www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That's right, boys and girls. Paul is rockin' an iPhone now. Consider yourselves warned.

Over the past few years, I've had a growing desire to get a Garmin or something along those lines for use with both my little fishing boat on local lakes here in KC and on my FW for use on my home lake and for use at other MO lakes that I might frequent from time to time. I know my own lake pretty well, but I'd like to have something that will give me depths of approaching waters-especially at unfamiliar lakes like Stockton Lake, Table Rock, or Beaver Lake in Arkansaw.

There is an iNAV application for my iPhone that is downloadable for $40-50 and then the South Region map for inland lakes/waterways that would go with it is something like $3-4. I'm thinking this would be a much better way to go than purchasing a Garmin or equivalent-especially since it seems to me that buying a Garmin at this point would be repeat spending on a cost I have already paid since my iPhone has GPS capability.

Anyone have any experience with the iNAV stuff in either iPhone or Crackberry application format? Thoughts on it v. a Garmin? I'm really thinking this is the way to go. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 pm 
230 Mike

You won't get meaningful depth info from Garmin's handhelds IMO. In other words, the eTrex, GPSMap, etc., don't have good (in some cases, any) depth data, at least the last time I looked. So that might push you even more toward the iPhone solution. At least until your battery dies and you can't replace it. :lol: :|

I can save you some worry about Table Rock... except for a couple of shallow points which are pretty well marked, it's all deep all the time. :)

P.S.: Don't let this happen to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdULhkh6yeA

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 pm 

I love my iPhone 3G. Best gadget plus best PHONE i have ever owned. But I'm not sure that it makes for a good marine GPS unit. I think its ok for the occassional on-road use but I don't even like to use it as my mp3 player on the boat. Too worried about moisture, getting wet, wet hands, kinda tough to zoom in and out while driving, small screen and the thing is just too valuable to me as a phone to trash it on the water.

After having an iPhone for about 9 months my recommendation would be to get a dedicated marine GPS unit and save your iPhone. But I guess it all depends on your application. I remember awhile back Garmin made a pretty nice Quest 2 that would be a low cost alternative that was water proof, uses bluecharts and is portable and could be used in a car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-Quest-2-GPS- ... 7C294%3A50

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm 
Sierra

Hey Paul - welcome to iPhone world. I've had mine for a year and a half and love it!

You may have seen my post earlier this week here about the Navionics Mobile app which has the identical data as the Navionics Gold charts. You would have to check the Navionics Mobile site to see if you've got coverage. I love the app but agree with the others that a dedicated GPS, whether portable or fixed, is the way to go. The app on the iPhone is a great backup and way to research and plan away from a computer or the boat. I recently picked up a Garmin Oregon 400c as a backup to my fixed unit and I think it's terrific. The included Blue Chart g2 data has the same level of depth and POI (Point Of Interest) info as the cartography in the larger plotters and I would not in any way feel stranded if my main display went down and I did not have paper charts for the area I was in (which would never happen anyway). For inland lakes there's the 400i. And there are obviously a host of other options.

But immediately, if you at least want to give something a shot, see if your boating area is one of the Navionics charts being offered for the iPhone for $4.99. You can't really go wrong even if you try it a few times and never use it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:20 am 

Thanks for the input guys.

Sierra, I was under the impression that I had to buy the $50 app and THEN add the $5 app for the map that was applicable to my areas. Not true? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 am 
Sierra

pet575 wrote:
Sierra, I was under the impression that I had to buy the $50 app and THEN add the $5 app for the map that was applicable to my areas. Not true? :?:

Nope :D
$4.99 download got me the whole shebang!
From the Navionics site...
Quote:
For a limited time this summer, experts and novices alike can purchase our most popular charts for a fraction of the regular cost. Just think, for the price of a couple of burgers you’re just a few low-calorie taps away from visiting your favorite ports or secret fishing spots - you could be planning a route, setting waypoints, checking tides & currents, and searching for Marinas. That’s a lot of fun for $4.99, and a lot less fattening!

We’re not joking – engineers rarely do! Our North American Apps will be available starting at $4.99.

I hope your area is covered!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 pm 

All right I thought I would play. I downloaded the Gold USA Central which gives me the Lake Erie map. So far I am disappointed. Every time I scroll off the screen to look at a new area my screen goes black and the App shuts down. :evil: I'll play some more but so far I am disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm 
Sierra

Yeah - as I mentioned in my other post it is a little buggy. I've had it quit on me a few times (but not every time - that stinks). I'm sure they'll have a fix coming soon.

Tennja - are you a first generation iPhone or 3G?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:10 pm 

I have a 3G. Still shuts down alot. If I zoom in or out it sems to quit on me. I moved to a different area on the map. Same problem. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 pm 
Sierra

tennja wrote:
I have a 3G. Still shuts down alot. If I zoom in or out it sems to quit on me. I moved to a different area on the map. Same problem. :evil:

Well that really stinks and is much worse than anything I've experienced (it has been tolerable enough for me to recommend the app in good conscience). Assuming you follow-up with them, please let us know what you hear. I'm sure with their marketing blitz they'll be hearing from a lot of people if they are experiencing the same problems you are and will want to nip it in the bud.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 pm 

Sweet, thanks for the additional info. For $5, that is definitely worth a shot to see if it suits my pretty limited needs. I'll report back once I get a chance to try it out on my home lake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 pm 

Sierra wrote:
Well that really stinks and is much worse than anything I've experienced (it has been tolerable enough for me to recommend the app in good conscience). Assuming you follow-up with them, please let us know what you hear. I'm sure with their marketing blitz they'll be hearing from a lot of people if they are experiencing the same problems you are and will want to nip it in the bud.

Yeah right now I am trying to figure out who to contact. I can't find much info on the FAQ section.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:21 pm 

tennja are you working with this new version they are touting as having been released on 5/20/09 or a previous version?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:40 pm 

Gold USA Central Release date May 26th

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm 

To update, I downloaded and tried out this app for my area over the weekend. It was nice if you wanted to sit down and look at some info re: depths, contours, etc. so I was impressed with that. However, I was surprised to find that there was no real-time tracking that would show you upcoming waters as you were moving.

So, it does not have much use for anyone in route out on the water. It IS a decent reference source, though.