www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:15 pm 
Dolphin

Going for a week in the thousand island area on the new york side.

Was wondering what the rules are for consuming or even having alcohol on board a cruiser?

I'm guessing drinking and driving is a no brainier but say beer and wine for diner on the hook?

Was in Florida last xmas and when we went fishing our captain told us we could drink all we wanted but he could not?

Is that the way it work in all states.

Thanks

96 sundowner 5.7 vp/sx (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I believe you will find that you can consume alcohol only while moored or docked. These are the standard regulations everywhere. Open alcohol and consumption of such is prohibited while underway by all parties on board. Also, the alcohol can not leave your boat. I know lots of guys that "hide" their beer in a coozy so they can sip while puttering but I wouldn't recommend it. They watch with binoculars from far away!

Let us know when you are going and maybe we can hook up. I'm only an hour by boat away!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:06 pm 

rolex_26_99 wrote:
Is that the way it work in all states.

Thanks

In Georgia, as long as the driver is not intoxicated (.08 or more), they can operate a boat and drink alcohol all they want. It appears New York has the same law.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:56 pm 

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
In Georgia, as long as the driver is not intoxicated (.08 or more), they can operate a boat and drink alcohol all they want. It appears New York has the same law.

Same here in Indiana, but anything over .05 is at their descretion. We actually got boarded by CG saturday night and they went over the drinking laws with us! We had lots of alchohol and were all drinking but none of us were anywhere near intoxicated so it was no big deal. I used to drink alot more when I first started boating, but after seeing all the complete idiots with total disregard for others saftey...I'll sip a beer, but do most my drinking at the dock.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 am 

The family just took the NY safe boating course a couple weeks ago. It sounded like as long as the driver is not intoxicated, anything goes.
When/where are you going ? We 'll be there Saturday for a week near Alex Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:26 am 

According to our friend who is a local policeman in Alex Bay says as long as no open alcohol beverage in under way they will not pull anyone over but the driver must be sober… (I do not know what that mean) If your boat is anchored down or tied on to the slip you are allowed to drink in your boat. However, once you stepped on the land (beach, slip or standing on the ground of shallow water) with open alcohol beverage you are subject to get citation. Many public or marina operated slips have their own rule but generally you are ok as long as you are in your boat….. We will be hanging out Lake of Isle, Picton Cove or Potter’s Beach on next few weekends so if you are in the area please look us up. Have a nice vacation at Islands.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 am 
Clownfish

I would be careful. We live in Wisconsin, but just came back from a stay in Alex Bay. We took one of the boat tours, and my husband had a long conversation with the Captain. He said that drinking on the waterway is very dangerous, unless you want to get a ticket. He told us that between the Coast Guard and Border Patrol, they watch like hawks. He said they watch with binoculars, and if the boat does not appear to have a head, and there is consuming of alcohol on board, they will stop you and issue a citation. Not sure what the citation could be for exactly, but they assume you will be urinating overboard, therefore "dumping" into the water.

I found it ironic that they are so strict, yet, one of the million dollar homes had a guy dumping his bag of grass clippings into the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:13 pm 

Quote:
and if the boat does not appear to have a head, and there is consuming of alcohol on board, they will stop you and issue a citation.

I think that is true in Canadian waters but not in NY. You just have to know where you are.
I guess you don't need a head if you're only drinking pop and water. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:14 pm 

Quote:
they are so strict

We have been boating on 1000 islands for more than 15 years and found local authorities such as Coast Guard, Marine Police and Border Patrol to be very reasonable unless you make stupid moves… Please keep in mind that there are a lot of Hot Shot boaters out there and keep local authorities very busy. They save many lives and protect our boarder…. If you are normal boater then you have nothing to wary about and just enjoy the vacation. However, If you are planning to misbehave then it could be a different story…
See you on water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:53 pm 

In Australia, it's exaactly the same as for driving a car 0.05. They do random stops and breath testing, and if you are over you get booked and mandatory loss of licence. I don't have a problem with this at it keeps the idiots off the water and my family safe!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport