www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:08 pm 
Shark

Yeah, I know this belongs in the "engine" thread, but more traffic here.

I'm running a 2002 Volvo 5.0 carbureted engine and have an ongoing issue with vapor lock. Engine starts at the touch of the key when cold, also starts right up when hot, but dies after I take off and get on plane. Re-starting is a challenge - almost to the point of killing the battery. The engine and everything associated with it is in excellent condition, fuel filter changed every year, hoses where they need to be, changed thermostat last year for very slight over heating, but this vapor lock issue has persisted for several years.

A few things I recognize I should be doing more consistently...let idle for a lot longer before taking off (when hot), re-start the engine every 15~20 minutes or so when sitting on the lake, reduce things in the engine compartment that may be making the surroundings hot (like ski vests, my wife's wool blankets (for when the temp drops below 90), and stuff like that.

Anyways, looking for some thoughts or countermeasures others have tried. Fuel additive? Insulate the fuel line to the carb?
also, I usually use marine fuel...

thoughts?

Last edited by Misterbulbous on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

You might try using the blower (engine comp't vent fan) more. Try leaving it on for 10-15 minutes before shutting down, and leave it on for 10- 20 minutes while shut down. Or open the engine hatch when you shut down. Insulating the fuel line might help. As the engine is working coolant is being circulated. When the engine is shut down there is no way to dissipate the heat other than ventilating the engine compartment, and that is not as effective as the engine's cooling system.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon