www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:10 pm 
Seahorse

Hi everyone. I bought my first boat (2007 Four Winns H190) last November, and literally put it in storage the same day. Now that it's finally launched for this Spring, I need your opinion. I see that I have 2 batteries with an A/B/AB/Off switch. The switch looks factory installed, but I don't know enough to tell the difference. Anyway, battery #1 is a deep cycle, and battery #2 is a starting battery. This is a typical H190, with a standard stereo, no fancy lights, no wake tower, and standard gauges. My questions are:

1) Why the need for a deep cycle battery in either position? Why not 2 starting batteries?

2) If there is some need for a deep cycle battery, is the normal position for it in the #1 slot, or would the starting battery go there, and the deep cycle go in the #2 position?

3) Does the alternator charge both/either batteries assuming I have the selector switch in the proper position?

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 pm 
230 Mike

A deep cycle generally isn't necessary, but can be better for long periods of discharge - sitting at anchor with the stereo or lights on for hours at a time, etc. Many (most?) of the FW bow riders are delivered with a pair of "dual purpose" batteries which are a compromise between starting and deep cycle (and in my experience, a great choice). The original dealer who sold your boat may have had a different opinion about what was best, or the original owner may have requested the different batteries. I assume, being an '07, they are still original - and if so it's time to replace them.

The alternator will charge both if you have the switch set to Both. Different people have different opinions about how to maintain a dual battery setup. The method I choose (with a pair of dual purpose Interstates) is to run on 1 for half the day, then switch to 2. I never run on Both and wouldn't, unless both are run down to the point that neither will start the engine by itself. I like knowing which battery is "1" and which is "2," so I've added labels to the switch to identify which is which.

The only hard & fast rule is, NEVER move the switch to or through the Off position while the engine is running. Alternator damage will result.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Thu May 16, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

230 Mike wrote:
A deep cycle generally isn't necessary, but can be better for long periods of discharge - sitting at anchor with the stereo or lights on for hours at a time, etc. Many (most?) of the FW bow riders are delivered with a pair of "dual purpose" batteries which are a compromise between starting and deep cycle (and in my experience, a great choice). The original dealer who sold your boat may have had a different opinion about what was best, or the original owner may have requested the different batteries. I assume, being an '07, they are still original - and if so it's time to replace them.

The alternator will charge both if you have the switch set to Both. Different people have different opinions about how to maintain a dual battery setup. The method I choose (with a pair of dual purpose Interstates) is to run on 1 for half the day, then switch to 2. I never run on Both and wouldn't, unless both are run down to the point that neither will start the battery by itself. I like knowing which battery is "1" and which is "2," so I've added labels to the switch to identify which is which.

The only hard & fast rule is, NEVER move the switch to or through the Off position while the engine is running. Alternator damage will result.

Yep!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

In the off chance your 2007 model batteries have lived on a battery tender, they may still perform well.
Have them load tested before you spend your hard earned! :wink: