www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am looking at getting a GPS Chartplotter (I like the Garmin 430 and 530) for my 2003 180 Freedom. Feel free to comment if you like those units or not.

What I am looking for is the place to mount it. I do not like the idea of it (and it would be a tight fit) on the right side of the instrument panel and drilling into the panel. I was thinking of mounting it down by the cupholder (see the picture). The black circle is the current depth finder which I can pull out as the chartplotter will have that feature.

My concern is that it is low and requires me to look down to see the chart and access the functions. I currently have to do that for the depth gauge, but am still not convinced it is the right location. Any suggest of what others have done and/or pictures would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:12 pm 
230 Mike

I don't know how big those units are, but would a suction cup mount on the windshield work?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:22 pm 

Its about 5.9 by 6 inches. It would fit down there (I measured). I was trying to go with a bigger screen and not do the suction cup mount. I would love something mounted (ie factory look) but that is not possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 am 
Narwhal

How about a pic of your dash? I've seen one install on a helm like mine where they relocated the storage area seen through the lower left of the steering wheel, and mounted the GPS there.

Found the thread! - http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2039&p=18108&hilit=+Chartplotter#p18108

Another option I've seen would be to rig a pole mount, and attach to the windshield support rod.

See this thread over at BoatingABC: http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/460919/1.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am 

Thought I had a shot of the dash, but cannot find it. Where your cubby hole is, I have my bildge swtich, ignition, blower, accessory and on the opposite side is the stereo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 am 
Narwhal

I'd consider relocating the Sony HU to the port console storage area (you know - the glove box), placing the Chartplotter in it's place along with a Sony wired remote. Lot of trouble, but it'd be a near OEM look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 pm 

You're going to want your chartplotter up where you can see it while underway, whether you're seated or standing, especially if you are going to use it for night navigation. In this case it will be as much "your eyes" as your actual eyes will be. If it is out of your line of sight, you will end up getting frustrated trying to see it (and any detail on it), while you're also underway and looking outward.

Try to locate the screen at least at the level of the instrument pod, preferably above it. off to the side is fine. And, you want to be able to angle it so that you can see it while standing (using the articulated mount). I would suggest that you experiment with placing the unit in different areas and pretend you are standing and sitting ..... while trying to view the screen.

Suction cupped to the side window, so that it is hanging just to the right of your trim gauge (or fuel, or what ever that one is), would be a good spot.

Look at the SeaSucker mounts for a nice suction-cup mount. They have universal mounts that you affix your equipment mount to, plus specific mounts for some of the popular brands.

http://www.seasucker.com/

Also take a look at the NorthStar chartplotters. I love our 5" model the screen resolution is double that of the similar priced Garmin and others (640 x 480). it uses C-Map chips. It's AIS ready, fuel management ready and integrates with the DSC capable VHF radios.

http://www.northstarnav.com/en/Products/Chartplotters/Explorer-557/

Or ...... the smaller 550i with integrated antenna:

http://www.northstarnav.com/en/Products/Chartplotters/Explorer-550i/Specifications/

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner