www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:31 am 
ShanMan

Our new Vista will be our first boat we'll wet slip. Since I'm unfamiliar with the process, I have a few questions.

What's to keep someone from boarding your boat when you're not there? How do you secure it or keep people off?

How do you secure your boat to the slip? What's to keep someone from untying the mooring lines and towing it away?

I noticed most boats back in. It seems like it would be easier to back out?

I assume there is dock/slip etiquette? We checked our future slip and the "neighbors" had coolers and stuff on either side. Bad form?

I noticed most boats used four lines and few used bumpers. What's to keep the boat from smashing around and hitting things without bumpers?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:10 am 
email admin your custom rank

Alright, I am no expert here, but as of 2 days ago, I am in the same boat as you are (uh, no pun intended).

I asked my brother (who has years of experience wet-slipping his boat) a few of the same questions, and his advice was as follows:

- use bumpers on both sides of the boat. This will help protect both you and your slip neighbor (assuming it is 2 boats per slip) from those "windy day dockings gone wrong", and give you lots of protection from the docks.

-bow in is definately easier then bow out for docking manuvers. I found this out the hard way on sunday morning, for my first docking experience with our new 180 horizon while trying to back it in. Fortunately we do not have any battle scars to show, but needless to say the boat is now bow in. I guess this is a personal preference.

-Unfortunately there is no way of keeping someone off your boat, nor is there a good way that I have found to keep people from untying and pulling your boat. As my brother said, "there is a whole marina full of boats here, they all have and need the same equipement, so hopefully if someone goes through the marina with bad intentions, it isn't your boat that gets hit". My thought was to keep things out of site out of mind, and that is why I have the cockpit cover on at the marina, to keep the contents out of site.

I hope this helps. Lets hope that this will be a good experience for both of us! Oh yeah, and I did go and check the boat after leaving it there for just one night. Separation anxiety I tell ya! Heck, I'll probably go back tonight too.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:28 am 

ShanMan,

How do you keep people off the boat? If there is no "dock security" on site, you don't. So, take your ignition key with you and lock your glove box (if you keep stuff in it you actually want) and all of your other lockable areas. Take all valuable equipment or gear with you when you go (or trust your locks-your call). I trailer my boats for the most part, and will continue to do so, but there are several weekends where I'll rent a slip for Friday and Saturday night. When I do that, I follow the rule that I expect people to snoop around and take anything they see that looks good. Therefore, I don't give them that chance. If they can tow the boat, somehow get it on a trailer that fits it, and get it out of the water then I'll talk to my insurance agent about that problem. Along those lines, I always keep a pretty good list of my equipment somewhere other than the boat. Learned that lesson when a buddy of mine had his bass boat "cleaned out" while he was gone for a week. They got all of his tackle, rods/reels, trolling motor-everything. He didn't have a good list, and so he didn't get fully compensated by insurance. My insurance agent recommended a 5-10 minute video of the outside and inside if you have the means, that way you can open all hatches and everything to document equipment and gear easily. Then store the tape somewhere safe.

Securing/mooring: Nothing will stop people from cutting or untying your lines, so I don't know what to tell you there. People who don't use bumpers and use 4 lines are depending on each line's tautness to keep the boat from ever hitting the dock. If you get the proper length lines, you can do that pretty easily. Only potential problem is if one or more of your lines breaks. I've done it both ways( a few lines on one side with bumpers and the 4 line method) to try them out. Really no preference for me. 4 line method just requires you to take 2 lines off on the same side so that you can get in the boat. It is all a matter of what you feel comfortable with in your conditions. One thing to consider is how protected your dock is from wind/weather and chop or boat wake. I've seen people next to me put out 4 lines and 4-6 bumpers on the holiday weekends or when some weather is expected. Some people avoid bumpers at all costs out of concern for the rubbing against the gel coat if there is a lot of wind or chop pushing the boat and bumpers into the dock.

Backing in seems to be more prevalent with the longer boats. This helps with boarding and debarking since the swim deck backs up to the dock. If you turned it around, and the dock isn't as long as your boat, you would have a hard time finding a place for people to board and debark as easily. Only real advantage to backing in, unless there is some kind of obstructed vision that would make it more difficult to back out. I would think it would be easier control-wise for any stern drive boat to back out in a tight area, though.

Having coolers and stuff on the dock is bad form if it blocks easy walking in any direction. Otherwise, IMHO, it is bad form in that it is asking someone to take the stuff.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 am 
Narwhal

The nice thing about slips is that you have neighbors. Get to know those neighbors, and you may find that everyone keeps an eye on each other's stuff. Sure, you can install and use battery cut off switches, steering wheel locks, or even motion detector type alarms, but the best deterent is the fellow boaters about you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:38 pm 
230 Mike

We only slip temporarily for short periods, but even in that time I've seen how careless and inconsiderate slipmates can be. Last year at Table Rock the guy next door (your stereotypical rich kid with 34' cruiser and 4 jet skis tied up, blocking the slips on both sides of him even though he only paid for one) pulled in very late one night after we had returned and gone back to our condo. He apparently didn't have enough lines to secure his boat, so he *removed* one of mine and used it on his. I didn't discover it until the following morning, and he was not at his boat then. I noticed his boat was *full* of empty beer cans. Fortunately no damage resulted to our boat. We boated all that day and when we returned, he had checked out and there was no trace of him, his boat, or any of his other crap. He left my line in a pile next to our slip. At least he didn't leave with it. The first thing I did after that trip was to order a couple of spare lines just in case something like that happens again.

More to the original question, I see lots of boats that are tied up, and then a chain and padlock added. That wouldn't be much of a deterrent, but it's better than nothing.

I think the greater risk over the next few years is going to be gas siphoning, and that might be enough reason to back in.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:49 pm 

We had a similar situation last year. It was our first year in a slip. First get to know your neighbors, but dont always get in their business unless they ask. At my marina there is almost always someone on their boat. So there is always some kind of security. Most marinas seem to not allow stuff on the docks accept maybe a dockbox. I would check with the marina on that. Alot of of people will put fenders on the dock and attach them to the finger instead of always having to put them down when returning or pull them up while leaving. As far as pulling into the slip, I personally find it easier to back in. With some practice you will get it. I find I have less control bow in and its quite easy to hit the dock with the bow. Also for the social aspect, If thats what you like, its nice to be backed in. If you dont want to be too social, bow in gets that point across. Good luck and have fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:37 pm 
Andiamo

ShanMan14, all Great advice here so there is little for me to add, but FWIW here are a few thoughts, and some pic's of how I secure to the dock.
1) Make sure you do not have any valuables in plain sight, and make sure your insurance is paid up.
2) Unless you have an unusually long dock that even with the bow in allows you to easily board from the swim platform, definitely back it in.
3) Don't clutter up the dock with anything that will be in the way as your dockmates pass by your boat, and keep all lines, hoses, and electric cords secured and neatly out of the way so noone trips over them.
4) I use lines and fenders. Lines do stretch and the fender is a good precaution. Attached are some pics of how I have mine tied up. This is the extreme that I use for times when they are calling for high winds. IF calm, I do not secure the 2nd bow line on the port side, and I do not secure the starboard spring line. I know that posting these pics will expose me to extreme scrutiny but bring it on. Seriously, If a criticism of my practices helps me to find a better way, then let it be. Here Goes! And NO, I do not wear both a belt and suspenders:

That was hard work, time for some Vino! Cent Anni!

Now that we have had some noruishment, "Let's Go" for a cruise! "Andiamo means, Let's Go!

Hope this helps a little. If not, heck I had some fun! Ciao!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:00 am 

Wet slipping has been a great experience and you learn alot from the other boaters on the dock. Last year was our first and we really enjoyed it. Our experience is that everyone watches out for each others boats and when someone comes back into the marina, their is a line of other boaters wating to help you dock. Almost everyone backs into the slips where we are.

After about a month, I invested is a set on fenders attached to the dock and a set of lines so docking became very quick and easy.

I was worried about leaving the boat unattended during the week but everyone assured us that people don't mess with your property. As the Admiral reminded me, that's why we pay insurance. We just make sure that we keep valuables locked up and out of sight. Also, take the keys with you. After getting home, I realized that the keys were still in the ignition so I ended up driving back that night.

Also, exchange contact information with at least the dock master if not a few people around you so if something does not look right, you can let someone know or they can get ahold of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm 
wkearney99

Insurance and picking a good marina are your best security measures.

There are theft/monitoring services that track the location and other factors (batteries, bilge pumps, etc). There's, of course, a hefty monthly fee involved. There are alarm switches you can get that connect to canvas snaps. Just don't go rigging up something that'll drive your neighbors crazy, be sure your marina is aware of it (and how to silence it).

Other than mindful neighbors and decent marina personnel there's nothing that prevents anyone from stealing from it or taking it away whole. But then the same thing can be said of your house, car or other property.

If you're in single slips, and you tie your lines right, there's not much need for fenders. But if there's a lot of tidal change, waves or bad weather it can't hurt to have fenders out. It's also nice to have edging on the nearby pier to help in the event of contact.

You usually back into a slip because it's easier to get on and off the boat. Some slips don't have a finger pier that extends 'far enough' to allow boarding from the sides. That and you don't leave your anchor stabbing in toward folks walking on the piers.

I generally use six lines. Two at the bow; straight out, two crossed at the stern and two spring lines; one going forward, the other aft each from an amidships cleat. This keeps the boat well-centered in the slip regardless of tide changes. If I'm lazy and the weather's going to remain clear I sometimes omit the port side, aft running spring line as I'm not all that worried about the boat moving slightly forward out of the slip. But I never omit the starboard, forward running spring line as that keeps the swim platform from hitting the pier if the boat moves backward (I dock stern-in).

Leaving stuff on the piers is strictly verboten in most marinas. It's a hazard to pedestrians and thus a pretty significant liability risk to the marina. If your marina's lax about this you might want to point out the financial risks to them should someone injure themselves because of slipholder carelessness. Sure, it wouldn't be their fault, at least not "directly", but lawsuits tend to go after the deepest pockets. Having a policy that prohibits blocking the piers, but not enforcing it, likewise raises their contributory risk. Suffice to say, don't be an ass about it when you raise this issue. I'd phrase it more along the lines of being "worried" that someone would improperly sue you AND the marina because of the carelessness of your neighbor. Get the marina folks to recognize the risk to THEM as the motivator, not your being irritated by it.

We just got back from a 10 day boat trip through the Greek isles with a couple that keeps a sailboat in a slip diagonal to us on the same dock. We had a great time. I doubt we'd have met as many new friends if we had a trailer boat. Being at the same slip for the whole season is pretty much the same as having a house at the beach/lake. Everyone you meet is there for the fun of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:37 pm 
AGE < LOA

Great thread guys! This will also be my first time keeping a boat in the h20. I picked the slip figuring I would back in. And thanks for the nice pics! I plan to stay there on the boat during the week randomly as it's just down the street. So likely I'll be there the most and be able to keep an eye on everything. Having a license to carry doesn't hurt either :lol: Hopefully all go well; I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 am 

A license to carry!? I guess that would get the point across if you were in a "theft deterent" type situation. :wink:

I am happy to report that after a week in the H2O, no problems so far on our boat. The only thing I don't like is the bumper marks on the side of the boat. I guess there is no way around that though. :(

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 am 
2007 200 Horiz

chrisvs wrote:
A license to carry!? I guess that would get the point across if you were in a "theft deterent" type situation. :wink:

I am happy to report that after a week in the H2O, no problems so far on our boat. The only thing I don't like is the bumper marks on the side of the boat. I guess there is no way around that though. :(

I don't know if this would help and have not personally tried using these, but I saw in the Boat store yesterday covers to put over the bumpers. Something like that might help limit the marking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 am 
ShanMan

I appreciate the detailed responses in this thread so far, thanks!

We decided to not use our bumpers and I went with three lines on either side instead.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:54 pm 

I just found this interesting little device. Anybody ever used one, or have seen one used?

http://www.dockcalm.com/products.htm

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm 
wkearney99

I've never seen one in use but I'd be leery of anything that expected to make a stiff mount between the dock and a cleat. Wind and waves can put a tremendous amount of force against a boat, to say nothing of being bumped by another boat. And of course those things never happen, right?