www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (Recreational) GPS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:13 pm 
Shark

Anyone have any experience with portable GPS units for their boats? I am looking at a GARMIN Nuvi 545 -- used for auto, boat, biking, etc.

Would predominantly be used on local rivers (which don't really require a GPS, but I like the downloadable features)(You can review trips on your computer) and Puget Sound/San Juan Islands region.

I am a recreational boater and navigate in fair weather, so it would not be used for 'instrument' navigation.

Thanks!
At rest in Roche Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington, USA

Post subject: Re: (Recreational) GPS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm 
230 Mike

Garmin eTrex Vista C in a RAM suction cup mount. Works great for me in the boat, the car, geocaching, etc.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I use an older Etrex than Mike, but have a good time with it as well. It serves as the primary speedo for tubing/boarding, etc since my built-in isn't worth a hoot. This is programmed with all my favs, as well as my most common lakes and river sections. I travel a bunch for work, so I keep a Nuvi in the car.

Either way, there's nothing like a Garmin for being user-friendly.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:44 pm 
Whatever

I have a Nuvi 200w in the car, Etrex H for hiking/geocaching, and GPSIII+ for hiking/boating/jeeping. I know, I know, its time for me to upgrade!!!!

I really like the Nuvi set up, very easy to operate, really like the touch screen operation. If the one you are asking about has both street pilot and water nav. I bet it would make a great unit!

As you mentioned, we don't use for navigation, just for fun, marking favorite camp spots, hiking trails, ect..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Magellan SporTrak Pro. On the older side now, but still perfect for marking dive sites, campsites, hot springs, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 pm 
Clownfish

I just set up a Garmin Nuvi on a suction cup in my boat. All I need to know is where I am relative to my cottage and friends cottages sometimes. I set it on "walking" mode and as long as I am in the blue area on the screen I know I'm okay.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm 
Sting Ray

I use the Lowrance XOG cross-over GPS.It is designed for both road and waterway use and it accepts Navionics software.
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/XOG/

Stouffville Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 am 
Whatever

Got a Garmin Nuvi 550 for Christmas, for the boat will have to buy the sd card with maps/charts for inland lakes ($90ish). So far I really like this hybrid GPS, it has the topo maps for my off road jeeping and biking in So Utah/Moab area, tested that out on new years day! You can choose navigation between 4 different modes, walking, driving, biking, scooter. Assuming that when you install sd card with lakes that a boat will be an option as well.

The Nuvi having the touch screen is not the best for hiking, due to size, but really like for car, off road w/Jeep and can wait to use w/boat at Lake Powell this upcoming year.

photo of frozen colorado river, cracks in ice are hard to tell in photo, but ice chunks were 3-5 feet thick. I thought it was impressive for a faster moving river to be frozen over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

230 Mike wrote:
Garmin eTrex Vista C in a RAM suction cup mount. Works great for me in the boat, the car, geocaching, etc.

Does this unit show accurate speeds, water depth and bottom contour? I don't know much about these, but have been interested in getting something for the boat.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm 
Whatever

07H200SS wrote:
230 Mike wrote:

Does this unit show accurate speeds, water depth and bottom contour? I don't know much about these, but have been interested in getting something for the boat.

Any GPS will provide accurate speed. Now for depth and bottom contour, that is a depth sounder/fish finder. Now most of the manufactures do make combination units that have both in one. I just could not see spending that much money in a GPS/sounder that is only going to be used in the boat.

I had a hand held garmin eTrex, nice little units for hiking, but a small screen for use while driving IMO. I am seeing the Nuvi 550 going for as little as $210 shipped.
I still have the nuvi 200w, street pilot 330, and garmin gps III+. Still would like a hand held for geocaching, i have use the eTrex Vista for and really like it for that.
search around on Ebay, you can get any used ones for as cheap as $20-40, that is why I have so many older ones, cant see giving them away!

Go to http://www.garmin.com and search around, see what model fits your liking.
also http://www.gpsnow.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm 
Goldfish

My lake is a real mine field so a GPS is not an option. +1 on the Nuvi 550, I tie it to the windshield support bar with the RAM U-Bolt adapter (made for motorcycle handlebars but works great on boats) and the the Garmin powered cradle that's hooked directly to the boat's electrical harness so no more messing around with the lighter outlet and more stable than the sucction cup, with the backlight at 100% it's pretty good in the sun. I also have an eTrex Venture that I used in the past but the screen is too small to be readable at cruising speed, still better than nothing though.