www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bowrider vs Cabin
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:50 pm 
Dolphin

Hi, for those of you that own bowriders or open boats of any kind - we were wondering whether shelter from the elements ever becomes a problem. In our case it would be the fierce sun of the Australian summer on kids skin - we were wondering whether it would be actually better to get a boat with a wee cabin at the front?

I've also heard that kids can get seasick riding in the cabins while underway - does anyone have any experience of this?

And (sorry for all the questions) is it practical for a kid to sneak in under the bow cover in a bowrider while underway or am I now just being stupid?

Thanks for any advice

JB

Bimini/Targa, Bow and Cockpit canvas
2000kg tandem Dunbier trailer

Tow vehicle - Nissan Pathfinder Ti

Post subject: Re: Bowrider vs Cabin
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:20 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hi JB, am also in Melbourne and have a bow rider. Have no probs with the sun as I also have a bimini which everyone sits under when the sun gets too much. I guess you could have the kids under the bow cover but I don't think that would be particularly safe - besides they have waaay too much fun hanging out in the breeze. :D

Personally I found the bowrider far more useful than a cuddy. You can fit more people on, easier to moor, easier to move around etc. - just makes for a lot more usable area.

My thoughts anyway for what they are worth!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 am 
Dolphin

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
Hi JB, am also in Melbourne and have a bow rider. Have no probs with the sun as I also have a bimini which everyone sits under when the sun gets too much. I guess you could have the kids under the bow cover but I don't think that would be particularly safe - besides they have waaay too much fun hanging out in the breeze. :D

Personally I found the bowrider far more useful than a cuddy. You can fit more people on, easier to moor, easier to move around etc. - just makes for a lot more usable area.

My thoughts anyway for what they are worth!

And very useful thoughts - thanks Alec - so much to think about.....

JB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 am 

JB

I agree with all the points mentioned by Aussie, regarding the useable space of the bowrider. I don't think there is much use to a cuddy unless you are going to overnight with it. I would suspect the sea sickness thing holds true as well. Even cruising with our convertable top on makes me feel a bit rubbery legged after we get back on shore. I don't experience that at all when the top is down. Strange but true!

Cheers

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 am 

While it is true that a bowrider has more open space and a cuddy gets HOT in the summer....the choice also depends on the water conditions that you have...if you are in an area that gets windy and there are wakes from passing boats you will feel that there are days where you are too vulnerable in a bowrider...especially one that is not self bailing with an I/O where a big wave over the bow can put a lot of water in the engine compartment. My next boat is going to be a walk around fishing style boat with an outboard for this reason...here in the Long Island Sound region an open bow style severely limits the times you can go out...anything more than 1-2 foot waves forcasted (and it's always more than what they say because of boat wakes) and I'm not going out...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:05 am 
Dolphin

LouC wrote:
While it is true that a bowrider has more open space and a cuddy gets HOT in the summer....the choice also depends on the water conditions that you have...if you are in an area that gets windy and there are wakes from passing boats you will feel that there are days where you are too vulnerable in a bowrider...especially one that is not self bailing with an I/O where a big wave over the bow can put a lot of water in the engine compartment. My next boat is going to be a walk around fishing style boat with an outboard for this reason...here in the Long Island Sound region an open bow style severely limits the times you can go out...anything more than 1-2 foot waves forcasted (and it's always more than what they say because of boat wakes) and I'm not going out...

What about if you put the bow cover on? Does that help this problem?

JB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:52 am 
Starfish

Hi James Bond,

With small children say under 8 to 10 i would go cuddy cabin and would not have it any other way. The cabin provides a safe envioment where they can store toys , colouring books etc and after a days boating or at a beach can have a comfy place to sleep on the way home. I have three children that spend most of the travel time in the cuddy have never had any seasickness in any conditions. The older children are starting to sit out in the main cockpit a bit more now, i feel a bow rider is more suitable for older children. A cuddy will offer more protection in fringe seasons in a country where you will be able to boat all year round. Also there is a change room and toilet, adds up to more hours on the water

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:40 am 
Clownfish

I am with ScottA on this one. I had an open bow, and while we had great times with it, our boating style has changed and I felt the cuddy would provide us more of the kind of use we are looking for.
We usually go out with several other boats and raft up. We, my fiance and I, were told several times a day to 'Get a room!' Well, we got one and named her 'Got A Room!' So not only will it provide the privacy we want, it will make our camping adventures much more pleasurable.
My other thought on the cuddy is that I foresee grandkids in the near future and a cuddy is a great place to get them out of the sun for a nap or a break from the party. Biminis are wonderful, I have a full one on the cuddy, but a separate area for them in the cuddy will be great for them and us. The cuddy also makes a great private changing room for newcomers or to get out of wet clothes at the end of the day.
The cuddy does everything the open bow did plus more. They do require a bit more to launch/load but I am getting better and faster with it everyday. With a few mods to suit my use I won't go back to an open bow until the younguns are in their teens, if ever.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm 
Dolphin

jf210mpd wrote:
I am with ScottA on this one. I had an open bow, and while we had great times with it, our boating style has changed and I felt the cuddy would provide us more of the kind of use we are looking for.
We usually go out with several other boats and raft up. We, my fiance and I, were told several times a day to 'Get a room!' Well, we got one and named her 'Got A Room!' So not only will it provide the privacy we want, it will make our camping adventures much more pleasurable.
My other thought on the cuddy is that I foresee grandkids in the near future and a cuddy is a great place to get them out of the sun for a nap or a break from the party. Biminis are wonderful, I have a full one on the cuddy, but a separate area for them in the cuddy will be great for them and us. The cuddy also makes a great private changing room for newcomers or to get out of wet clothes at the end of the day.
The cuddy does everything the open bow did plus more. They do require a bit more to launch/load but I am getting better and faster with it everyday. With a few mods to suit my use I won't go back to an open bow until the younguns are in their teens, if ever.

Joe

mmmm thanks for the advice both of you. I rather suspected that this was the case, my children are 5 (I have a pair of them) and I was rather thinking that the Bowrider would be a bit exposed for a day on the water.

I'll start having a look at cuddies, while not ruling the bowrider out quite yet.

Will let you know how I get on......

JB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm 

What about if you put the bow cover on? Does that help this problem?

JB[/quote]
Well it can help but if you get enough water over the bow and the weight of the water can cave it in...possibly ripping the snaps off...
I've been in some conditions (starting out 1-2 ft waves...bigger boats kick up wakes...it goes to 3-4 easily...or wind against tide...very dangerous) that made me decide no more open bows for me...if the engine were to cut out at just the wrong time...you could be truely SOL......and making an SOS call!!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 pm 

OUr first two boats were bow riders and now have a cuddy. Main reason we wnt to the cuddy was for a place for our kids to take a nap if we are out during there nap time. And yes they have taking there naps in there. Nice to have them out of the sun also if we are out a while. My oldest is 2 1/2 and he likes to play in there and its nice to know there is not the possibility of him falling out of the boat. On the other hand you can fit more people in a open bow, but we always found the more people we have on board the more cramped the boat felt. A lot of the people we boat with have there own boats anyway now so not a big problem anymore.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 pm 

I had the same struggle. My son is 3. The dealer pointed out that they won't take naps for very long, meaning that in another year, it won't be a problem. We thought that would be true, and got the open bow. There were a couple times last year where we put the bow cover on and he slept in there a bit. But, it gets hot quickly, and it's hard to get a breeze going in there. FW has an option for a longer bimini top, and I've thought about that one as an option. I've also considered getting a custom cover made that pops up higher in the middle, like a pup tent, with vents front and back.

To us, the open bow weighs less, so easier to tow, and it gives more overall usable space. We decided that we should pick the boat based on how we'd use it most often, not based on the potential for an hour nap. As someone else said, you can get shade from the bimini if you want.

Now the other comments about doing "private" things without the cuddy... well that's another consideration all together. :shock: Not sure what I was thinking, but it didn't really occur to me. When that opportunity arises, it's going to be after dark, or I'll find a private place. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm 
Dolphin

Sounder wrote:
I had the same struggle. My son is 3. The dealer pointed out that they won't take naps for very long, meaning that in another year, it won't be a problem. We thought that would be true, and got the open bow. There were a couple times last year where we put the bow cover on and he slept in there a bit. But, it gets hot quickly, and it's hard to get a breeze going in there. FW has an option for a longer bimini top, and I've thought about that one as an option. I've also considered getting a custom cover made that pops up higher in the middle, like a pup tent, with vents front and back.

To us, the open bow weighs less, so easier to tow, and it gives more overall usable space. We decided that we should pick the boat based on how we'd use it most often, not based on the potential for an hour nap. As someone else said, you can get shade from the bimini if you want.

Now the other comments about doing "private" things without the cuddy... well that's another consideration all together. :shock: Not sure what I was thinking, but it didn't really occur to me. When that opportunity arises, it's going to be after dark, or I'll find a private place. :lol:

Sounder, thanks, that's great advice. We have twin 5-year olds, one of whom still loves her naps. I've been poking around the various boats available where I live, and I just don't like anything as much as the Four Winns, it seems to be a very nice boat for the price bracket. Cuddies available in the same price bracket seem to have an "unfinished" look to them, with such delightful features as removal bench seats which seem to drift round the cabin like an afterthought.

I'm still sold on the H180LE, and it's great to hear everyone's opinions.

Thanks for posting.

JB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 am 
life to the full

I would still go for the open bow for its overall usefullness.With small children they can get shelter under the bimini and where I boat it is a must, it gets very hot at Morgan in the summer. If you are concerned about bad weather and copping a wave over the front, I think the bow cover will shed most of the wave anyway, UNLESS, you are doing something REALLY, REALLLY, stupid. Best advice here is if the weather forcast is dodgy stay home and go out on another day with nice weather( it is by far more enjoyable anyway). The other thing to remember is the Kids wont be 5years old forever, and the bowriders are very user freindly. If you want to speak to me PM me your phone number and I will call you and give you a run down on my experience
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 pm 
Dolphin

ardy wrote:
I would still go for the open bow for its overall usefullness.With small children they can get shelter under the bimini and where I boat it is a must, it gets very hot at Morgan in the summer. If you are concerned about bad weather and copping a wave over the front, I think the bow cover will shed most of the wave anyway, UNLESS, you are doing something REALLY, REALLLY, stupid. Best advice here is if the weather forcast is dodgy stay home and go out on another day with nice weather( it is by far more enjoyable anyway). The other thing to remember is the Kids wont be 5years old forever, and the bowriders are very user freindly. If you want to speak to me PM me your phone number and I will call you and give you a run down on my experience
Hope this helps

Hi Ardy, thanks, that's a very kind offer.

Do you do most of your boating on the Murray or off the coast of SA?

I'll PM you.

JB