between inboard and outboard gauges,
I have outboard
My temperature gauge never moves
and
My speed gauge doesn't either
The rpm gauge works fine and and radio and lights and horn.

Any ideas???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 am 

I have an outboard also (Johnson 130) on my H180. My temp gauge never moves either, but I attribute that to a broken wire on one of the temp sensors on the motor. There are two - one on each bank of cylinders. Unfortunately, new sensors are around $150 each! :shock:

Here is what my sensors look like. It's the tan wire that is broken just inside the sensor head...

So, I continue to run but I'm always checking to make sure I have a steady stream of water coming out of the cowling. I'm not sure what that port is called, but it's a small, steady stream of water that verifies you have flow thru the motor.

On the speedo gauge, if it isn't working, then it's most likely the pitot tube.
Looks like this and is mounted on the bottom of the transom: https://www.amazon.com/Pitot-Tube-Marine-Speedometer-56973P/dp/B00YMT398U

It could be cracked, clogged, broken hose going to it... any number of things. When you replace it, I would also disconnect it at the back of your speedo gauge, then blow thru the hose to make sure it's clear. Do NOT use an air compressor on this tube! Just have someone at the dash end listening for air to come thru. If it's clear and you have a new pitot installed, then your gauge may have other issues.

Hope this helps.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)