www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drilling through transom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

`Quick question about drilling a 3/4 in hole for my transducer - what type of bit, or hole saw should I use?

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:08 pm 

I would recommend a hole saw on an arbor with a pilot drill bit or a piloted shaft. Study where you will be drilling to make sure nothing is in the way. You can use references like transom tie down rings as a reference point. Locate the hole above the water line if all possible. It may be a good idea to pilot drill the hole first. I would recommend covering the area with masking tape to mark the surface and to minimize gelcoat chipping. If you can, drill part way through from the outside and part way from the inside. This will minimize the chipping or splintering on the back side as the hole saw goes through. Use high speed and light pressure when drilling. You will have to clear the drill shavings frequently. You may need to remove the transom material from the hole so that the hole saw can continue to cut deeper. You might use a larger drill bit or break the core out with a flat screwdriver. The transom could be 2 inches thick, or so. It should be a wood core with 1/8 to 1/4 inch of fiberglass on both sides. Either use a water tight through-hull fitting or seal the hole with a silicone or other waterproof sealant. Seal the hole all the way through. A clamshell or other cover fitting is a nice touch. I also recommend using a transducer mounting board made from starboard. I attached a picture of my installation in this link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13703 A boat's electronics and transducers may be changed every so often. The mounting board may give you some flexibility for future changes. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm 

I am using a Ceacap http://www.westmarine.com/buy/t-h-marine--ceacap-conduit-bulkhead-passthru--P006_181_003_512 for the hole, and have some 3m 5200 on hand to complete the job. I need to trim my mounting plate, but should be able to take care of all this tomorrow and hook it up.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:38 am 

Use the hole saw in reverse when it makes contact with the gel coat, to create a circular groove.
This will eliminate the risk of the gel coat chipping from the saw... :wink: