www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

You can see the "new" ladder folded up in this pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Df92QDwbmSToDa2n8

It sticks out slightly more than the original bi-fold, but not by much.
As for this past weekend, it was definitely worth the effort to get this installed! So much easier to get in or out of the boat while on the water. I have some wider step pads on order that will be here later this week to make it easier on our feet. We might actually use the boat more just because of this ladder mod!

Side note: Previously, I never knew (or even really noticed) what the little hole on the side of the upper ladder section was for. I was "informed" that it used to be where a tie-down strap was located originally. I now have a permanent strap attached there for holding the ladder in place and it works great! (I used to just have a loose strap zip-tied to the boat tie-down loop on the transom.)

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:40 pm 

Just adding some pics of the new ladder mod and the replacement step pads we ordered...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pH51HxHia2QH9PKA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A2G4szEv7KDMjAyq5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vKHTq8ijVjneTH4Q6

This ladder mod is the 2nd best thing we've ever done to the boat (next to replacing the lower unit...)! 8)

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:56 pm 

Time to kick off the new boating season!
Hauled our H180 back to the house yesterday, then drained the lower unit gear oil this afternoon. Since I've reached the 10-hr break-in point, it was time to see how well the new lower unit is doing. Everything looked good today, so I put the muffs on and she fired right up and ran good.

This weekend will see our first splash for the season.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming Easter Weekend!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:11 pm 
Shark

It is still rainy nasty logs in the river and no dock in yet. It snowed today.

But i got the boat tags and the truck/trailer parking stickers. I am ready for water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:31 am 

Weather is starting to get better here. Mines going down to the boat yard to get bottom painted on Friday. Then I reinstall the outdrive & paint that myself. One project for this spring is to repair the rot in the starboard side coaming panel & install a new remote control.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:59 am 

This was my first run of the season on Friday, April 15th, Canyon Lake, 10 am with no other boats and flat water. Full tank of fuel and just myself on board.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K7WeSmMWPuzEcHAf6

Topped out at 43 mph!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_N9SDWiKNcoE-HRevPB_4ir0b4f1MLUdQlmIEZ8iGoSyHSzhcH8ge5DUgNrGRWYp1qSL2IbM4j_eV2VIbt4R_9bm5gxYfoMqan_EFQ_z8uz7Ay5FU5BkwoR9uA3PimFe1Z8KjnzrUA=w2400

We also had a great evening cruise on Saturday...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hxNGSNTNhRV-bwhfDelxs1lB8D1tebRNlhZZVfu5nqvQSQVpA_dBChVjvr2sJxnfD4rCqWThZ9lr5OyhM9yblC7z0fZ0bP1QMfI6vTyWJa_CZjQqCQ07d3aegRu8DACXPWCjDyuNlg=w2400

(someone let me know if the links won't work)

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:19 pm 
Shark

Went to see if the dock was in yet. Nope. River looks good they got the mud at the landing cleaned up. It is a late start this year cold and rain. But it is getting close. Chevelle is done now clean and wax the boat and start it up. Surely the freezes are over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 pm 

A couple weeks ago, right after Memorial Day, I finally got tired enough of trying to keep the rear side bunks on the trailer in place due to rust. So I hacked them off!!! Ground everything down smooth and repainted the rear steps. It's not the prettiest, but it looks way better than before.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/126PlzcZfekM_fByjR2PpCHbVaVMoUaheQ2fLb_ItgHkREKH-BacgTWbo0-BD6mDkqwPIQ1ucIn8KZqUEmX-VlhWktvxt2syIKgYLidXOcknbP2C_hFy1WZnwDo1473HvEGzRLutrA=w2400

I have a set of PVC uprights to be installed to take the place of the side bunks. Currently working to get them installed...

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:41 pm 

Gotta get a galvanized trailer. That or aluminum is the only thing that will survive here in the salt pond. Mine's a 1994, it's been modded and rebuilt several times, but the frame is original. Latest upgrade was to install a custom galvanized 2x3 6000 lb drop saddle center axle with 12" brakes.
I put mine in last week, it is out on the same mooring we always use. The main challenge is not mechnical it is keeping the dang birds off it. I have a couple of fake angry cats, bird spiders and next I'm adding a gull sweep. Gotta keep changing stuff to throw them off.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:37 am 

kmack wrote:
I have a set of PVC uprights to be installed to take the place of the side bunks. Currently working to get them installed...

Wow...so I never got back here to update my install. Sorry folks!

The install went pretty good. I had bought an extra length of PVC pipe just in case the pieces that came with the kit were too small for our hull. But turned out that everything was perfect. I did end up having to trim down the length of the metal arms where they bolt onto the trailer since I was top-mounting them to the rear step area.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJFCJaX_PvrR4fwnWC-feonKJQWCcFIu8UnCIZm2_T2-9gSiMKDL9cH8dTMuO4kl-FfcRtPc6_kk3SO5dcKCwZ-0BMuMtG8fpziCNtrKvYSTSgFUPfbvZVI=w2400
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJFCJaXbL4XIdCzqnAj1fjBpP5RtWzCe_N-tFhK80ah1I3t3qjACLPim8U7iB_CMSyYRIgQPYIhf8kVvHXvtpcOG4STns9xq4-lzq_5Kh0uqQHfschK8Jfs=w2400
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJFCJaUeljcFTwCUlcvfeSQJjpQSvjv5eJiJ2pZXsazhBjnxwW8sU8DYXu9yIA6tP_Zc7nsT5o9rxv2lnLmi336o3Qhuikhsu_fIRp1eddStuZ87n-scddA=w2400

So far, getting the boat back on the trailer has been easier than ever now!

Anyway, I was hoping we would get out on the water during the Easter Holiday weekend, but the weather here in Central TX was uncooperative. We even cancelled the entire camping trip!
We'll be making another go at getting on the water here in about a week from now. Crossing my fingers we get an uneventful first splash!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:54 am 

The side guides really help I've had them on my trailer for like 15 years.
Put the outdrive back on and got mine started up last week. Been cleaning it up and getting it ready for bottom paint. Here most people use roller trailers due to the water depth changes with the tides (6 feet difference between high and low tide). My brother has a 21' Chapparal on a bunk trailer and for his we have to launch at the town ramp which is much deeper and steeper than my local ramp. The roller works better on my shallow ramp but still have to launch at high tide. When I modified the trailer the last time I lowered the cross members to get the boat as low as possible but the chines are still higher than the fenders.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:44 am 

kmack wrote:
We'll be making another go at getting on the water here in about a week from now. Crossing my fingers we get an uneventful first splash!

Best laid plans...nothing has gone right so far this year with regards to our boat! Not all of it the boat's fault, though.
At our last camping trip in April (one mentioned above), we got into the water at the boat ramp, but the battery just didn't have enough juice in it to get things started. My fault really. I keep the boat plugged in at storage and it has an internal battery charger on board. Never had an issue in previous years storing this way, but I can only guess that somehow the boat got "unplugged" at storage (it's in an open but covered spot) or lost power somehow. And I didn't check it before we left... So we never got on the water. Had a spare battery at the house even, but it was too far to go to try and get it. Did fire up the engine w/ the spare battery once we got home, so no issues there.

Memorial Day camping trip was the next time to try and get out, but by then my Grand Cherokee (tow vehicle) had been totaled out by the insurance company (drunk driver hit back in February) and so we had no way to get the boat to the lake.

We were going to try again this past weekend for Father's Day, but the Suburban that I bought to replace the Jeep is not ready for prime-time or towing yet. :roll:

So the summer is slowing ticking away and we've yet to get out on the water. Life has gotten in the way this year of making time for boating, but hopefully we can get out a couple times a bit later, once this TX heat calms down a bit!

Ya'll enjoy the water now!!!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:38 pm 

My '07 200 came with Clarion CM1605 speakers in it. One of them finally quit working so I investigated to find the speaker cones totally ripped to shreds in almost all 4 of them. Ordered 4 Sony XSMP1611 speakers to replace them. When I got them the mounting pattern was similar but a bit different-- I was able to drill some new holes and get them mounted. They sound better than what they replaced for sure. Peak is 150W rather than 100W of the Clarion speakers. Seems a little louder than when the originals were new but not 50% louder... my rough guess is maybe 20%? don't know yet til I run them at WOT. Definitely happy with the purchase though as they were very affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:18 am 

Sorry to hear about the Jeep, still have mine, I started looking for a newer Hemi powered Grand but they are hard to find, and the ones I do find, have the air suspension which I do not want. Just put a radiator and water pump in mine. It is only at 122,000 miles so still has a good bit of life in it I think.
Boat is in and running well. Year 6 on the top end overhaul I did back in 2017 (I installed reman cylinder heads, new head gaskets, due to overheat damage that happened back in 2013). Also installed a new center riser style exhaust system at the same time.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:52 pm 

kmack wrote:
So the summer is slowing ticking away and we've yet to get out on the water. Life has gotten in the way this year of making time for boating, but hopefully we can get out a couple times a bit later, once this TX heat calms down a bit!

Well, we have still yet to get the boat in the water this summer. The Texas heat wave has been relentless and has caused a lot of lakes/ponds to either dry or come close to drying up. It's been rough.
Medina Lake, where we store our boat is 84' below pool level (4% full), and we can't even see water from the boat ramp!
Canyon Lake, where we typically camp at, is currently 17' below pool level (67% full) and out of 22 boat ramps only 3 remain open!

Unless we get a hurricane to blow thru the Gulf and park on top of Central Tx for a few days, it's looking like we may have to head for the coast, just to get the boat wet!

We did however finally get things settled with regard to our tow vehicle. The 'Burb I had bought turned out to be more of a project than we wanted and was sold within 2 months. We have replaced it with another Jeep - 2013 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ the 5.7 Hemi.

Hope everyone is having some great times on the water near you!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next