www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 am 
I'm considering purchasing my first Four Winns! It is a 1997 200 Horizon Sunscape with a 5.0L. I have not seen the boat in person yet and the pics I have don't provide much detail, but I'm hoping the forum can provide a bit of information. I assume it is Volvo-Penta but I don't know if it is carb'd or fuel injected. This is not my first boat and I know my way around boats pretty well (systems, electrical, etc). This is a freshwater only boat.

Few questions:
-Do these models have an hour meter?
-Is there any wood (stringers or floors) in the boat or is it all fiberglass?
-Any major downfalls or shortcomings of this year and model (1997 200 Horizon)?

Also, it does not have a trailer. I reached out to Four Winns this last week and they can no longer make them for this hull. Does anyone have one for sale or can you recommend a trailer manufacturer to get one from?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome to the site and best wishes on your boat shopping. The Four Winns site has a lot of info that you may be interested in. www.fourwinns.com Click on the "Owners" tab and look under the "Catalogs and Product Information" and the "Parts Catalog". You can find sales brochures for that model year and the Four Winns "Fast Facts" with engines, weights, performance numbers, etc. Select your model year and other details. Very informative!!!

1. You say it is a 200 Horizon "Sunscape". I don't recognize the "Sunscape" name. I had a 190 Horizon with the "SunSport" interior (2 buckets, a bench seat, and large sun deck over the engine).
2. According to the Four Winns Fast Facts (see website above) the 200 Horizons came with either a 4.3 or a 5.7. All were Volvo Penta packages. Either engine was available with a carb or fuel injection. The engine (for example 4.3 GL, 4.3 Gi, 5.7 GL, 5.7 GLi) would have fuel injection if the model ends with a small letter "i". The letter "G" means it is a GM engine, "L" by itself means carburetor. Back in the mid '90s the boating industry changed the way they rated engine horsepower. Before the mid '90s, a 5.7 with a 4 barrel Carb was normally rated 260hp at the crankshaft. Then the industry decided to rate the same engine at the prop. While the engine still developed the same power, the horsepower rating was reduced to approx 220. Then in the late '90s the GM engines saw the addition of changes (Vortec) that bumped the power back up.
3. An hourmeter was not a standard item. I'm not sure if it was even an option.
4. My understanding is that this boat did not have wooden stringers. My '95 190 did have a wood/carpet floor. I understand the '96 and later went to a fiberglass floor with snap-in carpet (much better).
5. A general comment on any boat is to make sure you get plenty of power. You can always throttle back, but you can't get more than what is there. Most people will recommend a survey, which is good advice. This boat may or may not have flapper valves in the exhaust system. I battled this on my old Horizon. Somewhere in the late '90s VP quit installing them, and issued a service bulletin that they can be removed.
6. Used trailers could be a crap shoot, especially if they were used in salt water. While the Four Winns steel trailers work really well, corrosion can be a really bad situation.

Good luck on your shopping.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm 
Thank you, Surface Interval! I had not found the "fastfacts" and that was helpful. Also, you are correct, I meant Sun Sport not SunScape.

Also interesting the owner's claim it has a 5.0L, not either the 4.3 or 5.7 like the 1997 factory brochures mention. Plus, those 5.7 horsepower ratings are atrocious...215hp from a 350ci GM motor...yikes!

Do these motors have a water pump (for engine cooling) with a serviceable or replaceable water impeller?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 pm 

The way it was explained to me back in the mid '90s, the horsepower rating method switched from crankshaft hp to prop shaft hp. This reduced the rating 25-50 hp on a 350 chev, without reducing the engine's actual power output. The sales pitch was that the engine still developed the same power but this rating reduction helped things like insurance premiums, etc. As mentioned in the previous post, the introduction of GM's Vortec technology boosted the horsepower again through some parts changes and tuning. My 2002 5.7 Gi is rated at 280, and current versions of the same engine are rated at 300. The 5.7 GXi is rated at 320, and other models of the 5.7 are rated at over 350 hp.

These engines have two water pumps. The "raw water pump" in a GM engine is mounted on the front of the crankshaft. You can disconnect the 2 hoses, remove 2 bolts to remove the bracket, and remove 4 screws to pull the cap to change the impeller. Depending on the installation, its not a difficult job. The impeller should be changed on a regular basis, depending on usage and other factors. Some recommend every 2 years. You can find Youtube videos for changing the impeller. This video shows rebuilding the pump, including bearing and seals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOSt6dEJyPQ

The circulation pump is mounted on the front of the engine block just like what your 5.7 in your car or truck has.

Either pump could leak. Watch for water dripping from the drain hole on the bottom of either pump. If you ever have overheating issues you probably are having pump issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am 

http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2 ... g-1997.pdf

Those 97's had a gel-coated floor, but underneath was still wood. Pretty sure FW confirmed the transom as being wood as well. I asked them back when I was looking.

It's "composite coaming board" construction - basically glorified marine-grade plywood. So you need to check for rot somehow. If it was trailered and stored indoors, dry, under a cover when not in use then it's probably fine.

Look in the bilge, ski locker, etc. for water stains. Have a reputable marina perform a pre-purchase inspection. Sea trial if you can. NADA has boat values but is usually priced a bit high IMO.

As for trailers, I highly recommend yacht club. For a Horizon 200 you should look for something like this: http://www.yachtclubtrailers.com/bunk-alum/A2050TB.php

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 am 
I had a nice conversation with the owner earlier this week about the boat. It sounds like it was actually a 5.7L boat but not sure which one. I was going to go look at it in storage today but the owner called me Thursday evening and had decided to sell it to a friend that had initially expressed interest in it, which is fair. I do have to say I'm disappointed because I had lined up a nice 2009 EZ Loader 3500lb trailer with brakes, swing tongue, LED lighting, and spare tire for $1500 painted black with about zero rock chips and beautiful. It would have all been a very nice set up.

Interestingly, I worked with my local Four Winns dealer about buying a factory trailer but Four Winns replied they can no longer make trailers for that hull.

Thanks to Surface Interval and Misterfu02 for the replies and very helpful information!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 pm 

You are very welcome. Best wishes on your continued search, and Happy Holidays.