www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:36 am 
email admin your custom rank

These are the cadillac of boat shoes and usually go for $170. I have been watching the price come down but never saw it this low ($84.90 and free shipping). I pulled the trigger this morning and hope there is no gimmick.

http://www.endless.com/dp/B000EP6QX6/re ... B000EP6QX6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 am 

One thing I learned about Sperry. The first week or two of ownership will be miserable and you'll think they are the most uncomfortable things ever made. Then something magical happens..... after they "break in" they feel like you're walking on clouds. That's a good price! I just paid $65 for some top slider sandals.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:54 am 

ric wrote:
One thing I learned about Sperry. The first week or two of ownership will be miserable and you'll think they are the most uncomfortable things ever made.

You're right when it comes to the break-in period of Sperry's original boat shoe but according to the raving reviews of the Two-Eyed Gold Cup, there is no break-in period. I have never owned (or could afford) the Gold Cups so I guess I am about to find out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
ric wrote:
One thing I learned about Sperry. The first week or two of ownership will be miserable and you'll think they are the most uncomfortable things ever made.

You're right when it comes to the break-in period of Sperry's original boat shoe but according to the raving reviews of the Two-Eyed Gold Cup, there is no break-in period. I have never owned (or could afford) the Gold Cups so I guess I am about to find out.

I guess the higher price for Gold Cups is for some little chinese kid to walk around in them for a week, so we don't have to.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 pm 

ric wrote:
298VISTA2000 wrote:
ric wrote:
I guess the higher price for Gold Cups is for some little chinese kid to walk around in them for a week, so we don't have to.

You're right again. Made in China. Can you believe it? Sprerry used to be the symbol of all-Americana since the 1920's. Sad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks. Just ordered me a pair. That is a whale of a price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 pm 
Shark

Gold Cup Antique Brown for $76.50 + free shipping....

http://www.6pm.com/sperry-top-sider-gol ... ique-brown

2007 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 4x4

Previous:
2002 Four Winns H200
5.0GXI 270HP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:08 pm 

scotchwater wrote:
Gold Cup Antique Brown for $76.50+ free shipping....

http://www.6pm.com/sperry-top-sider-gol ... ique-brown

That is the price for antique-brown. Amaretto is what I wanted and, unfortunately, more expensive. That is still heck of a price for any of the Gold Cups though. Sperry must have just started to tap into the cheap labor in China because I don't recall their prices ever being this low. I am originating a loan for a retired U.S. civil servant (military and gov't) and he and his wife gross over $8,000 per month between his pensions and their social security income. Sperry was probably paying some U.S. union worker $40 to $50 a hour to make these shoes prior to going overseas. I guess it is either this or end up like Greece.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:20 pm 
wkearney99

If you're going to spend that much, get a better shoe. Get the Allen Edmonds Eastport model.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1

I've got at least 9 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. I practically won't wear any others unless they don't have a style that works. I've had to get a couple of Sperry's for kicking around in dirt and such, but that's about it.

I think I've got 5 pairs of the Eastport alone. Two pair get left on the boat; one's a beat-to-hell pair suitable for cleaning and bilge work. The other are my 'boat only' shoes, to avoid any street grime. During warmer weather I've got two pair that get rotated (one blue, one brown). They no longer make the blue colored ones, unfortunately. Good thing I've got two pair.

I've also used their recrafting service several times and it's amazing. Provided you haven't utterly destroyed the upper (re: bilge shoes above) they send you back a pair that are nearly indistinguishable from new. I have an extra pair ready to go while any of the others are out getting recrafted.

They're terrifically comfortable, lightweight (compared to others), break-in very nicely and last quite a while. And they survive getting wet. They dry out quickly and look absolutely no worse for it. I can wear 'em all day long and feel no difference taking them off. Compared to other shoes where you really feel better for taking them off. Like the Sperry's, they're a good bit heavier (but not as horrible as Timberland junk) and I'm glad to get 'em off at the end of the day. The Eastports, I just don't mind still having 'em on.

Yes, you could say I like their shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:06 pm 
230 Mike

I've never had a good pair of Sperrys, but I've had a couple of lesser pairs (years ago) and honestly they felt like I had boards strapped to my feet.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm 

UPDATE 02/28/12: OP here. I recieved my Sperry Two-Eye Gold Cup Boat Shoes this afternoon (ordered them on Friday 2/24 with free shipping) and very satisfied with the look and quailty of the shoe. I won't know how they feel until spring because I only wear them with shorts. I just wanted to report back and let you know that this is no gimmick given the very low price (other than some overworked and underpaid Chinese soul made them).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 pm 
Clownfish

Just received my pair yesterday. Absolutely great. Looks, feel and construction are great. Wish I had ordered two pair instead of one. Now they don't have my wide size.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:40 pm 

Admiral Kearney - I have to hand it to you!

You come in: Like. A. BOSS.

And explain to us sperry & timberland wearing yahoos what a real boating man wears!

Not only that you completely shame us by pointing out you have a pair of "boat only" shoes.

All we can do is grovel at your (well-covered) feet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm 
wkearney99

Yeah, well, ya haul my size around all damn day and you really learn to appreciate good shoes.

I only have the boat ones because I hate cleaning street grime off the deck. It's laziness, really.

I'm half-tempted to go waste an hour making a 'shop of one of the 4chan 'like a boss' mascot characters with a captains hat...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm 

To wkearney99:
I have been wearing Sperry Topsiders for 45 years but I clicked on the link in your post and was ready to buy the was ready to buy the Eastport. Then I clicked on the customer comments and the first one was the below:
"I have purchased over 30 pairs of Allen Edmond shoes over the years, and this is the only type of shoe that Allen Edmonds makes in which I have been disappointed. Under the tongue, the edge of the leather presses on the foot and the lining inside the shoe bunches up. The shoe that was made 6 or 7 years ago was much superior to the newer boat shoes. It just appears that corners were cut on this particular shoe. My suggestion, go back to the original shoe design."

The older posts were more positive, the most recent comments were complaints. I wonder if they have cheapened the shoe and you are praising a shoe they no longer make but is being sold under the same name? I have had that experience with Lands End products. The shirts and socks I bought 5 or 10 years ago are better quality than my most recent purchases. When did you purchase the most recent Eastport?