www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I am looking to buy a chartplotter/fishfinder combo and have looked online for many different models, etc. I am looking to spend around $400 for it, and then got a deal in my email from West Marine and the Lowrance Elite-5 DSI with Navionics Gold. Does anyone have any experience with this or other similar Lowrance units? I am also looking at the Garmin 4" units, the 421, 441, 521, 541...Any feedback is appreciated.

-John

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=750071&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50164&classNum=50165#.UXsdFrWG1Z4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm 

I had one and in 2 months sold it and went back to Garmin. The DSI would not work as pics in there web site.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 am 

Paul I. wrote:
I had one and in 2 months sold it and went back to Garmin. The DSI would not work as pics in there web site.

I have heard the same thing about the DSI. The salesman talked me out of a DSI model when I purchased a Mark 4. Check out the reviews on bassproshops.com or any other site for that matter before you purchase you may be disappointed if and when you get it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 pm 

I checked out some sites and there are mixed reviews. I guess something else will come along. Seems that the combos aren't all they are cracked up to be...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm 
Goldfish

I decided on a Hummingbird instead of a Lowrance a few years back. The reason I did was because at the time Lowrance could not spit screen DSI with the fish finder and the Hummingbird could.

The technology may have changed since then. (2 years ago)

I have found that the Hummingbird DI (Down Imaging) models DO perform as advertised.

I have a cheaper model but the 698ci HD SI combo looks pretty bad ass.

P.S. Pay the extra for a color screen, it is totally worth it.

South Hadley, MA
Connecticut River Rat for life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:28 pm 

john55c wrote:
I checked out some sites and there are mixed reviews. I guess something else will come along. Seems that the combos aren't all they are cracked up to be...

On the Garmin side, the combo units work as good as anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:18 pm 

I have an Elite 5 DSI- but I'm not a fisherman. I bought it because the reviews were decent, and I wanted an economical depth finder / chart plotter. I believe I picked it up at Gander Mountain on sale for around $300. Had to add another $20-30 in an extension cable for the transducer (cable in box is only 20 ft) and the patch cable to run the GPS coordinates to my VHF.
I do agree that the images on their literature are misleading. I've never seen "picture like" images of fish, weeds, etc. like they show. That said it does scan the bottom well, and has alot of options for imaging eg. different colors, shading, etc.
It can split screen between the fish finder and chartplotter in numerous ways. Has nice features like an anchor alarm, depth alarm. You can also set-up your display in numerous ways (always on depth, speed, water temp).
Bottom line for me is that it performs all the functions I need, at the best price possible.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am 

I ended up buying this unit and got a good deal last year at WestMarine. It works well, but entering in waypoints, etc take time and the operating system is a little clunky. It came with the extra charts from Navionics, which is great. Overall, I have been happy with it except have not been able to wire the NMEA 0183 to the radio. I followed both directions and it doesn't link up correctly. It's on my list of things to do, but...haven't gotten to it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am 

0183 is basicly a 3 wire hook up, Common, date in & data out. What I have seen is boaters get confused with the lables on the two units being connected. Make sure that 0183 it turned on, on both units.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am 

Also, make sure the data in/out are reversed on each unit (data in from GPS unit goes to data out on radio, and visa-versa).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 am 
Minnow

Check that the data speed rates are the same for both units. I had to go dumb down the radio input before it saw the output from my GPS. Granted, the GPS is an old handheld but I was able to get them talking by selecting the lowest setting on the radio.

I have been considering the Elite-7 but have also been put off by the negative reviews on the unit. I guess it will come down to settling for a lower quality big screen or a better quality small screen. How easy is yours to see in the daylight? Any other issues besides the waypoint and route interface? Do you have a picture of the unit mounted?

BTW, love your boat! (I mean my boat :D )

2001 Tandem Trail-Rite Bunk Trailer

1985 Bayliner Trophy 2160 Hardtop
Volvo AQ 125b/275
1985 Tandem EZ Loader Roller Trailer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 am 

SeaTea wrote:
Check that the data speed rates are the same for both units. I had to go dumb down the radio input before it saw the output from my GPS. Granted, the GPS is an old handheld but I was able to get them talking by selecting the lowest setting on the radio.

I have been considering the Elite-7 but have also been put off by the negative reviews on the unit. I guess it will come down to settling for a lower quality big screen or a better quality small screen. How easy is yours to see in the daylight? Any other issues besides the waypoint and route interface? Do you have a picture of the unit mounted?

BTW, love your boat! (I mean my boat :D )

I want to see some pics of your boat!! It's easy to see, even with polarized sunglasses. I have it mounted above the dash, slightly to the left of center and it fits below the windshield. Most of the time, I drive standing up and can see it perfectly. Sitting down you are looking directly at it. The only time it is hard to read is with polarized lenses sitting on passenger front seat....which it doesn't really matter if you can read it or not...I have had no issues with it, although it is a little clunky to set up routes and add waypoints when compared to the ease of using navigation on streets with a smart phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 am 

I would look at the Garmin, there very bright and sunglasses are not a problem at all.

Going to P-town this weekend, see you there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am 

Paul I. wrote:
Going to P-town this weekend, see you there.

Enjoy! Our boat is on my uncle's mooring on Lewis Bay on Nantucket Sound, so we won't be on the Bay this weekend with our boat, but am holding a fundraiser on the Lobster Roll out of Sesuit Harbor in Dennis. Have a nice, safe ride!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:46 am 
Minnow

Hi John.
Thanks for letting me know about your Lowrance, I have to get some money in the bank before I can justify the new toy. As you requested, here are a few shots of the boat.

My Sister, The Model!

A Panorama of Sand Harbor.

First Launch at Tahoe!

My next project is to modify the cover to fit around the tower legs and I think I have that figured out. The projects list just never gets shorter!

2001 Tandem Trail-Rite Bunk Trailer

1985 Bayliner Trophy 2160 Hardtop
Volvo AQ 125b/275
1985 Tandem EZ Loader Roller Trailer