www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Did every piece of annual maintenance on VP's maintenance schedule.

STRONGLY considering outboard power for the next one... Either that or a boat that doesn't have non-removable fiberglass all around the engine box.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 am 

Misterfu02 wrote:
Did every piece of annual maintenance on VP's maintenance schedule.

STRONGLY considering outboard power for the next one... Either that or a boat that doesn't have non-removable fiberglass all around the engine box.

That's what I've been saying, for years. The older boats that had either the dog house and jump seats on either side, or the wide bench seat in front of the engine with the large sun pad (like mine) were a lot easier once you got the dog house off or the seat out of the way. What I did when I replaced the deck back in 2007 was replace the full width seat with two 36"wide seats (pontoon furniture) and I cut the bulkhead behind them in half, so I can lift out each seat, then remove the bulkhead one half at a time, its on a take apart hinge. I can also open it like a door, if all I have to do is get at the oil filter on the port side.

I bet you could take the boat to a good fiberglass shop and figure out a way to make that 'glass removable, by reinforcing the remaining structure. I would never ever buy a modern I/O boat designed like that. It shows to me total disrespect to the owner and mechanics. As in, we don't give a damn about you, how much trouble this causes you and all we care about is making it look all pretty and as cheap as possible. Because, there is no reason why, that could not be designed to be removable. Just take a look at custom built race cars, how all the panels can be removed for access. Difference is, they are designed by people who care about maintenance.

For sure get an outboard next time. The only downside is up front cost, after that, every other point is an advantage.
Self draining
no fumes in the bilge
you can't have a flooded bilge from a failed cooling hose (this happened to me once!)
no alignment issues
no bellows leak causing rusted gimble/ujoints
can trim up without damaging ujoints
wide choice of engines
approx. 400 lbs lighter for the same hp

advantage of I/O
cheaper to repower
simple GM Marine engines, if you grew up in the '70s like me you know these engines inside and out
can be run on a simple Holley, Edelbrock or Quadrajet carb (older models)
can be fitted with closed cooling to reduce internal corrosion

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:35 pm 

The only thing I dislike about outboards is the sound. I guess I'm just nostalgic for the V8 rumble in these boats, but the only FW outboard I drove was the H180 with the 135 HO Evinrude, and it sounded like a jetski compared to the 5.0.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 pm 

Although there's a little more maintenance required, you could look at a 4-stroke OB. My neighbor has a 25' Welcraft Cuddy for offshore fishing with two Honda 150 4-strokes. I've been on his boat many times while he cranks the starter only to hear that horrendous sound of the bendix hitting an already turning flywheel! Those motors are seriously quiet!

It's not a rumble like a V8, but then some people aren't always into the "wasp-farting-into-a-tin-can" sound of a normal 2-stroke!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 am 

The eTec is weird - I honestly thought it was a 4 stroke until I went home and researched it. That thing is seriously quiet.

The boat isn't TERRIBLE to work on, and FW has these snap out canvas things around the fiberglass so you can access everything. I just can't see myself bending at weird angles to reach things when I am 60+ years old, lol.

To clean the bilge, for example, I use a bath towel and a boat hook to move it around. An outboard wouldn't require any of that. Then again, 95% of boats on the water probably have never had their bilges wiped out, let alone cleaned after every use. I guess I am just OCD when it comes to machinery.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:44 pm 

Misterfu02 wrote:
The eTec is weird - I honestly thought it was a 4 stroke until I went home and researched it. That thing is seriously quiet.

The boat isn't TERRIBLE to work on, and FW has these snap out canvas things around the fiberglass so you can access everything. I just can't see myself bending at weird angles to reach things when I am 60+ years old, lol.

To clean the bilge, for example, I use a bath towel and a boat hook to move it around. An outboard wouldn't require any of that. Then again, 95% of boats on the water probably have never had their bilges wiped out, let alone cleaned after every use. I guess I am just OCD when it comes to machinery.

Hey I resemble that remark lol (over 60 years old, well I'm as old as the original Chevrolet small block, so that's older than 60)
and I'm still doing it. BUT....my wife gave the go-ahead to sell the old FW and get a Key West DC 203 with my choice of power (probably Evinrude, continuing my OMC legacy). Going to look with my brother tomorrow.

PS when I did the top end overhaul I was 62. Still doing oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups, outdrive R+Rs etc.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:23 pm 

LouC wrote:
Misterfu02 wrote:

Hey I resemble that remark lol (over 60 years old, well I'm as old as the original Chevrolet small block, so that's older than 60)
and I'm still doing it. BUT....my wife gave the go-ahead to sell the old FW and get a Key West DC 203 with my choice of power (probably Evinrude, continuing my OMC legacy). Going to look with my brother tomorrow.

PS when I did the top end overhaul I was 62. Still doing oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups, outdrive R+Rs etc.

I can only pray I have that type of dexterity at your age.

PS your boat is older than I am. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 pm 

The more active you are, the better you feel within limits.
While my wife has given the go ahead for a new boat....my son is pushing for a 392 Challenger, we have had a Hemi powered Jeep for 10 years but never had a true muscle car, I might just have to do it, for a few years at least.
My boat is older than you...now that makes me feel ancient...but the advantage of age...we understand those gas inboards...VERY well...all of our cars...were basically the same....Chevy 350s, Ford 302s, etc. In fact the skills I developed with gas inboards, would transition over very well to classic musclecars, if I decide to go in that direction. While I can do the work, I would not choose an I/O again in the future. Especially because they all have cat converter exhaust starting in 2008. With the same nuisances they brought to cars (expensive replacements of cats, O2 sensor codes, etc).

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 am 

Misterfu02 wrote:
PS your boat is older than I am. :lol:

Great.... now you're making me feel old, too!
I may not be at the door of a half century yet, but I'm only a couple feet away!

Lou is right, the more active you are, the easier it is to keep doing these types of things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 am 

I try to stay active, even though I have a 9-5 desk job.

Finally got the boat out on Saturday. Everything ran great, but I think I have a trim fluid leak. The reservoir was at Min, and when I trimmed the drive up in the water I saw an oil slick behind the boat.

There was also some oil in the bilge. I'll have to look into it a bit more when I have it out again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:00 pm 

I had my trim lines replaced back in ‘05 or so, one started leaking. Since then I haven’t had to touch the trim system except to clean the terminals on the old style large relays.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:06 pm 

I'll check it out over the next few days. Fortunately I have the old style with the trim pump in the boat, and not the idiotic design where VP put it on the transom plate.

I read it could be a cap o-ring, cracked reservoir, or a leaking line.

I'm taking it to another lake this weekend, but it's a tiny lake (4.5 miles) compared to the one I normally boat on (29 miles). Hopefully it won't leak much while I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 pm 

I remember feeling lucky to find my 2008 which I got in 2010. The lack of cats was a big big plus. The minus is lack of engine access.

Only salvation was the remote oil filter and I was 9 years younger at the time of purchase. I do like the performance and other benefits of the IO....but maintenance isn't one of them.

I do need to find a mobile marine mechanic to do things beyond my limits. I had a great one but he moved out of state without my consent.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm 

Boat ran real good today.

Hit 54 MPH on the GPS with just me and a nearly full tank of gas. I know people say waxing the hull slows the boat down but I swear it made mine faster. This is on the stock aluminum prop too!

Not leaking trim fluid - I checked it with the drive down and it was in normal range. I guess if you check it with the drive up it isn’t accurate.

The lake was insanely crowded. Which is to be expected on a 4 mile lake near Albany. Tons of fun though, and the state launch was relatively painless. I guess I’m spoiled with my 29 mile lake that’s rarely congested.

I forgot my drain plug, so I had to go to the marina across the street to get a new one. They had a new H210 there - $ 71,000, and it had 20 HP less than my H200. I think I’ll stick with my 06.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:46 pm 

Funny story...kinda. I have some buds who have cigarette boats and go on regular high speed runs. They run twin and tri high performance 300 hp OBs..at lunch one guy said he had to run to meet UPS as he was getting new lower units delivered...pricey

I asked what the hell...one of the other guys said overmaintenance....I spit my tea I was laughing so hard. I'm not into it but they normally run in 80mph range on their runs.

I wouldn't even enjoy it myself as I prefer the half throttle 30 mph cruise where I'm not shi puckered... different strokes I reckon... they also drag race cars and motorcycles so it's all about the speed

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next