www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

pet575 wrote:
After I posted my complaint, I discovered that there is a June 15 ,2009 update available for this application. I downloaded it and will give it a shot tomorrow night. Would be nice if the update was "debugged."

I downloaded my update didn't seem to help my issue anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 pm 

Here is the response I got to my email complaining about the crashing problem:

Quote:
Hi Paul,

I am sorry your experiencing problems.

There are a few options to correct the problem.

First, try to completely hard power down the phone then power back up. This removes any bad memory data and most often solves the problem.

Secondly, if the above does not resolve the issue please follow these steps.

Remove the application from your iPhone. This is easily done by pressing and holding down on the application… once they start wiggling, an “X” appears in a circle on the application icons. Press the “X” on the app, then click Delete.

• Then, delete the application from your iTunes application library as well. Locate the chart icon, right click “Delete”. Click “Remove”, then “Move to recycle bin”.

• Restart your computer, and your iPhone.

• Then go to the App Store, search Navionics, locate the same chart/app, and Buy it just as you did previously. Don’t worry, you wont be charged twice, iTunes will recognize that you have purchased it before… even when it says “are you sure you want to purchase, this will be charged to your credit card”, go ahead and continue… the next message will say “you already bought this app, do you want to download it again for free?” Please do this. Then re sync your iPhone with your application library on your computer.

• Please make sure that when you first launch the app, that your ‘Location Services’ is switched on, and that you agree to “allow” the app to use your current location.

Please let us know how you make out. We want you to be happy with your app.

Best Regards,

Navionics Mobile Team

I'll let you all know how it turns out. In the process of updating to the 3.0 operating system at the moment.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm 
Narwhal

Jim_R wrote:
Brent87LT1 wrote:
Glad it works.

Now for thread jack:
I waited in line with the rest of the geeks on June 29th 2007 for my first iPhone ($500). Then, upgraded to the 3G ($400) because I couldn't wait for upgrade time. Now the new 3GS will cost me $500!

Shouldn't there be some type of customer loyalty program? $1,400 in two years!!!!!
I hate waiting for upgrade eligiblility.................

Umm, even the 32 gig iPone 3G S is only $299. The 16 gig version is $249. I understand that there are planty of 16 gig iPhone 3G models available at $199. Although these are new 2 year subscription or 'upgrade' prices.

Brent, you may be in luck. If you would be eligible for an upgrade in July Aug or Spt, you can buy one at the upgrade pricing starting this Friday 6/19. Yup, it's the new loyalty program for early adopters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 pm 

Appears that just the hard restart alone has helped with the crashing. Though I'm still in my office, I fired up the app and now it doesn't crash right away like it was doing-whether on the lake or sitting here at my desk. We'll see how it works tonight, if the possible thunderstorms don't ruin tonight's fishing trip.

Also downloaded the new 3.0 O.S., gotta wonder if that won't help things too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:40 pm 
GIDDY UP

Jim_R wrote:
Jim_R wrote:
Brent87LT1 wrote:
Glad it works.

Now for thread jack:
I waited in line with the rest of the geeks on June 29th 2007 for my first iPhone ($500). Then, upgraded to the 3G ($400) because I couldn't wait for upgrade time. Now the new 3GS will cost me $500!

Shouldn't there be some type of customer loyalty program? $1,400 in two years!!!!!
I hate waiting for upgrade eligiblility.................

Umm, even the 32 gig iPone 3G S is only $299. The 16 gig version is $249. I understand that there are planty of 16 gig iPhone 3G models available at $199. Although these are new 2 year subscription or 'upgrade' prices.

Jim, Thats my point. I will not be eligible for another year and a half! So $500.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 pm 

pet575 wrote:
Appears that just the hard restart alone has helped with the crashing. Though I'm still in my office, I fired up the app and now it doesn't crash right away like it was doing-whether on the lake or sitting here at my desk. We'll see how it works tonight, if the possible thunderstorms don't ruin tonight's fishing trip.

Also downloaded the new 3.0 O.S., gotta wonder if that won't help things too.

I did the same thing it seemed to fix my problem as well. So far so good. I may actually down load the second set of maps I had my eye on now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 am 
GIDDY UP

FYI, it's actually recommended that you do a hard restart every time you download an app or upgrades to existing apps.

I re-start mine every other day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:01 am 

Thanks Brent, I didn't know that. I find it amusing that Apple/Mac Nazis like to harp on the "it works like it is supposed to" and the "you don't have to restart it all the time" phrases when criticizing Windows, yet the iPhone requires restarting just like a Windows machine would.

Went fishing last night and used the app flawlessly. Never crashed once. I'll try it out over the next few weeks and see if it remains that reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 pm 

pet575 wrote:
Thanks Brent, I didn't know that. I find it amusing that Apple/Mac Nazis like to harp on the "it works like it is supposed to" and the "you don't have to restart it all the time" phrases when criticizing Windows, yet the iPhone requires restarting just like a Windows machine would.

I was thinking the exact same thing :mrgreen: So far so good I even downloaded the other region I wanted no restarts on that one at all.

Thanks for the info Brent I didn't know that either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 am 
Narwhal

Version 2.1 was released a couple days back. My kids both have iPhones, but I carry a Windows Mobile Edition type PDA/ Smartphone, so I called up Navionics to see if they have an app for that. Their response was "no promises, but they do expect apps for a couple other phone OS's soon". Got my fingers crossed. Also heard that they expect regular updates for the iPhone app.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:30 pm 

Jim_R wrote:
Their response was "no promises, but they do expect apps for a couple other phone OS's soon"

They didn't mention the BlackBerry Storm, did they?

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 pm 

robbo3 wrote:
Jim_R wrote:
Their response was "no promises, but they do expect apps for a couple other phone OS's soon"

They didn't mention the BlackBerry Storm, did they?

Given the BB is a major competitor, I can't imagine that Navionics wouldn't be looking to cover the market by also distributing an app for BB. I downloaded 2.1 the day they released it. Not sure I saw many differences in it that I actually use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:01 pm 

pet575 wrote:

Went fishing last night and used the app flawlessly. Never crashed once. I'll try it out over the next few weeks and see if it remains that reliable.

I'm now 2 for 2 since following the advice of the folks over at Navionics. This thing has performed flawlessly since then. Much happier with it now!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 am 

Does anyone know what the difference is between the marine and lakes version of the Navionics maps? It looks a little tricky for which map I should pick up. I'm in MI, so I'm covered by 3 different map versions (marine-great lakes, marine-us central, & lakes-us north). I'm thinking Lakes-US North is what I want to get. I mostly boat on inland lakes so I'm not so concerned about the navigation on the big lake(s). Any thoughts? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:50 pm 

I downloaded the US central which gets me Lake Erie and the Ohio river. Which we use occasionally. I also downloaded "Lakes East" which includes most if not all of the inland lakes we use. I would guess the marine would include the Great Lakes only and the lakes would have the inland lakes of Michigan and surrounding areas. It is kind of hard to follow but if you go to the Navionics site and search around a bit you can find a list of the included lakes. It was accurate for the 4 or so that I was interested in.

Hope that helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next