www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm 
Guppy

Thinking of heading to Lake Shelbyville (IL) soon, can anyone suggest the best marina/boat launch for a Vista 268 (easy access, pier length, overnight parking for the truck and trailer)? Also, anyone have suggestions on local dining and activities? I've read about the hiking and biking trails, just looking for some actual information from fellow boaters. Are there certain areas, or parks (for hiking/biking) that are better then others?

Thanks in advance,

~Chris

2000 Four Winns Vista 268
"Happy Place"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

Camp Camfield has some awesome biking & hiking trails. My son & i just found them for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. Highly recommend.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4416102/camp-camfield

You could launch at the Bo Woods launch close to Camp Campfield right off Rt 32.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 am 

There are several of us on Lake Shelbyville. There are three Marina's on the lake but there are a number of campgrounds surrounding the lake. I think you rig is safe in any of the public access sites overnight. I am at Findlay Marina which has a launch but not an abundance of parking but it is available and you can almost always find a spot. Eagle Creek access is only a couple of miles from there and a decent launch as well. Lithia Springs is a nice marina not far from the dam but I have never launched there. TFD2001 is based there. Shoot me a PM and I can give you a cell number if you need anything.

It is a CORP lake so there is nothing other than the marinas and campgrounds on the lake itself. The campgrounds are awesome though and I've camped in a number of them since the lake was filled. TFD2001 can chime in as well. Had a number of family issues this year so getting on the lake has been harder for us but I do plan to be there this weekend. Based out of Findlay we're often overnight in Eagle Creek or Cove 5 and TFD2001 being based out of Lithia is often south but we do run across one another from time to time.

Let us know if you make it to the lake. Cross your fingers for good weather. Also get on the Lake Shelbyville Facebook page. Lot's of info and friends on there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:07 am 

If you are coming from the West I know the Shelbyville Dam West Access launch is very nice for launching a cruiser, we have a friend who launches a Rinker 270 there and has great things to say about it. Here is a video he posted with some footage of the launch https://youtu.be/vqA6YZkFTFI

For us coming from the east side of the lake(I-57) I think we are gonna try Eagle Creek next time we launch.

We really love Shelbyville as a quiet getaway, a place to find a private cove, listen to music, grill food and hang out with friends like Flyer51 and TFD2001. We have been trying to get there but the weather (rain) has been thwarting our plans consistently this year....maybe in the coming weeks or a weekend after the 4th we can finally make it down there!

Do you have a chartplotter and/or a chart for the lake? it does have a few shallow spots to look out for so it helps to have some sort of electronic guidance there

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 am 

captkevin wrote:
Camp Camfield has some awesome biking & hiking trails. My son & i just found them for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. Highly recommend.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4416102/camp-camfield

You could launch at the Bo Woods launch close to Camp Campfield right off Rt 32.

That looks like a great hike, we will have to check it out! Last time we were there we saw a large beach with playground equipment on it and were thinking it would be nice to anchor by it and let our son go play on the equipment, does anyone know about that area?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:25 pm 

Bliss believe there are a few beaches with playgrounds on the lake. On the main channel the wolf creek beach has a play area. We launch at Wilbourn & there is a beach & play ground area there.

Coming from the I57 I would probably launch at Bo Woods. Closer than driving to Eagle creek by probably 15-20 minutes. Another plus is Bo Woods is close to shopping, gas & restaurants in Sullivan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:34 am 

captkevin wrote:
Bliss believe there are a few beaches with playgrounds on the lake. On the main channel the wolf creek beach has a play area. We launch at Wilbourn & there is a beach & play ground area there.

Coming from the I57 I would probably launch at Bo Woods. Closer than driving to Eagle creek by probably 15-20 minutes. Another plus is Bo Woods is close to shopping, gas & restaurants in Sullivan.

Thanks Kevin, that does look like the best option for us especially since it still goes by Howy's gas station with the ethanol free gas! Its starting to look like a lot of the Great Lakes are a scratch this season with these crazy water levels so Shelbyville might have to be our "home" lake this season which is just fine with me! If we launch at Bo Woods we can still swing by Flyer51s slip to see if he is home on our way to our favorite anchorages :D

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:08 pm 

Make sure to let us know when you are coming down. Maybe we could meet up on the lake. We have a house near the Wilborn launch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am 

captkevin wrote:
Make sure to let us know when you are coming down. Maybe we could meet up on the lake. We have a house near the Wilborn launch.

We sure will as soon as some there is some decent weather in the forecast!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am 

Well last weekend was kind of a bust weather wise. Good at times but I was glad I was in the marina overnight when the storms came. Sunday turned out great but I had to get back home. The lake is about five foot over normal pool right now which makes the low spots a little more forgiving. A good chart or local knowledge is a must though as there are a few spots along the way where you could get in trouble if you don't know the lake.

Regarding Bo Woods launch there is an excellent storage place right next to the entrance to Bo Woods and my brother-in-law has a uni in there. I'm sure you could put your boat in there if you didn't want to tow back. Easy in and easy out as he puts his Regal 3060 in there which is in the slip now. Just another thought for you and would save you the tow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Flyer51 wrote:
Well last weekend was kind of a bust weather wise. Good at times but I was glad I was in the marina overnight when the storms came. Sunday turned out great but I had to get back home. The lake is about five foot over normal pool right now which makes the low spots a little more forgiving. A good chart or local knowledge is a must though as there are a few spots along the way where you could get in trouble if you don't know the lake.

Regarding Bo Woods launch there is an excellent storage place right next to the entrance to Bo Woods and my brother-in-law has a uni in there. I'm sure you could put your boat in there if you didn't want to tow back. Easy in and easy out as he puts his Regal 3060 in there which is in the slip now. Just another thought for you and would save you the tow.

We went out Saturday about 2:00 in the afternoon. Ended up staying out with TFD2001 and 3 other boats. Storm went through pretty fast, take out that 30 mins, it was a great afternoon/night and morning on the water.

I have been going to shelbyville for 25 years, plenty of good launches, coves and public beaches

hoping the forecast changes for this weekend

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp