www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:25 am 
Sting Ray

Hi, I'm getting ready to replace my engine hatch 2 1/2" egg crate foam for my 2006 244 FourWinns (video below). I plan on using the same type since FourWinns is still using this but, in black. I'm looking for a good adhesive that has a great heat resistance that will grab and hold up over time. I've been in contact with 3M in which they recommended their Super Trim Adhesive 08090. After searching online, I found it anywhere from $28.00 to $42.00 for a 19oz. can. Here's the kicker.... According to my application, 3M stated that the adhesive requires three coats for each surface. I'll be replacing approx. 35 sq. ft. which would require approx. 14 cans.... Costing approx. $400.00... WoW!! I also asked 3M if they had a brushable type, they stated that they didn't. Brushable would be nice for the underside of the hatch due to not having to mask so much.
Another type of installation I'm considering is the use of insulation hangers w/ clips (video below). The base of these clips with pins can be installed by using a very strong adhesive caulk. Not sure if this would be a good solution or not. I haven't come across anyone yet in any boat forums that's done this.
If you've had a good/bad experience with a certain foam adhesive and/or have installed the hanger type w/ pins & caps/clips, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Ray

Hatch also has egg crate foam on both sides which is triangular shaped (not shown) Looking on the right side panel in the video, it's shaped like that... approx. 18 x 30"
Engine Hatch
https://youtu.be/BsPzjeFCluM

YouTube Hangers w/ Dome Clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iET_yckOyuc