www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simrad GO7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

is anyone running any of the Simrad displays? I am considering upgrading to a NMEA 2000 based system purely for simplicity of combining anything i want into one location. 1st reason is that I want fuel flow readings for economy. and a Lowrance LMF 200 is $150 for the display only then an additional $165 for the fuel sender and i am stuck with a small display. 2nd/3rd reasons are that my son uses the ipad mini as his car movie screen and learning games. Thus he is constantly wanting to touch the Navionics chart plotter while i am driving. This plays into an issue as Hartwell has a bunch of shallow shoals and not all are easily marked. Though you can read the water and identify most but time you go from 140ft to 7' in a couple boat lengths. Combine this with the fact that the ipad does not have a back lit display for the bright sunny days. When in a glare with my polarized glasses it can be much darker than i would prefer. So i am looking into 7" units that can mount on a ram mount to the right of my dash that will allow me to combine any number of features i desire into one. Most likely wait till the holiday sales and pick something up.

Next i am very partial to NAVIONICS maps.

SO has anyone had any experience in the simrad line of displays? and or voice options and solutions to this. thanks

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

Post subject: Re: Simrad GO7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am 

anyone using the Lowrance HDS-7 gen 2 ?

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:12 pm 

Hds-8 gen 1 here. Touch screen would be great. I put a Lowrance fuel flow sensor in this spring. It's great. It shows gph, mpg, and total fuel used on the chart plotter screen. It has shown me that best economy is not as slow as I thought. I really like the total fuel used feature when refueling.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:34 am 

Looks like a nice unit.

Just a word to the wise............ I am using a Lowance fuel flow on my 2 engines. My GPS is a Garmin and it does see the fuel flow sensors. To make a long story very short, NMEA2k is a loose standard. Meaning by mixing brands, you may or may not get the features or results that you would want. I would stay in the same brand on the network or at least as much as I could. If you need tech support, and I must say Garmin was very good about it. They can blame the other (which Lowrence did) for it not working correctly. If its the same brand, they must come up with a solution or do something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 am 

Surface Interval wrote:
Hds-8 gen 1 here. Touch screen would be great. I put a Lowrance fuel flow sensor in this spring. It's great. It shows gph, mpg, and total fuel used on the chart plotter screen. It has shown me that best economy is not as slow as I thought. I really like the total fuel used feature when refueling.
Yea these numbers are something i direly want.

Paul I. wrote:
Looks like a nice unit.

Just a word to the wise............ I am using a Lowance fuel flow on my 2 engines. My GPS is a Garmin and it does see the fuel flow sensors. To make a long story very short, NMEA2k is a loose standard. Meaning by mixing brands, you may or may not get the features or results that you would want. I would stay in the same brand on the network or at least as much as I could. If you need tech support, and I must say Garmin was very good about it. They can blame the other (which Lowrence did) for it not working correctly. If its the same brand, they must come up with a solution or do something.

The main cross polination would be with sensors and they would be lowrance. BUT the nice thing is that Lowrance and Simrad are owned and under the same parent company Navco. So i believe the lack of simrad branded sensors is purely because if yo call in they will tell you to buy the lowrance sensor. In addition as the lowrance targets the fishing guy heavily they market the sensors this way. (my opinion)

Thanks yes so far i am fairly set that this is the unit that i am going to purchase around the holiday sales. Unless something changes dramatically. it has a good interface that i like, available sensors, size, touch screen, looks, and it is priced for the features that i plan to use.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 am 

I've got a Simrad NSS7 which looks to be a similar unit, except that the NSS is both touch screen and actual buttons/knobs. Personally, if you ever travel in rough water I would not have a touch screen only device. I can count a number of times I've been out and needed the dials and buttons, no way I could keep my hand steady enough (in the rough water) to use a touch screen. And those are exactly the times you need your chart plotter the most. This year I added an iPad next to it with the Navionics charts - iPad for zoomed out wide view and NSS for close up detail. In a large lake where you just go point to point, the 7" screen alone is fine. But I found last year in Georgian Bay I really needed to see the big picture of where I was headed and also the little details of exactly where I was - the NSS7 was too small to do both effectively.
As far as hardware, the Simrad is very sunlight readable and rugged. It's not always the quickest to load screens, but then my unit is a few years old now. I use mine with an Airmar B60 transducer, a Fusion 700 radio and a couple of fuel flow senders - I think they are Garmin.
All in, I've been happy with it, loved the dials and buttons, but always wished it was a little bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 am 

so i have done 2 mock ups and i am trying to decide if i should Ram mount the plotter on the right or rebuild the dash with it flush mounted int he center. If i do it in the center then i will have to swap gauges and use a 4 in one multi and rearrange some things to make it all fit. Thoughts

potential new chart plotter location

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD