www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

LouC wrote:
Yep I resisted the expensive outboard option all these years due to being brought up on Chevy small blocks in the old days (1970s), and if I were in freshwater I’d still run the I/O as long as I could get one without cat converter exhaust. But here trailering is really not a good option due to the roads and traffic. And I’m at the age where doing all the work I/Os need is getting old.
Where about have you gotten job offers? NYC, Long Island or Westchester? I’ve lived in all 3...

Just saw this, thought I replied already lol.

The offers were on Long Island.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 am 

Interesting...LI is a great boating area, all salt water though. You could run your boat here but your maintenance will naturally increase. If trailered it’s not bad at all.
PS finally installed one of those pmgr mini starters (Arco). Big difference, starts like a new vehicle now not like an old pick up truck!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am 

My thinking was to keep the same boat, and find a storage unit or garage with a hose so I could flush everything after every use.

Now I don't think anyone is hiring. lol

I'm still waiting on my touchup paint to arrive so I can freshen up the drive. It's supposed to snow this weekend and temps are STILL going below freezing. I'm hoping by next weekend I can pull her out of storage and fire things up. I still have to clean the interior, I have grease all over the place from maintenance.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 am 

Yeah the economy is not great here I’m semi retired and work part time. Did 30 years in public education and retired in ‘17, then they hired me back to work part time for their alternative High School program. Marinas are starting to open up here finally. Whereabouts on LI were you getting offers? Housing and energy costs are very high here.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:24 pm 

One was an Accounting position in Oyster Bay.

I wouldn’t have made any more money than I already make up here. Then there’s the whole cost of living thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 am 

You’re better off up there cost of living wise, the whole virus crisis is a big deal down here now, and from what I can see things are not going to be normal for a long time; at least till there is a safe and effective vaccine available. Here the benefits are a longer boating season; shorter winter for sure (the last 2 years there has been hardly any snow). However in years past we have had bad winters, multiple storms blizzards etc. We do get an occasional hurricane with power outages.
You boating areas there would have been Oyster Bay itself, and nearby Huntington and Northport Bays. Nice flat calm days you could venture out in LI Sound; but as I’ve commented these non self bailing bowriders (even the newer ones that have drains, they are too small to really help) are not really adequate for LI Sound. The whole north shore of LI has mostly deep water unlike the bays of the south shore which are very shallow depending on tides. If you trailered it the main thing would have been the ability to flush out the salt and replacing the exhaust elbows at least if not the manifolds too at 5-6 year intervals.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:29 pm 

There was a place on the water that was 2400 a month. Then I’d have to find storage and what not. Wasn’t really worth it for the same salary IMO.

Hope all is well down there.

As for the boat, my order of touch up paint should arrive today. So I’ll work on that over the weekend if it isn’t too cold (supposed to drop to 24 tonight.)

Good news is the long range has 70s in it, so after this cold snap the boating season can really begin.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:18 pm 
Shark

Well global warming is killing us here. Last year I blew a motor up and was putting in the warentee replacement by now. This year I bought begonias today because the frost killed them the last 2 days.

Haven't even backed it up and started it yet. River is flooded and dock still isn't in. I wouldn't go out if it was in yet. I actually came in from working because it is to cold for me. So riding in a boat over 35 degree water is not in the cards.

I did go lake shopping. East fork is gonna be one of the places I go once my lips wont turn blue putting in at the landing. That is a nice park.

I do like my new maintenance system this year. I got a charge port up on the teak rail. I can check the battery and just clip the trickle charger on it. Don't even got to open or get into the boat. Seat stays where it should be. Bored and doing boat stuff just cause as my son says.

Well hope you all are doing well and summer comes before fall does.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 am 

Started it up last Sun may 3rd after installing a new PMGR starter (Arco) my old direct drive starter was starting to slow down last season. Then Friday of that week temps dropped to near record lows and I wound up having to drain it not knowing if it might get colder than they said...I saw ice on our flat roof and there were vids of a snow squall here Sat morning! Never had freezing temps that late here as long as I’ve lived here!
If you haven’t tried one of these PMGR starters I would recommend it; they are lighter, crank faster and draw less current. Most boats made ‘96 and newer probable came with them from the factory; you can tell in parts diagrams because the older style starters came with a front brace due to the greater weight of the old direct drive starters. The PMGR units do not use the brace...they use special knurled bolts to make sure the starter doesn’t get loose.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 pm 
Shark

Well I finally started it yesterday. It is thunderstorming today.

I cleaned the cover top and bow cover with anti mold mildew spray. It is kept inside and dry but it wont hurt it.

I had a loose wire on the alternator other than that it was a easy deal. Fired right up. Got it warm cleaned on her some and wrapped her back up. Closed her in.

Flooding seems to be over here now maybe they will put in the dock. Other than that it is supposed to rain almost 2 weeks straight. But i think the unseasonably cold weather (freezing ) is finished now.

Personally I am ready to go fishing.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 pm 

Ordered a magnet fishing kit for it. Should be interesting.

Finally received all paint and parts so I can finish recommissioning.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am 
Shark

Installed 2nd house battery on my 2007 278 Visa.
On this boat the starter battery is located in front of the house battery just in forward of the hot water heater on the Port side.
I had just enough cable and room to move the starter battery to aft of the hot water heater.
Then installed the 2nd house battery where the starter battery originally was.
Purchased a 51" 2 gauge battery cable from Walmart and connected negative to the house battery negative (so all negatives are tied together). Routed the original starter Positive cable coming off the Engine main switch behind the water heater and to the new location.

All other positive and negative cables installed on house batteries.

Used 2 each 2 gauge battery cables from Walmart (19" long) to interconnect the house positive and negative to wire in parallel.

Yes - the battery charger is now charging 2 batteries instead of one but that just means it will take longer to charge up over night / week when not using the boat.

Also I moved the generator start cable (that is also the charging cable @ 25 amps) to the house batteries so it can charge them faster than just the 10 amp charger.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am 
Shark

Wow terrible boat summer. river flooded again. I put a new alt on the boat today. The last new one was charging at 15.8 volts. So I got another that was tested. It is raining still here. LOL no mercy from mother nature.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm 

Our lake is still full of debris. Going to spend this weekend recommissioning while the checkbook boaters chop up all of the floating logs. Lol

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 pm 

Shift cable is done. What a pain and a learning process.

Painting the stern drive today. Probably detailing sometime next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next