www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:00 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, just finished winterizing the boat for another season, when I took the battery out I measured the voltage (11.3), seemed rather low. The boat was sitting outside in the cold weather for a few days at the marina and last time out the alternator belt broke as I was returning to the boat launch so combined, may have pushed the battery over the edge. I've put it on the Charger for about 10 hours now and it is drawing less and less current (almost at 0, started out at 6 amps) so maybe it's ok. For all I know the mechanic had the stereo going or perhaps running portable equip off of it while he was working, however, it is 5 years old, it's a AC Delco Voyager M30HMF , 900 MCA/625 CCA with the "Eye" indicator for state of charge, doesn't appear to be changing colours as it charges though.

At any rate, may have to buy another battery for next season, what are some suggestions, I read in one of the Volvo guides it should be at least 650 CCA for a 5.0 litre EFI and not a Deep Cycle. In the past I have had a few Interstate batteries and was not realy impressed, years ago I bought one from Wal-Mart, an Energizer, best battery I have had so far. For my use the battery is strictly a Starting Battery with the basic stereo as the only thing which would draw current.

The Optima's seem like a likely candidate, they have the CCA and the weight compared to the present one is about 20 lbs less.

Any comments or suggestions

As Always, Thanks in Advance

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:06 pm 
Minnow

Bruce,

I'm a big fan of Autozone (I forgot the brandname of their batteries, but the ones they sell there). They have always performed really well for me, and they have a great warranty/pro-rate program. I've actually made money the last couple of times I took a battery in there.
(The warranty/pro-rate pays for the new one, which usually is the same price or less, and they give you a recycling fee for turning in the old one. Result: I walk away with ~$10 and a brand new battery)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:30 pm 
230 Mike

If your battery is 5 years old, I'd consider it due for replacement (if not a bit overdue), regardless of how it behaves on the charger now. The way I look at it is, if you push your car battery a bit too far, you're stranded in a parking lot. If you push your boat battery a bit too far, you may have a real problem on your hands.

I've been happy so far with the dual Interstates my dealer installed, but that Autozone deal sounds pretty good!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
Mental Floss

Wally-World. the Sell their Maxx battery that is made by Johnson Controls. They offer a no prorated replacement for the first 18 months. Picked up a new Group-29 deep cycle for $64 + tax

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:24 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions, as you say, 5 years is pushing it. In fact, I actually had 2 of the AC Delco's installed during the season. The backup was suspect but would probably be good for a couple of starts if required. I'll keep the better of the 2 Delco's and purchase a new one.

I'll check out Wally World and the Canadian equivalent to Auto Zone to see what they offer. As I say, I was very happy with the last Wal-Mart battery I bought and for those familiar with Canadian Tire, sometimes they have some pretty decent deals as well.

Take Care

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:13 pm 
Shark

I thought it a bit odd, but my Four Winns dealer gets coupons from the factory to install new Interstate Megatron Deep Cycle batteries in the boats here. As he was putting it in, I said something about it being a deep cycle, but that's what FW recommended................. :?:

Post subject: Interstate!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:50 am 
The Bug Doctor

:o Use INTERSTATE if you can. They cost more but are standard EQ on Four Winns.

They are what I use in my cars and trucks! :D

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

Post subject: Re: Interstate!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:55 pm 
Mental Floss

bugsdoc1 wrote:
:o Use INTERSTATE if you can. They cost more but are standard EQ on Four Winns.

They are what I use in my cars and trucks! :D

I've had nothing but problems with Interstate. I see no reason for their adedd cost. In addition, whenever I returned one, even less than 1 yr old, it seemed I paid near full price for the replacement. IMHO, their pro-rated plan sucks.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:58 pm 
230 Mike

None of my manuals specify deep cycle batteries, and I wouldn't recommend it for normal bowrider use.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My Funship 214 has dual Interstate Deep Cycle batteries which came new with the boat from the dealer. They are circa 2002 and seem like they may be about ready to be replaced.
What's the deal with Deep Cycle batteries - why wouldn't they be recommended for bowrider use?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:07 am 
230 Mike

The reference to bowriders is because cruisers tend to spend a lot more time at anchor, running more lights & appliances for longer periods of time, etc. I think all FW dealers get coupons for Interstate. My two I'state dual purpose batts are on their 3rd season now without a problem. Cruisers tend to have one starting battery and one or more deep cycle batteries; bowriders are better off with dual purpose batteries.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:23 am 
Narwhal

I was shocked to find my FW dealer provided a Dual Purpose 'Dynamic' brand 750 CCA/120AH Lead-Acid Battery with my brand new Horizon 200. I too read the Volvo recommendation that Deep Cycle batteries NOT be used with EFI. Anyway, so far so good. Kinda nice to have the extra amp hours with the current single battery setup too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 am 
Clownfish

I have 2 *insert brand name here* batteries that came with the boat, both from '99, and since we are selling the boat, we just got one new one. It was 64.84 at wal-mart, and has a really good warranty.

Bimini Top Extension
Full Camper
Full Mooring Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 pm 
Sting Ray

I replaced my dead interstate “starting” battery with an Optima blue top duel purpose. Overall most say Optima is a good battery but a little expensive. I’m still not sure what it exactly was that sold me, but it very well could have been marketing hype. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I loved my Optima Red top I had in one of my vehicles BUT Hated my Optima Yellow top. That thing was a piece of crap. Glad to hear their Blue top is another good battery by them.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav