www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:45 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So this one really has me stumped.

My gas gage always reads 1/2 of a tank (it used to work right after we got the boat but no more). The needle will move up and down as the boat rocks because of waves but no matter how full or empty the tank is it always shows 1/2 full.

I went to my Seloc manual and it says I should have three wires going to the sender on the gas tank. I only have 2 and it looks like this gage only uses two wires. I took the sender out and manually moved it through its whole wrange of motion.

It is like the center of the gage is wrong. The highest I can make it go is 1/2 but if I move the sender all the way "down" I move the needle on the dash WAY lower than the "E" mark.

Suggetestions? I can't really use the trouble shooting tips in the manual since I don't have the same # of wires as the stock unit.

Photos:
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u42 ... eacb04.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u42 ... eacb04.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 am 
email admin your custom rank

With anything electrical the troubleshooting process usually includes checking connections and wiring for condition. One area to check is the gage and its connections, including the ground system. Use a Volt Ohm meter to check voltage and continuity.

The typical fuel quantity system uses electricity flowing from a source through the gage and wire to the sender in the tank and then to ground. The typical float type fuel quantity sending unit is a variable rheostat. With a full tank the resistance in the rheostat is at or very near zero. I would try a momentary jumper across the two wires at the sender. If this gives a "full" tank reading or pegged needle then the transmitter in the tank is bad. If you don't get a "full" reading then go to the gage. Momentarily connect the sender connection on the gage to ground. This should peg the needle "full". If it does you have a wiring problem, if the needle does not go to "full" then the gage is probably bad. If that is the case I would recommend a bench check of the gage to double check whether the boat wiring is not causing the problem. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon