All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Really??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:56 am 
Just-N-Paradise

:evil:

Post subject: Re: Really??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:58 am 
Just-N-Paradise

Filled up in California...I feel sorry for you west coast guys that deal with this every day

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 am 
Just-N-Paradise

Maybe they ahd the right idea all along!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 am 
230 Mike

From across the street...

"A fairly high ranking oil exec for Conoco -Phillips told me last week that there are hundreds of oil tankers sitting in ports with no where to unload their oil. All storage tanks are full..."

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

$4.43 does not seem too out of line for California. What I mean is the cost for fuel is F*N ridiculous, but I have not seen pricing below $4.60 in weeks.

La Habra, California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 pm 
Just-N-Paradise

God forbid the day when Texans can say 4.43 is "cheap". I filled the truck and boat this weekend for 3.89 with my 3 cents off at Wal Mart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 pm 

Still cheap compared to the $5.27 we have at the pumps here. That's down from $5.40 earlier this week.

Just pull up to the pump and bend over please........

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm 
230 Mike

We're back to $3.96 on the street here... for now...

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 pm 

One thing about the California gas prices. They make buying gas at the marina in AZ (where I store the boat) palatable. Last week gas was only $0.25 more on the water than I regularly pay at home. (Always a bright side).

La Habra, California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:41 pm 
Dolphin

Gentlemen, don't be fooled by these crazy gas prices and the crazy environ-"mental"-istic solutions we are being flooded with by the media. Did you know that we (U.S.) have three times the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia wrapped up in oil shale (untouched)! In addition, we have large oil reservoirs underlying Alaska and off the coast of California? Problem? The deep pockets of the environmental lobbyists hindering recovery of our natural resources and limiting the number refineries stateside. Congratulations you environmentalist turds (E.T.) (E.L.F, Greenpeace etc.), you are solely responsible for the reduced oil exploration and refinery efforts in our country.....and now we are all paying for it!

Did you also know that we are the third largest oil producer in the world (and of coarse largest consumer)? I say drill in Alaska and off the Coast of California! Increase production while new technologies are being improved upon! The caribou will be fine and the rich people in Malibu will not see the oil platforms (distance+curvature of the earth...yes the earth is round). Also, as most people realize, electric cars and ethonal (spelling?) based fuels are not the answer. Sure electric hybrids are a move in the right direction, but batteries are full of heavy metals....which at some point need to be disposed of. Landfill = Groundwater concerns. Also, purely electric cars (plug in the wall type) need to get their energy from somewhere? Guess where most of this energy comes from? FOSSIL FUELS AND NUCLEAR POWER! Both of which are frowned upon by E.T.! The only truly clean forms of energy are hydroelectric, solar and wind generated. Again, once we start building more of these types of facilities.....the E.T's (Sierra Club etc.) will try and shut them down when they discovered some endangered species lives in that specific niche! I say....."survival of the fittest". Besides, I'll be damned if I ever put a sail on my boat! :evil:

Earth First...We'll mine the other planets later!

Earth First, We'll Mine the Other Planets Later

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:54 pm 

£1.20 (ca. $2.40) a litre here. Should I be be grateful the weather has been so bad I've had 4 engine hours use this season, so it's been "cheap" boating?

Somebody told me 20 years ago that the UK shut down their coal mines so that in 200 years, when alll the "cheap" oil was virtualy gone, they'd still have fossil fuel. maybe they were right!

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:50 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I took the boat to the Lake of the Ozarks over the week of the 4th. About 2hrs drive each way, and 7 days on the water! I was happy finding gas for $4.31... on the water! When I got back, and looked at my icky boat, I also looked over my gas reciepts. I spent $400 on gas in one week :shock: !!!!! I'm glad I only commute 7 miles each way, and my normal lake is only 20 miles from my house.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:35 pm 

You guys have got it made - in Australia it's currently US$6.65 a gallon.... :shock: Over $200 to fill my H190 up... they are predicting US$7.60 a gallon by the end of the year. IMHO I think we are being raped by the oil companies, and the Governments are sitting back reaping in the extra sales tax and excise $'s so there's absolutely no incentive for them to do anything about it.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 am 

I am not sure how the economics all work out between the rapers and the rapees but from the drilling contractors side - an offshore well costs 100-200% more to drill than it did only a few years back. Salaries are increasing (though not as steadily as other costs such as living :( ) in attempts to keep experianced and ageing personnell from going back to shore. Holes are getting deeper and dusters are becoming more common. Rigs are being secured for longer timeframes and are becoming harder to get by oil companies and many are going overseas where it is cheaper and less of a regulatory headache to operate.
I am inclined to agree with the scenario that the dramatic increases in what we pay is partially that oil companies do not want the skyrocking costs of operations to come out of thier pocket. Partially that they can charge what they do and will still sell (isn't that a monopoly?). Partially that government is pointing fingers elsewhere but happily supporting the raping as it is sweetly boosing the revenue in attempts to make the minimum monthly payment on the tab we ran up enjoying our standard of living.
Scocial services are mis-managed and over-extended. Skilled labor is getting scarce to non-existant and much of the old-school hard working and experianced population is retireing. Leaving many industries shorthanded with crews saturated with people that never really had to or want to work too hard. Bottom line is those that are pulling thier wieght in North American scociety are pulling the weight of many and the bills are adding up so those that can pay will pay - unless they have enough that they can afford to bail out.
So now that I am totally bummed - I'm buying a lotto ticket, going home and putting the boat in to enjoy it while I can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 am 
Dolphin

Quote:
I am inclined to agree with the scenario that the dramatic increases in what we pay is partially that oil companies do not want the skyrocking costs of operations to come out of thier pocket

Recall that "big oil" recently recorded record profits.

Save a tree eat a beaver.

Earth First, We'll Mine the Other Planets Later