www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Charger Install
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'm installing a ProMariner ProTech 1220i, the instructions say to circuit protect with an in-line fuse 4-7 inches from the battery connection or battery connection point. I plan on wiring 3 strands directly to each of the three batteries and bypassing the existing Four Winns battery charger wiring. Minimum wire gauge for the 20 amp charger and my distance is 10wg, I'm going conservative with 8wg. I've been looking around for an in-line fuse holder that will accept 8wg but I'm not having much luck. I've looked at fuse blocks but there is no where to mount it while maintaining the 7 inch maximum distance not to mention their expensive. Any reccomendations / work arounds?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 am 

Try here. Blue Sea Systems.

http://bluesea.com/category/81

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/refe ... 03-web.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 pm 

I've always used stuff like this. A few bucks at the auto parts store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180946344832?hl ... 500wt_1180

Crimp on some ring terminals with some glue lined shrink tube and you're fine.

I have one of these inline on my car since I relocated the battery in the trunk. Just in case the wire ever shorted. I prefer non-insulated ring terminals i think it works better with the shrink tube, but of course the wire is way bigger then 8 gauge.

You could use this for 8 gauge wire.... and it uses the standard blade fuses
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-1-ATC-8-GAU ... 874wt_1397

Just solder and use glue lined heat shrink, perfect. There's an electrical/geek outlet wholesale scrap store 10 minutes from my house. If they want big $$ for that stuff let me know I can get you everything needed for under $15 shipped

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 pm 

noexcuses wrote:
I'm installing a ProMariner ProTech 1220i, the instructions say to circuit protect with an in-line fuse 4-7 inches from the battery connection or battery connection point. I plan on wiring 3 strands directly to each of the three batteries and bypassing the existing Four Winns battery charger wiring. Minimum wire gauge for the 20 amp charger and my distance is 10wg, I'm going conservative with 8wg. I've been looking around for an in-line fuse holder that will accept 8wg but I'm not having much luck. I've looked at fuse blocks but there is no where to mount it while maintaining the 7 inch maximum distance not to mention their expensive. Any reccomendations / work arounds?

I see no issue with you using any commonly found 12ga (leads, not fuse) in-line fuse holder between your charger leads and battery B+ post. Splice terminal ring to one end and splice the other end to your charger leads. Total length of the fuse holder should be less then 6". 12Ga of that length is more that adequate to carry the load of a 20A 3-bank charger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 pm 
Minnow

I got 30amp 10ga inline fuse holder and terminals at Eastern Marine in Newark De. for my trolling motor on my bass boat. Not too far from Md. if you go up I95. Good place lots of trailer parts and no sales tax in Del.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 pm 

noexcuses wrote:

This is what you are looking for: http://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.a ... t_ID=78330
Is uses common fuses that you can pick up anywere.

I would use tinned wire, butt connectors and round crimp on connectors. I like using a good sealant over the connections too.