www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:58 am 
Clownfish

Wondering if anyone is using one of those dog ladders (that cost about $200 on Overtons, etc). If so, how well does it work??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 am 
Andiamo

IT's a TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP!!!

I'll look for a link later for a much better alternative that I just ordered myself.

Don't waste your $ on the PAws Aboard! After a weekend of total frustration, I sent the damn thing back, and luckily got a full refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

WOW thanks because I was wandering the same thing.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 am 
Andiamo

This one looks a lot more compact and makes sense to me at least from what I can gather from the website. I just ordered it and have not received it yet. The link is below:
http://www.boatingdog.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:49 am 
Clownfish

...Looking forward to your "review" .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 pm 
Clownfish

Hey Giaccamo,
Did that ladder show up? If so, what is the verdict. The website is kinda cool. I'd be curious to know if what dog is willing to use it to "enter" the water, as well as "exit".

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:14 am 
Andiamo

Actually, to my surprise it arrived last Friday which was perfect, since we left last Saturday morning for an 8 day Boat trip with the Pooch on board! We used the ramp, and it worked out pretty good for us! Here is my list of likes and dislikes:
Like:
Lightweight but strong aircraft aluminum construction, and folds up compact enough that it stows easily under the rear bench in the cockpit!

EASY, EASY to install and remove from the swim ladder

Is actually easier for People as well as Dogs to climb up out of the water, which is important, becasue most of the doggy ramps get in the way of people using the ladder!

Makes boarding the dinghy or swimming floats and getting back into the boat easier, as you can use the ramp as a seat which is a few inches into the water.

Dislikes: (Only one)
With the ramp on the bottom step which we needed to do for our pooch to be able to climb up from the water, it is a bit of a large step up from the ramp to the swim platform. Our dog is approx 55 lbs and mostly Samoyed mix which is medium sized, maybe 24" in length from shoulder to hind leg and maybe 18" high, she can make the step, but it is a stretch for her. It is almost like it needs a middle fold out step to make the transition from the ramp to the swim platform.

As I write this, we are on Day 8 of our 8 day trip and are supposed to be travelling home this moring, but the wind gusts in the LI Sound are as high as 30MPH. Since we allowed for an extra day cushion, we may hang here for the day and head home tomorrow morning when the winds are projected to be only 5mph and seas of 1' or less! Tacking an extra day on our trip isn't a bad thing either. At this point we are only approx 50 miles from home so tomorrow will be an easy trip!

Conclusion, I would highly recommend the "Load a Pup" ramp. Even for a small dog, at least it allows the pooch to get out of the water, and they can hang on the ramp until you lift them onto the swim platform. For medium to large dogs, it seems to work fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:10 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks for the great review. I hope the wind dissipates (as forecast) for your return.
A couple quick question (when you have a chance to respond)....
1. What is the distance the step is- below the ladder rung that it hangs from?
2. I'm assuming the step is set up to be a little bit below the water level. Is your dog willing to also use it for "entry" into the water (or just to get out)?

Thanks, in advance.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:12 am 
Andiamo

Hi Dave. The extra day was a good move. We came back yesterday morning, and the LI SOund was like "Glass" the whole way home.

Our dog jumps into the water from the swim platform, but the way the Load a Pup is set up, it would be a good place for the dog to enter the water if they do not like to jump from the swim platform.

I plan to go down to the boat later today to "Clean Up" from our 9 day cruising adventure. I'll measure the distance and let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:32 am 
Andiamo

Dave, I did not forget about you. Since we got back from our trip it has been crazy, and I have not been out to the boat all week. I'll measure the distance of that step this weekend.