www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: In-Hull Transducer?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Love my Faria 2 something inch in dash gauge depth finder. It is amazing and I also have in hull transducer that works perfectly that I installed in my build thread in my signature.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 am 

A thru-hull transducer is normally installed under the engine about 6 inches to the right of the keel and about 2feet ahead of the transom on those boats. That location is a bit of a challenge to get to for a retrofit. I think the ski well between the seats will be too far forward for the transducer to stay in the water all the time. Any transducer needs smooth consistent water flow with no bubbles or it loses bottom and gives erroneous readings. The digital in dash units are better than nothing, but can get "confused" if you are over weeds or ??? I do recommend a graph or graph/GPS combo unit. My personal preference for mounting a transducer is on the transom on a transducer mounting board made of a piece of starboard. The mounting board gives you a surface that will allow future changes in transducers without drilling additional holes in the boat. Transducers have a "cone angle" or coverage area. Sometimes this is approx 20 degrees. With a hull deadrise of ~17 degrees the lake bottom directly below the boat might be near the edge of the cone, or maybe outside of it. This might mean marginal performance.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 am 

^^^ my Faria that i replaced the factory option Lawrence in dash depth. it has a base that is angled and you aligne a deadrise indicator perpendicular to the keel this perfectly aligns the transducer to be perfect vertical. 2 seasons and i have not had one issue with my FARIA depth gauge. Mine is mounted next to the factory transducer. My depth reads spot on to my neighbors Lawrence. I prefer the clean in dash gauge style install to keep the dash clean.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:47 am 
Clownfish

I would always retrofit an in hull system, safer, future proof & simpler. PU sealant also works well for mounting them flat where the inside of the hull might not be. Gives you more mounting options.

My Sundowner the OE dash one does random things so have disabled it, a Hummingbird fish finder has replaced it, so not only depth but a display graph showing change in depth which is handy for shallow waters & it just works great

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm 

If you mean the ski locker that will not work because the bottom of it is not the bottom of the hull, at least on my '88 it's not. The area where it will work is the rear bilge right in front of the engine. Mine had a thru hull type glued there which was never hooked up as far as I could see. It came with a Humminbird fish finder; that's been since replaced by a Garmin GPS/fish finder with a transom mount transducer. The transom mount transducer was easy to install and reads depth well at all speeds.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 pm 

Just an update, because I see this was bumped, and I am the OP :mrgreen:

I installed an in-hull depthfinder (hummingbird) in my 97 Vista 278 in 2012 and it still works great. I never have any problems with it in shallow lake st clair. It reads down to about 1.5' or so. Great unit and having the transducer INside the hull has been no different than in the water, or thru the hull.

379 hours as of 8/8/21