www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've got some issues with my depth finder. I believe the problem lies in the cable that connects the depth finder to the transducer. I tried installing the new cable today, but it goes through a tube from the engine compartment towards the helm, and I couldn't get it to fit in there. I was hoping to be able to tie it to the old cable, and pull it through, but the current cable is part of the wiring harness and stuck in there.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping the cable will fix my problem. I think I pinched it reinstalling my gauges last year after I put red LEDs in. Talk about a cheap mod turned expensive! If this cable doesn't fix it, I'm just going to get a new depth finder with the air and water temp built in....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm 

easiest thing to do first is to remove the dash and plug the new extention into the gauge and then lay it in your cockpit and connect it to the transducer to see if it works. 9/10 times the transducer is what goes. I don't really know the layout of your boat but all the cables run up that side so you should have access to it by removing a cushion or two.

http://www.facebook.com/twincitymarineinc
http://www.youtube.com/user/twincitymarine
http://www.twitter.com/twincitymarine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:40 am 

I'd have thought the cable for the transducer is unlikely to be part of the loom, but it probably makes it's way forward through the same tube. On the 245 of the same year, that tube that starts in the engine compartment comes up out of the floor in the space behind the dash; From there, the cables make their way to the cutout on the starboard side through which they pass into the cockpit. It's a very convoluted path with plenty of places for cables to snag up on. The cable may well have been attached to the loom after if comes out of the floor!

On the 245 there is a locker with sliding doors in the cuddy on the dash side. Is the same one present on the 225.? Removing that locker allows easy accesss to all the cables, you might be able to see what is holding back the transducer cable ( the hole cutout for the radio opens into the same cavity).

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am 

I wish you were right Graham, but it is part of the big loom. You can see the wire going into it if you pull a little bit of it out into the engine compartment. Right now I just have it snaked through the ski locker and up to the helm. It appeared to work when we put the boat in the water over the weekend, but we were not able to launch the boat and run it. Darn lake was 8' low and we couldn't get it launched. When I see that its working, I figure I'll just get the little zip tie mounts and place them out of the way in the starboard side of the boat behind the throttle and zip tie the wire to it so it can't be seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm 

It would have been too easy, wouldn't it !!

Graham