www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm 
Starfish

The boat in question is a '99 245 sundowner.
It currently has a transducer right next to the drain plug and before the speedo wheel. If I were to get a new unit,I would get the ones with down and side scan and those transducers look to be pretty long "about 12 inches" so I do not think it would work in the current position. I think I would have to come out of the are where the drive is and mount more on the outer transom,but looks like its at quite a angle. I guess I would just mount the ducer as level as possible? If you gone through this on a similar boat,Let me know how it should be done,Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

ProfitOfDoom wrote:
The boat in question is a '99 245 sundowner.
It currently has a transducer right next to the drain plug and before the speedo wheel. If I were to get a new unit,I would get the ones with down and side scan and those transducers look to be pretty long "about 12 inches" so I do not think it would work in the current position. I think I would have to come out of the are where the drive is and mount more on the outer transom,but looks like its at quite a angle. I guess I would just mount the ducer as level as possible? If you gone through this on a similar boat,Let me know how it should be done,Thanks!

If by "outer transom" you mean the extended planning surfaces (extension boxes?), you definitely do not want to mound a transducer back there... too likely to have air bubbles passing under the transducer. I would definitely mount to the primary transom. Check the directions to see if there are any limitations on how close it can be to the outdrive, but that might not matter since it probably looks slightly forward.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A single engine Vee bottom boat means you have to mount the transducer(s) on one side or the other of the outdrive. The instructions recommend mounting it about 12 inches to the side of the outdrive. This means that the hull or lower unit might block the transducer signal on that side, but only up near the surface. Otherwise it works well. I posted a picture of my installation in your other thread.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon