www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Power Loss
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 pm 
Minnow

We have a 2001 298 Vista that is new to us this fall. We are having some interesting battery issues.

Our house system battery system seems to be losing power somewhere. On leaving the boat, we have turned everything off, including shore power,as we did not need it on. I don't like to leave the battery charger on unless there is a draw, to try to save the battery's life.

With nothing on to draw power, we returned after one week to find the battery level down to 10.5 v. We charged up over the weekend. The following week, we went up and had no house system power at all. I turned the starting batteries switch over and we then got house system power back.

Perhaps also related, with the house battery system working, we started the engines using their dedicated batteries. For some reason the breaker popped on the toilet system.

It is nearly the end of our season, but any ideas are appreciated.

Steve & Gina
2001 298 Vista
Queens Cove Marina

Post subject: Re: Battery Power Loss
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would & do leave the chargers on all the time. A good charger will float the batteries, so NO harm done. The other reason too, if a seastrainer or anything else lets go. There will be pleaty of power to run the pumps.

Remember too, even with the battery switch is setnto off some things still have power. As in pumps, ACC to radio and there could be more. I would first check, how old are the battery/s, clean battery connectors and look for what could be causing the draw. In that order. Remember too, with out shore power, your fridg could be on now running on 12V, but not with the battery switch to "off".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
I would & do leave the chargers on all the time. A good charger will float the batteries, so NO harm done. The other reason too, if a seastrainer or anything else lets go. There will be pleaty of power to run the pumps.

Remember too, even with the battery switch is setnto off some things still have power. As in pumps, ACC to radio and there could be more. I would first check, how old are the battery/s, clean battery connectors and look for what could be causing the draw. In that order. Remember too, with out shore power, your fridg could be on now running on 12V, but not with the battery switch to "off".

+1
Leave the shore power on. You're probably draining the house batteries with just normal docked systems running.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:31 pm 

Had an experience similar with a friends four winns this summer. It turned out to be a slightly dirty connection on the positive battery post on the house battery. I would start there

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm 

Steve,

With the right battery charger/tender, its best to leave it plugged in when the boat is in its slip. If your charger is a multi-stage smart charger, it will recharge the battery, then drop into the float/maintain stage and only keep the battery topped off with a low voltage and current push. This will absolutely prolong the life of the battery. So, look into the specs and features of you on-board.

Next, I would do 1) have the battery tested with an inductance battery tester (not the old style with the toaster grids) and see if it passes or fails. 2) Make sure the battery is actually reaching a full charge of 12.5 to 12.8 depending on its age. If the battery is not able to reach a complete static charge, it will be handicapped as soon as you hit the water and place some loads on it. 3) test the circuit for an actual draw. Some parasitic draws are normal, depending on what devises are wired directly to the battery. What you want to do is to determine if there is a draw, how much of a draw and if its one or more components.

You may ask why not just test for a draw first, here's why. because the boat is new to you, you may not now the age of the battery and how they have been used and abused. If the battery is old, and has been subjected to deep cycles do to an unwanted and excessive parasitic draw, then it may not be able to reach a full charge. So if the draw is found and corrected first, the dead battery symptom may still be present do to a bad battery. Its a cause and effect thing. Don't fix the effect, fix the root cause.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 pm 
Minnow

Thanks everyone for your info so far. The batteries are new 27 series, wired together. The battery charger was installed just before I purchased the boat...will have to better examine how well it was installed. Will start to leave it on. My concern is when we anchor out.

The only thing I am aware of that is wired direct is the bilge pump. Everything else was turned off by breaker at the board.

I am wondering about whether a bad cell in one of the batteries would draw the power down. Also wondering why starting the boat on the isolated batteries would cause the breaker for the vacuflush to pop.

Thanks again everyone. Will keep looking for your thoughts. This is a great source for me...new to powerboating after 15 years of sailing. Absolutely loving it so far...

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 pm 

SteveJ wrote:
Thanks everyone for your info so far. The batteries are new 27 series, wired together. The battery charger was installed just before I purchased the boat...will have to better examine how well it was installed. Will start to leave it on. My concern is when we anchor out.

The only thing I am aware of that is wired direct is the bilge pump. Everything else was turned off by breaker at the board.

I am wondering about whether a bad cell in one of the batteries would draw the power down. Also wondering why starting the boat on the isolated batteries would cause the breaker for the vacuflush to pop.

Thanks again everyone. Will keep looking for your thoughts. This is a great source for me...new to powerboating after 15 years of sailing. Absolutely loving it so far...

Steve

If it was me, I would not put them "wired together." If one battery starts to fail, it will bring the good battery down with it. I would use a battery combiner to keep them charged when running the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 am 
Minnow

Thanks again everyone for the info. Looks like our vacuflush is draining power...will
have to resolve in the spring.
Steve