www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a 2003 268 with 110 hours on it. When I bought the boat it had 60 hours on it. I took it to a reputable marina prior to using it and had it gone over. The boat ran great. I had it winterized and summerized by the same marina and the mecahanic said it ran well this spring. On our first trip out the boat stalled and would not run past 3000 rpm's. We also heard a whining noise coming from the motor. Took it to the Marina and they spent a long time trying to fix the problem. They suspected it may have been the fuel pump but checked everything first, as the Volvo fuel pump is expensive. They tested my gas and found that it was full of water. They removed a 12 oz sample for me and a third of it was water. They drained my tank and replaced the fuel pump. My repair bill was $1247.00

I contacted the Gas Station where I purchased the gas and was reffered to their corporate office to file a complaint. THEY ADMITTED PROBLEMS IN THE PAST! Now I have to prove that I purchase the gas from them, which I can, and they will investigate my claim. As of last night they were still selling gas from the same pump. I know you will think I am stupid for purchasing gas from a WalMart but that is the only station close to me where I can pull the rig into. I am 54' long with the truck and the boat. I will never purchase anything from them again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am 

I buy mine for a Tom Thumb food store dont feel bad, most of the standard gas staions are to small for our rigs.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm 

Not only is selling gas made up of 1/3 water bad for your motor, its a rip off! You only got 2/3 of what you paid for, and trust me, water isn't $3 or more a gallon. Don't feel about where you buy the gas, I put Wal-Mart (Murphy Oil) gas in my work truck all the time and never had a problem. As stated above....when it comes to the boat, the ability to get your rig in and out usually takes priority... cause if you can't get in and out, it doesn't matter really what the brand and/or price is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:23 am 

I agree you should not have to worry about where you purchase your gas. It should be tested for water, however the cold hard fact is that you do have to worry. I was at a graduation party last night and learned of the same problem from an individual who purchased fuel at the same place. He had serious damage to his new truck.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with this. I will not hold my breath waiting for reimbursement from Murphy Oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 am 
Narwhal

In my aviation days, as part of every pre-flight, we'd pull fuel samples from each tank and check for contaminants. I wonder if you can't do the same - at Walmart. Just pour some fuel directly from their pump into a clear plastic container. I doubt they are taking your complaint seriously enough to purge and refill an underground tank, so there should be plenty of opportunity to catch them red handed. I believe that there's also contact info for the state agency responsible for inspections posted right on the pumps, you could give them a call, or failing that call a local tv or newspaper's tip line. Walmart is very much a news target around here, I imagine a news agancy would have some real fun with the watered down gas story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 am 

That's horrible for sure....i for sure would be a squeeky wheel so to speak and call them daily and make notes about everything you are told. You also do not have to wait on stall tactics either.....If it twer me I would give them 30 days to make reimbursement, present them with the repair bill, draft a short affidavit for the marine mechanic concerning his findings and your documention of the fuel purchase and present it to them....once that time period passes with no resolution i would pay my $ 25 filing fee in small claims Court. Don't forget to add the cost of the fuel to your bill!!!

At least that way you and the local Constable can have a shopping spree / fyi, locally they seize about 10 times the value of the judgment for auction:)

Hey - I by mine at Kroger for the same reasons as you posted.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 am 

Winns when was the gas orignally purchased that was in the tank? Was the gas that was in the tank over the winter treated? This Ethanol gas begins to break down fast. Here's some Google research:

Water in E-10 fuel is another problem that boaters must deal with. The introduction of water on E-10 fuel can be disasterous. E-10 can hold up to four teaspoons of water in suspension per gallon. Once this saturation point is exceeded, the solution separates and the gas floats on top while the ethanol and water mix on the bottom. This event is called "phase separation". Ethanol fuel can absorb enough water to reach it's phase separation point in just over 3 months at 70% humidity.

While the phase separation slurry in itself can cause problems by clogging fuel systems, the more immediate problem is that the remaining gasoline has now lost it's original octane value which can cause poor running and in some cases engine damage. When phase separation occurs, the fuel should be drained and replaced.

Fuel storage and winterization has to be handled differently when using E-10 fuels. Manufacturers are warning that fuels need to be stabilized if un-used for as little as 2 weeks. Not all stabilizers are known to be E-10 compatible. Non-alcohol based fuel stabilizer additives are a must for ethanol fuel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:26 am 

That stinks. At least you know the cause of it and can hopefully get recourse. I wouldn't wait to long, it sounds to me as if you'll have to take them to small claims court.

I only fill up the boat at the Casey's down the street. Fast pumps, very easy to pull in, and a small company. I have only seen "Casey's" fuel trucks dropping fuel off there. The wife has been getting gas at walmart...and I've been telling her to avoid it. After seeing this, she's done. Saving a few cents won't be worth it in the long run...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 am 

Quote:
You only got 2/3 of what you paid for, and trust me, water isn't $3 or more a gallon
If you buy bottled water it runs about $11 a gallon. I just had to have my 6 month old golf cart carb rebuilt because the new "California EPA" carb that I was forced to buy even tho I live in TEXAS, has tiny port holes that won't pass an ants ball hair. Just another reason I believe we should get out jack hammers and help Cali fall off the US!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm 

Answers to questions:

I did not use e-gas.

There was some gas left in the boat from last year which was treated. The Marina then summerized the boat prior to me adding the new gas. The boat was started and all fluids checked. According to the mecanic it ran for some time and ran very well. I then purchased the gas and headed for the lake two days later. As soon as I took the boat off the trailer and started towards the dock it stalled. I then let it run for a while and headed for the spead zone to blow the cob webs out of her. She started to backfire and stall when I reached 3000 rpms.

As I said the mechanics checked everything prior to pulling the fuel line. When they did pull the fuel line they said it looked like the pulled a coolant line because of the amount of water that was comming out.

The interesting thing about this whole thing is that they openly admit to having problems with their fuel at some of their locations. What I can't understand is why they keep selling gas from the tank. I guess most people will not complain.

I won't let this one die. I am pretty pissed about the whole situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:37 pm 

Sorry, I didn't fully understand the situation and was asking to understand. I totally see your frustration and hope you get the results your after. What sucks so bad about stuff like this is it's probably going to eat untold amounts of your time and cause you even more frustration dealing with it, but what's right is right and I hope it works out for you with minimal grief.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 pm 
Dolphin

yup, try to stay away from ethanol. I know you didn't us e-gas, but for anyone else I think it's the devil! It's all over here in WI
:lol:

sundowner 235