www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 am 
Guppy

First boat. 2001 H230 Duoprop. Took lessons and driven a couple of boats before but Sunday was my first time taking the boat out on my own and was struggling to keep the boat flat and using trim. I found it ran best with trim all the way down but I've always expected trim to be up a quarter for plane/flattest ride. Is it the duoprop? Any advice?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Accelerate to get on plane with full down trim. At slower planing speeds you may or may not be able to trim up at all. Generally, the faster you go the more you can trim up. If you trim up too much the bow of the boat will porpoise up and down. Faster speeds allow more up trim which gives more speed yet. For example, my '95 190 Horizon would top out at about 40 with the trim full down, but I could trim up about 2/3rds of the way on the gage and pick up a good 10-12 mph and 300-400 rpm to reach redline. Loading the boat can make a big difference. With most of the weight in the stern, you may not be able to trim at all. With a bunch of weight in the bow you might be able to trim as much as you want.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

On my '08 240 (and most other FWs I've owned), start out full down trim, trimming up after you're on plane. The way the hulls are designed, they will not take very much up trim at all, before they begin to porpoise. Listen closely and you'll be able to tell the proper trim, based on the speed and sound of the boat.