www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bennett Trim Tab Leak
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:38 am 
Hello,

Just curious if anyone knows how to fix this. I have a leak in one of my trim tab actuators I think. I can't see the leak and there is no evidence of leaking outside at upper hinge or transom, or on the piston itself, but after running the boat I get oil and a small amount of water in the bilge. I've narrowed it down to the trim tabs simply because I checked all fluids and the trim tab fluid in the bennett motor housing was almost empty. I refilled it and it has lowered considerably already.

Would a faulty O ring, or loose piston cause water and oil to leak inside the bilge ? or do I have another problem ?

Thanks for any advice

jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

For the hydraulic fluid leak, I would look inside to see if there is a leak in one of the trim tab lines or the trim tab pump assembly. Try careully wiping the lines with a paper towel. Any significant residual oil will show on the towel. Look at any area where trim lines, the outdrive, or any other items pass through the transom for a water leak. Its possible that one of the trim tab cylinders may be the source of your water and fluid leak, but maybe not.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 am 
email admin your custom rank

On the port side of my Vista, the threaded metal pipe that passes through the transom had been overtightened, stripping the thread in the plastic "hinge" section of the actuator.