www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Boating Lakes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I am sure there have been threads discussing this subject in the past, but none came up via the search function, so I apologize in advance if that is this case.

We are now trying to plan some of our bigger summer boat trips for 2012. We often go with friends who also have a boat to various lakes around us for 2-5 day trips, staying in either tents, state park lodges/cottages, or rental lakehouses. These are family trips, and we stay out on the water all day, and into the evening each day. We like to be able to cruise a bit, maybe ski/tube some, and do plenty of anchor and swim/relax/read/lounge/veg/play/eat/etc. We like coves, though not so much the "party" coves due to little kids being with us. At least nothing too wild. We love Lake Cumberland. We often go to Patoka Lake, and have gone frequently to Dale Hollow, Nolin, Barren River Lake, Norris, and Barkley/Kentucky Lake. Have been to Taylorsville, Green River Lake, Rough River Lake, and Monroe. We live on the northern shore of the Ohio River, in Jeffersonville, IN, which is across the river from Louisville, KY. My dream would be to boat on Lake Mead from what ive seen, but sooo far from me. What other lakes might I consider? Where do you guys recommend that may not be quite so far a tow for me? I'm not averse to trailering long distances, but its rough on family and time constraints limit me to something like no more than 6-7 hours towing at most. (Cumberland takes me 3 hours or so, and Norris 3 1/2 to 4).

Post subject: Re: Best Boating Lakes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm 
Nauti Luv

Lake Texoma (on the Texas/Oklahoma border) is decent for your needs. There are tent camping and cottages to rent (look up Eisenhower State Park). The lake has tons of sandy beaches and coves you can get into. There are some party areas, but its not overwhelming by any stretch. The lake is right at 90,000 surface acres of water.

Also, we have been to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. We did the same thing...two familes, two boats and stayed a week. We rented one big house via VRBO.com and had a blast. We stayed in the Rogers/Monte Ne area. Its a real clean lake with nice coves as well...definately not a party lake. The nice thing about this area is we took a day off from the lake and went to Eureka Springs, which is a quaint little town with shops etc...

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 pm 
268 Vista

aguyindallas wrote:
Lake Texoma (on the Texas/Oklahoma border) is decent for your needs.

Texoma would be nice, as long as he does not mind towing for 839 miles, about 14 hours non-stop.

I would guess lower Michigan, Illinois and parts of Ohio are within his 6-7 hour desired travel limit. Check out those areas too.
There is also a sweet lake in western Poland that has some great private beaches, and hidden coves. Let me know if you need
directions. :wink:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm 

We don't have a trailer for our 268 yet so I really can't add much to where you've already been. I know rotary racer has covered a ton of lakes in Michigan which is still in the 6-7hr range...
http://michiganboater.blogspot.com/

Xavid It looks like you have covered a lot of lakes here in the midwest, so I am curious about which lakes out of all the ones you mentioned you liked the most so far?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
Lake Texoma (on the Texas/Oklahoma border) is decent for your needs. There are tent camping and cottages to rent (look up Eisenhower State Park). The lake has tons of sandy beaches and coves you can get into. There are some party areas, but its not overwhelming by any stretch. The lake is right at 90,000 surface acres of water.

Also, we have been to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. We did the same thing...two familes, two boats and stayed a week. We rented one big house via VRBO.com and had a blast. We stayed in the Rogers/Monte Ne area. Its a real clean lake with nice coves as well...definately not a party lake. The nice thing about this area is we took a day off from the lake and went to Eureka Springs, which is a quaint little town with shops etc...

Sounds great, but maybe a bit far. We'll keep it in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
aguyindallas wrote:
Lake Texoma (on the Texas/Oklahoma border) is decent for your needs.

Texoma would be nice, as long as he does not mind towing for 839 miles, about 14 hours non-stop.

I would guess lower Michigan, Illinois and parts of Ohio are within his 6-7 hour desired travel limit. Check out those areas too.
There is also a sweet lake in western Poland that has some great private beaches, and hidden coves. Let me know if you need
directions. :wink:

Maybe Poland one of these years! Any specific lakes in Michigan, IL, OH you might recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:26 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
We don't have a trailer for our 268 yet so I really can't add much to where you've already been. I know rotary racer has covered a ton of lakes in Michigan which is still in the 6-7hr range...
http://michiganboater.blogspot.com/

Xavid It looks like you have covered a lot of lakes here in the midwest, so I am curious about which lakes out of all the ones you mentioned you liked the most so far?

Thanks for the link, I'll read through it.
Of the lakes we've been to, definitely Cumberland is our favorite. It is huge, deep, very clean, beautiful, and full of winding tributaries and spotted with coves. There is a branch that ends in a cool falls (crazy party cove on weekends). There are several marinas, with a good variety of restaurants/ice cream. There is never a day that is just too crowded. There are few to no houses right on the lake. It is mountainous and tree lined, with many areas with towering rocky walls. The state park lodge and cottages and camping are overall very good, and plenty of other state park activities abound. Lot of houseboats there, which are kinda neat to look at, and never get in the way.
We go to Patoka a lot because its close. Usually day trips. Also not dotted with houses, and a pretty big lake.
Green River Lake we like because it is a lot like Cumberland (just smaller). Norris Lake in TN is excellent, but a little too river-like/narrow and not much in the way of coves. Also seems crowded every time we've been, and since it is further than Cumberland, there is little reason to go back often.
We dont put in the Ohio River much even though is takes less than 10 minutes to get to a launch ramp. It is often full of debris, logs, etc. and frequently is kinda rough. When the water level is down and it is cleaner it can be a lot of fun to cruise and float. I'd like to one day cruise up to Madison, IN and stay overnight there and return. It is a quaint river town some 35-40 miles upriver from us. (If anyone has made this trip I'd love to hear from you) It may be too far for us in our 250, and certainly painfull to pay for the gas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm 
french 829

We have slowly migrated south. We started on Cumberland, then moved to Laurel (in Corbin), and now we keep our boat at Norris. Our friends love Norris--so that is where we go. I do like having many marinas and resturants and we rent a floating house for a week every year.

Laurel is very nice if you want a smaller lake. Very clean and typically not too busy. It is in a state park--so no resturants, but it is very beautiful.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm 

Thanks for posting the link to my blog....man I need to get that updated.

Come to Michigan. The further North you go in Michigan the better it gets. Of course that pushes you limit of 6-7 hours. I wouldn't consider coming to Michigan for any Inland lakes south of Cadillac....really until you get up to Houghton/Higgins it probably wouldn't be worth the drive. If you make it that far, you really should keep going a little further for the really good stuff.

If you want to have access to the big lake (Michigan) any of the towns along the shore are worth a stop if not an extended stay.

Charlevoix
Torch
Burt
Mullet
Les Cheneaux Islands on Lake Huron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:33 pm 
230 Mike

Two words: Table Rock (southern Missouri, Branson area).

Far enough from you to feel like you've boated "someplace new" without going halfway across the country (I'd love to go to Meade and Powell too :D ). Not quite as far as Beaver.

Huge, clear, 200' deep, rock bottom, and more coves than you can imagine. Boating HEAVEN. Reservations have to be made early in the season. In some cases, they will already be booked for 2012. If you want to be in the middle of the chaos that is Branson, etc., you'd want to stay around Indian Point. We prefer more isolation and calmer waters, so we stay around Kimberling City.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm 

Texoma????? - I am South of Houston and my usual lake is Somerville and occasional Travis trip. Both are way low and need a ton of water, so next year i will tow farther to get to good water.....either Texoma or Arkansas. Conroe is too full of idiots to be honest.....people who either dont know or don't care about safety.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 pm 

french829 wrote:
We have slowly migrated south. We started on Cumberland, then moved to Laurel (in Corbin), and now we keep our boat at Norris. Our friends love Norris--so that is where we go. I do like having many marinas and resturants and we rent a floating house for a week every year.

Laurel is very nice if you want a smaller lake. Very clean and typically not too busy. It is in a state park--so no resturants, but it is very beautiful.

We've talked Laurel alot, maybe we'll try there. Where to stay? In Corbin itself? Or at the state park?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 pm 

Rotary Racer, is my H250 suitable for safe boating in Lake Michigan? Can't it get pretty rough real quick? I am used to calm lake waters. Swells greater than 3 feet would make me anxious. I must say I have always wanted to take my boat out on one of the great lakes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 pm 

Mike, Table Rock sounds ideal for us. Unfortunately it is 522 miles from here. That would take me more than 9 hours driving straight thru. With bathroom breaks, gas stops, meals, it would take more like 11 hours. Long haul for me pulling 6500 lbs. I'll look into maybe a week off work for such a trip. Do you rent a house or lodge/ hotel or other?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am 
Nauti Luv

TX H210SS wrote:
Texoma????? - I am South of Houston and my usual lake is Somerville and occasional Travis trip. Both are way low and need a ton of water, so next year i will tow farther to get to good water.....either Texoma or Arkansas. Conroe is too full of idiots to be honest.....people who either dont know or don't care about safety.

Come to Lake Lewisville....we're only 7 feet down right now.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4