www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm 
Goldfish

I'm taking the day off tomorrow so that I can get my boat out of storage and get it ready for the boating season and I need some advice. I bought my boat new in 2008 and it has the dual battery option. I have never had any problems with the batteries to this point and they have held their charges quite well over the winter, but I am thinking that I probably need to put them on a charger tomorrow seeing as how this will be the third boating season with them and I haven't ever done anything with them other than disconnect them before storing the boat for the winter months. So my question is what do you recommend that I do? Do I buy an expensive battery charger or would a battery trickle charger be more than adequate? Btw, I was down working on the boat about a month ago and had to reconnect the batteries to put the outdrive back up to put it out of the storage unit, and they did seem to have a good charge, but I just want to make sure that I don't have any issues once I get out on the water. Better safe than sorry, huh? Thanks for any and all advice!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 pm 
230 Mike

I think everyone should have a good quality charger with selectable charge rates, etc. I've got an older version of this one: http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductD ... 4026805ACP .

But I also have a 2A trickle charger that would be perfectly adequate for what you're trying to do. Just put it on one of the batteries in the morning, and around lunchtime move it to the other.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 am 
Narwhal

When doing as 230 Mike suggests keep the battery switch on A or B not Both. Although you could probably get away with using a 2 amp trickle charger with the switch on Both once in a blue moon if you're only charging overnight. Charging on both can cause an overcharging situation that can actually reduce battery life.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

+1 for Mike….
Actually I had an issue with my battery this past week. I picked up my boat from storage in early May and I was tinkering around for a few weeks …. This past weekend I noticed #1 battery was dead…. I could not figure out if I left something on but I tried to charge it up with my charger … Foe some reason the battery no longer take charge… #2 battery is still good since I always select one and both. I topped up charge on #2 batteries and charger worked no problem so the charger is not the issue. This is our 3rd season with this boat but stuff like this happens :roll: ….. I just picked up a new group 27 battery for replacement of #1 and ready to hit water this weekend.... We will see how it goes 8) ...

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:52 am 
GIDDY UP

Get a trickle like Mike said. I have one installed in the engine bay. The cord is long enough to drape outside the boat for an extension cord. It was $55. 1/2 the price of replacing one battery. WORTH IT

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Whatever

ditto above.

As for winter battery storage, remove from boat and charge/top off, once a month. This will prolong the batteries life.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:43 am 
Villiage Idiot

Another way to extend battery life is to do a deep discharge, and initially rapid re-charge, followed by a trickle charge. I do this when I remove the batt's for the season, and then again right before I re-install in the spring. They do not get charged during the winter otherwise, but are in doors. During the boating season, I have never put them on the trickle charger and have no issues.... but I also have a battery monitor on my set-up (See p.1 of "Walt's Mod's" if interested).

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am 
Whatever

Walt wrote:
Another way to extend battery life is to do a deep discharge, and initially rapid re-charge, followed by a trickle charge.

Only do this if you know the characteristics of the type of battery you have, Deep cycle, starting, ect. If one discharges below critical voltage, you can do permanent non-reversible damage.

I have friends that work at our local Interstate battery dealer, they have passed on all the do's and don'ts for long battery life.
#1 easiest thing to do, with a trickle charger, top off once a month. When they get customers to follow recommendations, these customers see 10 plus, years of service out of there batteries. Most of the battery using population is too lazy to do this simple task, and thats why they sell so many batteries!
Of course there are many things one must do to properly maintain the battery, proper acid level at all times, good connections when in use, ect.....
Hope this helps some

I am on year 8 with RV/marine battery for my 5th wheel camp trailer, Boat got new batteries 3 years ago and going strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 am 

I have an on-board charger which I leave plugged in and running all the time when the boat is in the driveway. I still have an original battery (Interstate) in use and replaced the other about 2 years ago. I'll likely replace the second battery this season.

Not too shabby for a 2002.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 am 

I use a Battery Tender Waterproof 800 International from Deltran. It is a smart charger that is designed to be left on and connected to the battery. I have one in the boat and one on my dad's vehicle. Lots of good info here:

http://batterytender.com/resources/technical-info.htm

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:09 pm 
Minnow

I'm new to the group, just bought a used 214 fun ship. Here's what I plan to do. The batteries in the boat are 3 years old, so I bought one new Sears Diehard 27 deep cycle / starting battery for this year. In two years, I'll change out the other battery. Then every two years I'll replace a battery, I see it as cheap insurance at $90.00 every two years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:33 pm 

chuckwallace wrote:
I'm new to the group, just bought a used 214 fun ship. Here's what I plan to do. The batteries in the boat are 3 years old, so I bought one new Sears Diehard 27 deep cycle / starting battery for this year. In two years, I'll change out the other battery. Then every two years I'll replace a battery, I see it as cheap insurance at $90.00 every two years.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have another Funship guy around....

Good call on the batteries.