Goldfish

She's got game, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:11 pm 

baby got back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 pm 
Seahorse

230 Mike – Part of me wishes I would have bought…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:12 am 
268 Vista

Be patient LL. You have a boat that you and your family are enjoying, in time when the opportunity presents itself, you will have a FW that is just what you want, and it will last you for years.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I am curious if you know what company was showing the boat. I just bought my used 2003 240 Horizon from Indian Springs Marine and I think they are the Four Winns dealer there -- nice people

DaleG --- West Palm Beach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:44 pm 
Mental Floss

Dale, Who did you deal with? It scertainly wasn't Lou, must have ben Jen or his son. I can't use the name I have for Lou on this board!

I have had three encounters with Indian Rocks, here goes.

1. 1999 when we were shopping for our first boat. We choose a 205 Sundowner. I saw one in Lighthouse Point. We went to the St. Pete boat show and Indian rocks was there. asked them about a 205, they couldn't get me one until March 2000. This was October 1999. I said man that's a long time. Then I asked if they would service a Fw for me if I purchased the one in Lighthouse POint since the dealer had 2 in stock and we could begin our boating adventure. Lou said, "you don't buy if from me I wouldn't service it" Guess what, we didn't buy it from him!

2. Late 2000. we got bit by 2 footitis. We were looking for an express cruiser. Our choices, a 248 or a 268. We seen a 268 at a deasler in Orlando who service my 205 for me. we wanted to see a 248. Yes, the St. Pete boat show and Indian Rocks. I called. They said they had a 2498 at the show and forwarded me to Lou, at the show. He asked some questions. Told him I had a 205 and we were interested in a 248 or a 268 and that we had seen a 268 at another FW dealer but they didn't have a 248 to compare and I was interested in viewing the one he had. His reply: It's obvious your shopping price and aren't going to buy one from me. The boat is sold and no one can get on it to look at it. He then hung up on me. we ere meeting friends later that day at the show. we caled and told them we had no real reason to go and we would see them later. The called a couple hours later from the inside of the cabin of the 248 that was suposedly sold.

3. And the best...we were at the Tropicana boat show with friends that were going to buy a 26 - 28 ft express cruiser. Ralph wanted to see all the models. We went on all that were there including the 268 Indian Rocks had there. Ralph had is tape measure and was really going over the boats to find the most storage, biggest aft cabin, best layout. We visited the 268 a second time. as he narrowefd is choices. Finally, we ended up on the 268 and it WAS his choice. As we were sitting in the cabin and he was discussing with his wife about what options they wanted just before they were going to approach the sales person (one of Lou's daughters) Lou pokes his head in the cabin and tells us we are spending too much time on HIS boat and we need to leave. He said there was others waiting. This was Gasparilla weekend on a Saturday and the show was absolutely deserted. As we exited the cabin there was no other customer in his whole area! We left and as we walked away. I turned around walked back to him and asked him if it was his policy to ask customres to leave and what he might think FW would think of that policy. He told me with very colorful language which I can't repeat here that he owned the marina, the boat and he can do what he pleases. I and FW could kiss his posterior.

One final little item with Lou. A fellow boater in our club bought a 248 from Indian Rocks because they liked ours so much. A year later he stated, "I've had three bad experinces with things I've bought in my life and all of them the guy's name has been Lou"

I'm glad you have had a good experience and hope it continues. I for one would not give Indian Rocks a penny of my money until Lou achieves room temperature!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Last edited by jvalich on Sat May 27, 2006 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:43 am 
Seahorse

Correct Dale, You are correct. Here is another image from the 18 Feb 2006 Florida Boat Expo

JV, thanks for the insight. When/if I deal with a FW dealer in this area... your phone will ring before I go.

Capn, Of course you are 100% correct. My goal is to get 3-5 years of fun out of the current boat. I occasionally see a bigger & better boat than mine... funny how the edge comes off my yearning as soon as I am on my boat again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:09 pm 

Wow Lambert -- some dealings --

I did buy my boat there -- but it was almost entirely through Jenn -- a little with LOU -- and some with his wife Mary -- overall they were good at first -- I called back -- since I am on the other side of Florida to say I had a trim hose leaking and could their mechanic at least tell me if I had to remove the drive to access it --- (before I had a SELOC manual)
Jenn called as said they were sorry it leaked -- and yes the drive had to be removed -- and they would send me a new hose free from Volvo -- which they did.

Now since then I am waiting on the replacement of the entire dash -- under warranty from Four Winns --the vinyl is bubbling up --- and two things I ordered through them -- bow folding door and center bowrider fill-in cushion. All I have gotten from Jenn is they are working on it -- same answer for about 6 or more weeks now -- The same tune is getting old -

We will see how it goes -- I hope my little issues do not end up as bad as your experience -- maybe I should start talking to the local Four WInns dealer on this coast --but when I quoted the same door and cushion through them they were about fifty bucks more than ISM --- OH WELL - cannot win

Separate but related subject -- while the boat you have pictured is very nice -- do you go out in rougher water -- One of my issues with the "CROSS STREAM" design of the new boat is the lack of freeboard fore and aft
I specifically chose the previous horizon model because of that margin of safety on the ocean here -- when the waves kick up I want a higher stearn and bow -- the new Horizons have less there -- (also the reason I won't do a bow rider outside the intercoastal) -- in even moderate seas I have had the nose of my older 21 foot cuddy under water in a wave in a rougher inlet to the Atlantic. (same problem I had with most Cobalts --only the new 240 and 250 are really saltwater capable -- the rest are Kansas lake boats -- sorry if I insult any Cobalt person -- but having a degree in Naval Archeticture I stand by that opinion)

good luck in eventually getting a new Four Winns --

We are going out to John Pennekamp off Key Largo snorkeling this weekend --

Keep in touch --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:20 pm 
268 Vista

I agree with your assestment of Cobalt's Dale. And thankfully most people use them on smaller lakes as they were intended.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 pm 

There are a decent ammount of Cobalts in Florida --- they had a nice display at the Miami Internaitonal boat show this year --and I really like the 250 --- (but expensive and too new to find used ) I do see some in the salt around here -- I just hope those users either mainly keep them in the intercoastal -- or are experienced boaters who can handle a boat in various sea conditions --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:29 pm 
Seahorse

Did my first photo shrink because it exceeded the file size allocated for pics uploaded to this site?

I liked the bigger picture, so let me try linking it from my photo host.

... Enjoying my boat but always dreaming of the next one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:45 pm 
Seahorse

Dale,

Thanks for your input on the cross stream.
I don’t know much about the “Cross Stream Architecture”.
We haven’t gone outside Tampabay in our 18ft BLer – but that may change with the next boat.

I don’t think I will be buying one anytime soon.
It would be financially irresponsible.
We have a one-year old boat we enjoy.
This FW is more of a dream-boat.

BTW:
Love your area of Florida. I call it the side with the “real ocean”.
The wife’s grandmother has lived in Hollywood for years.
My MIL & FIL move to Hollywood last month.
I would like to trailer down sometimes – but I haven’t even trailered outside of
Tampa/St. Pete yet.

(JV knows all about my baby-steps with boating – my words not his)