www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 am 
Great forum guys, I've spent some time digging through and finding info on most of my queries.

Just about to put a deposit down on H210ss 2007 model that looks in great shape. its been serviced by a volva penta dealer since new, one owner, last service was a big one and the owner paid about $3000 for. Lots of seals and orings changed and checked. There was a riser kit in the bill for $85 so I'm guessing this is just gaskets and not the actual riser.

Floor seems solid, was wandering if anyone can confirm if this model had any wood in the hull or is all fibreglass. Also what’s the rough cost for manifold and riser replacement?

Thanks heaps

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

Is the boat used in freshwater or salt? If in freshwater the manifolds and elbows can last a long time but in salt you need to replace them every 5-7 years. If those gaskets between the manifold and elbow are leaking then I’m my opinion the sealing surfaces should be checked and re surfaced if needed. If you see rust trails emigrating from that joint that is a sign that water can be leaking inside which can put water into a cylinder via an open exhaust valve. Manifold and elbow replacement can be quite expensive if they use OE Volvo parts. You can also use Barr aftermarket which are good quality. I’m in salt water and my old engine has had 4 exhaust systems on it over the years we have had it. If you are in fresh water usually those sealing surfaces can be cleaned up by a machine shop and they can be re-used. If there is a lot of flaking rust inside they both should be replaced. Light surface rust is ok.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 am 

Sounds like a saltwater boat from all of the service it's had. Not necessarily a bad thing if it has been maintained - LouC can attest to that, lol.

I asked FW about my 2006 boat and they confirmed that the 2006 200 Horizon is 100% wood free. They're made using the VEC manufacturing process. 210 is likely the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoGghzaoxA

You still need to keep it dry though.

How many hours are on it?

If you can't get a survey, at least do a sea trial and make sure everything works 100%. Make sure the bilge is bone dry after running it for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am 
LouC wrote:
Is the boat used in freshwater or salt? If in freshwater the manifolds and elbows can last a long time but in salt you need to replace them every 5-7 years. If those gaskets between the manifold and elbow are leaking then I’m my opinion the sealing surfaces should be checked and re surfaced if needed. If you see rust trails emigrating from that joint that is a sign that water can be leaking inside which can put water into a cylinder via an open exhaust valve. Manifold and elbow replacement can be quite expensive if they use OE Volvo parts. You can also use Barr aftermarket which are good quality. I’m in salt water and my old engine has had 4 exhaust systems on it over the years we have had it. If you are in fresh water usually those sealing surfaces can be cleaned up by a machine shop and they can be re-used. If there is a lot of flaking rust inside they both should be replaced. Light surface rust is ok.

Thanks Lou. It’s been used in both salt and fresh, This will be my first sterndrive so thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:21 pm 
Misterfu02 wrote:
Sounds like a saltwater boat from all of the service it's had. Not necessarily a bad thing if it has been maintained - LouC can attest to that, lol.

I asked FW about my 2006 boat and they confirmed that the 2006 200 Horizon is 100% wood free. They're made using the VEC manufacturing process. 210 is likely the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoGghzaoxA

You still need to keep it dry though.

How many hours are on it?

If you can't get a survey, at least do a sea trial and make sure everything works 100%. Make sure the bilge is bone dry after running it for a while.

Thanks, yes definitely used in salt and also freshwater, it has a neautrasalt system added and from what I read helps slow down the process of rust, not sure if this is better than a flush kit. Each summer I moor my boats for a month, never been a problem with my out boards as u trim the leg out of the water and flush with muffs. I’m a little worried about not being able flush after every use, so I think I’ll use the neutrasalt system and take her out of the water once a week for a full flush.

I’ve read some models come with a flush kit, do you know if this flushes the full path of salt water through the motor?

She has done 250 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:44 pm 

If it has a Volvo-Penta engine then it'll have a port where you can plug a hose into and flush the motor out while it's idling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:23 am 

If your going to use in only fresh water there are plenty SS models that are fresh only use. Is the trailer galvanized or painted steel? If painted and used in salt that would be very concerning. Painted steel will be toast if dunked in saltwater.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:19 pm 
TX H210SS wrote:
If your going to use in only fresh water there are plenty SS models that are fresh only use. Is the trailer galvanized or painted steel? If painted and used in salt that would be very concerning. Painted steel will be toast if dunked in saltwater.

Hey thanks TX

I’m in Melbourne and unfortunately not as much on the market here. Most Fourwinns here are used in the bay (salt). With regards to the trailer I need to have another look,it’s definitely not that painted high gloss look, it’s more of a matt black finish with what I thought to be gal underneath... need to check this out again.

Also does your 08 have a door to close off the bow area? Is this an option? I don’t think it’s available on the 07.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 pm 

that sounds like what F/W called the Gatorhyde trailer. Here we all have galvy trailers, or aluminum. My galvy Load Rite is going on 25 years old and is still solid. I replaced the axle, springs and brakes about 15 years ago.

If you do wind buying it to use in salt water keep in mind the need to do maintenance that outboards don't really need like the exhaust manifolds and R+Ring the lower unit at the end of each season for the maintenance checks. The work is not hard or complex and will save you thousands in paying someone to do it, or doing repairs from not doing it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:53 pm 
thanks Lou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:25 pm 

Nope...i don't have door leading to the How, but it was an option based on what I've read. Never had desire since its not cold here ling and I like warm weather for boating anyway.

If I were near water and prone to go out in chilly temps...i think I would prefer using a vinyl type snap on bow cover instead as it snaps up near window frame. If cold and needed then nobody would be riding up front anyway.

I will say I've been very happy with my 08 SS....nice ride and fits my use with plenty power. Also, the 07 is pre catalytic converter like mine. One less expensive item to worry about and I've been told it knocks Horsepower down...not sure if true but dealer told me I don't want catalytic converter when I got boat.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 pm 

Not sure if your area uses ethanol in fuel but it will eventually kill the original fuel pump....hopefully that's been dealt with already if so. Other issue with this make model is leaking power steering ram seal but I haven't had that issue on mine. I got mine used in 2010 so original owner may have it taken care of or I got lucky...so far

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:50 pm 

I will say all models and brands have their quirks as these are made by man not God....that hose hookup for the flush is mainly for those who slip their boat and can't use the muffs....if your trailering it's more of a pain to use than the muffs and doesn't flush as well in my opinion.

I've only used mine once in 8 years as I trailer.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:29 pm 
Hey thanks so much guys! I’m now the proud owner of a H210ss 2007, had her in the driveway with muffs on, what a sweet sound!

Gave her a big clean, washed her covers, got some usual electrical to attend to, fit brake controller to the car and then HAPPY DAYS!

Oh and then the fun part of selling my current baby!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:21 pm 

Awesome and congrats on the new toy...one thing I forgot to mention....i imagine you have the captain's call exhaust.....do not swap between silent and thru hull when under power. Making the change should only be done at idle speed to avoid damage to the baffles in the exhaust.

Also...theres a snap in front of windshield to hold the walk thru window in place when opened up. Make sure that thing is snapped ALL the time....otherwise it will hang on the plexi windshield and scratch the hell out of it....dont ask!

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi