www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 am 
wkearney99

So if you're going to be removing it seasonally then I'd go with the suggestion of getting a mooring ball (or two) and use that for a spring line on the side opposite the dock.

If you remove the dock, how do you anchor it well enough during the season to keep it from moving? Just by the weight of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 am 
Forty six and Two

The "new" dock is 24' long with 8' sections the first section is anchored to a concrete pad on the shore, at the end of that are 2 4x4 posts with a flat brace between them on the bottom, this is what sits on the bottom. On top of that I will stack milk crates full of rocks, each section of dock after that will have more 4x4 posts and the rocks. The bottom of the posts are also pointed so they dig into the sandy bottom. The previous dock I am replacing did not have the rocks and would hold a good size boat until the tree fell on it a few years ago. I am technically "replacing" the old dock....thats my story and Im sticking too it.

We also have a floating dock that is anchored at the shore with concrete, the first section it 12' long with fixed posts then a 10' ramp to a 10x12 floating deck this only has a 5gallon bucket filled with concrete and a bungee chord to allow it to move up and down....its never torn loose so Im thinking my new dock should work okay......

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:21 am 
Seahorse

I agree with Giacammo. Fire hose around the perimeter of my dock has worked wonders. I never worry about leaving the place for the week and coming back and my baby being all dinged up. We get some KILLER storms here in the western part of ky, and never had a problem yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 am 
Forty six and Two

Update - Well I installed the dock yesterday, I did not have my camera but will post pictures next weekend. It took all day as I did it alone. The dock is 3'x24', there is four sets of legs. Starting at the shore side the first two sets of legs have pipe driven into the sand as this part will be permanant and not be removed. the middle section has a pair of legs with 160 lbs of concrete to hold it in place - these blocks I made to fit and can be removed to remove the dock. The last section is in about 50 inches of water and has almost 400lbs of ballast to keep it from moving. all in all i think it should stay in place. I used 20' the P shapped stuff from west marine, seems okay. We will be getting our boat next weekend, if i forgot anything please advise - we do ahve kleats as well thru bolted to the dock stringers and thru bolted to the kleats as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:00 am 
Forty six and Two

Update. Turns out there wasnt enough water to float the boat with a good margin so I added another 8' of dock to the end... Much better. the dock is now 32' long three feet wide with almost 1000' of hold in place ballast.